Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (6 Viewers)

The main thing that impresses me about God is how he keeps everything so subtle.
If he's not setting people on fire, or turning them to rocks, he's concocting other ways to kill them. He;s the definition of all work and no play, and I respect him for it.

And that he really really doesn't like fags.

there are reports out that the BCG vaccine may lessen the effects of this pox. a chap i know who trained as an immunologist is very, very wary of them though, probably the press latching onto a minor issue and exaggerating it - e.g. it may be that for a year or two after it confers benefit but the effects tail off.

I'm loving the conspiracy that Tom Hanks never had coronavirus and only pretended in order to get Americans to take it seriously. Kind of falls apart when you realize that it didn't lead to America taking it seriously.

Anyway, the CIA tried to investigate China because it didn't believe their numbers and concluded that China doesn't know how many cases it had either. Plus some baseless speculation that the Chinese are all liars so who knows.

Has anyone else zoned out a bit on the numbers each day? The infection numbers anyway. I glance at them at some stage in the evening (whereas 2 weeks ago I was actively seeking out what time they'd be released) and try to figure out for 5 seconds if that's an encouraging number or not and then get on with my day,

The deaths still get to me a bit, when we started hitting double digits every day it felt like a massive downer, like we'd hit a depressing new stage of this. The daily figures from Italy and Spain I've become a but numbed too, they're too big for me to process day after day.

I had a dream that I found two masks last night. Reading some jeeves and wooster before bed and I was getting surprised that they weren't practicing social distancing and having parties. This thing is weird as fuck, we're all going to be nuts by the "end" of this. I can feel the pressure in my head constantly.

Has anyone else zoned out a bit on the numbers each day? The infection numbers anyway. I glance at them at some stage in the evening (whereas 2 weeks ago I was actively seeking out what time they'd be released) and try to figure out for 5 seconds if that's an encouraging number or not and then get on with my day,

The deaths still get to me a bit, when we started hitting double digits every day it felt like a massive downer, like we'd hit a depressing new stage of this. The daily figures from Italy and Spain I've become a but numbed too, they're too big for me to process day after day.
I can't look anymore. To use the teen meme language "I pretend I don't see it."

Its become meaningless, which is horrible.

I find it really weird seeing people do normal stuff on tv - mingling and not crossing the street to get away from each other etc. I listen to the main news now but I don't listen to all the discussion and analysis anymore (except for the calm and reasoned analysis provided by yourselves, pricks).

I find it really weird seeing people do normal stuff on tv - mingling and not crossing the street to get away from each other etc. I listen to the main news now but I don't listen to all the discussion and analysis anymore (except for the calm and reasoned analysis provided by yourselves, pricks).
Yes I keep doing this as well, thinking "how are they gonna do that without touching anyone?" every few seconds. The psychic toll is building up for sure.

We are working really hard to keep it normal here, for personal sanity and for the sake of the 7.5 and 2.5 year old. So we don't watch the news, we are keeping the whole thing an interesting adventure, as much as possible. Someone posted a good diagram earlier, things you can control v things you can't - anything you can't personally control isn't deserving of your energy. Take good care of yourselves.

American exceptionalism.

I suppose it should be expected giving the larger population and that a per capita comparison would look different also the sheer size of the US means it the cases are much more spread out and smaller per area also It still is an alarming curve.

It's mental what's going on, this is the biggest non-wartime stress test free-market fundamentalists have ever faced and they are failing all across the board. I'm not gonna say capitalism will never recover but yes I am, fuck it.

It's mental what's going on, this is the biggest non-wartime stress test free-market fundamentalists have ever faced and they are failing all across the board. I'm not gonna say capitalism will never recover but yes I am, fuck it.

On the topic of pretending to be plato and the crew sitting about in robes in mini ampitheatres chewing on the fat of society.

One thing I've been trying to write a piece about (AN ENVIRONMENTAL ONE) for ages is that we never really left world war two in industrial terms, if anything we have just gone deeper in. There are loads of interesting sides to it that are fascinating - here are a few tasters:

Italian airplane factories wanted to stay going so they invented vespas.

English bus factories re-tooled for aluminium to make planes, post war the london bus was made with these tools. It was actually mostly wood on a steel frame pre-war.

The post war division of industrial size steel presses (of which there were a really shockingly small amount of at the time) shaped the direction of the european and american auto industries - part of the reason american things got huge.

Airports didn't really exist, seaplanes were the only thing. WW2 put airstrips everywhere birthing the commercial air travel industry.

And we more or less lived among those products since, the transistor being probaly the most notable piece of engineering not tied directly* to ww2. This is the first realy interruption of that.

*Japans post war poverty put them in a position where they needed to compete, which they are just great at, so although they didn't invent the transistor they were huge in its mass market development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back