Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (9 Viewers)

The answer, of course, is to not start 2+ weeks too late after the country where the virus came from and had by far the most experience of it told everybody what to do, and I'm fucked if I'm gonna write you a manifesto explaining how bloody obvious that is.
This is just stupid. It wasn't obvious at the time.

Oh I dunno, even leaving aside what China told us back in January (which we ignored for mostly deep-seated unconscious racist reasons/ a total lack of faith in the news to be in any way accurate) I think it's fair to say that when a pandemic was declared (12th March) we should have immediately implemented lockdown (didn't happen till the 27th).

We're doing better than some countries, the ones doing best are the ones who listened to China.

Last edited:
It should have been obvious something had to be done a lot earlier. Not obvious to everyone, just to people who are responsible for keeping an eye on stuff like pandemics, assuming there is someone like that. Here is an economics guy saying "the coronavirus is the biggest story in the world" 2+ weeks before we did anything about it here. If he knew it why didn't somebody here see it coming? Interesting article, that one. Still, despite starting a bit later than it might have and despite everything else wrong with them, the people who happen to be in charge at this time are doing alright with this particular thing imo.

I think it's fair to say that when a pandemic was declared ...
No, it's not fair to say.

There are doctors, epidemiologists and data scientists working on this around the clock. They're trying their damnedest to make sense of the data we have, and to figure out how to fill the gaps where we're missing data. Lawyers had to draft emergency legislation to make the lockdown possible, and it had to get through the Dáil (and presumably the senate). Economists are trying to predict what economic effects all this will have, and plan for them.

The government has to try and understand all the advice they're getting so they can balance level of risk against economic damage. They have to figure out what they can lock down without disrupting supply chains for essential services, figure out how to increase hospital bed capacity, how to get access to university RNA sequencing machines for testing - all while knowing that they don't have near enough data, and that no matter what they do the economy is fucked and people are going to die

If any of think that what we should do was "obvious" 4 weeks ago, then you have no conception of how complex this all is. The government appears to be following the best medical advice it can find. If you think you personally know better, or would do a better job, then you need to deflate your ego and grow the fuck up

exactly, What @egg_ said

The WHO are the body responsible for issuing advice around this. Their advice has been pretty clear all along. The restrictions were introduced piecemeal, for good reason.

And lets not forget they called pandemic before time, because of some countries acting the absolute fuck.

Its a free country so feel free to take an economist's word on a virus, over that of actual experts in actual viruses.

There's lots we can say in hindsight. But, question, should we have shut down the world in 2002 when the SARS outbreak occurred? Just curious what those who know better than the WHO think about that one.

This is just stupid. It wasn't obvious at the time.

Really, weird that I was going around saying it then, and that a bunch of other people here are also saying it, and that shitloads of virus experts all over the world were saying it, especially the ones who'd actually worked in China, and that all the countries around China actually did it.
I guess we know better because we're Europeans though.

Scutter - it's okay to admit you were wrong about something. Better than pretending it was a joke. We were all operating in the dark to some extent back then. It's understandable. And it seems so long ago now anyway.

Anyway lads - everyone should calm down a bit. This thread on Thumped has been a bit of a refuge recently from people arguing with each about who is more or less right.

For what it's worth .... I think some stuff could have been done earlier (closing schools etc) but that doesn't mean the government are doing a terrible job (even if some of the problems they are facing - e.g. lack of hospital bed capacity - are somewhat of their own making). As Dudley says - way better than those idiots in the UK.

No, it's not fair to say.

There are doctors, epidemiologists and data scientists working on this around the clock. They're trying their damnedest to make sense of the data we have, and to figure out how to fill the gaps where we're missing data. Lawyers had to draft emergency legislation to make the lockdown possible, and it had to get through the Dáil (and presumably the senate). Economists are trying to predict what economic effects all this will have, and plan for them.

The government has to try and understand all the advice they're getting so they can balance level of risk against economic damage. They have to figure out what they can lock down without disrupting supply chains for essential services, figure out how to increase hospital bed capacity, how to get access to university RNA sequencing machines for testing - all while knowing that they don't have near enough data, and that no matter what they do the economy is fucked and people are going to die
When did I say any of this wasn't happening? Neither of us know how long it can take to push emergency legislation through all the required channels but maybe if they had been paying attention to China they could have got all these gears in motion weeks beforehand. Hell maybe they did, maybe they wanted to impose a lockdown on the day the WHO declared a pandemic but were unable to.

As for economists, they represent the side they're on, it's not a neutral subject.

If any of think that what we should do was "obvious" 4 weeks ago, then you have no conception of how complex this all is. The government appears to be following the best medical advice it can find. If you think you personally know better, or would do a better job, then you need to deflate your ego and grow the fuck up
The government make decisions based on a lot of factors and they didn't stop being Fine Gael just because a crisis happened.

As i've said repeatedly, I think Fine Gael are doing a fairly decent job considering who they are, but that doesn't make them immune to criticism. I'd probably have taken the same course if I was them, and i'd have been wrong to do so as well. Hell, 4 weeks ago Magicbastarder was warning of unheard of lockdowns and I was lol-ing in his face.

but sure, hurl some more personal insults at me why don't you.

exactly, What @egg_ said

The WHO are the body responsible for issuing advice around this. Their advice has been pretty clear all along. The restrictions were introduced piecemeal, for good reason.

And lets not forget they called pandemic before time, because of some countries acting the absolute fuck.
Are you...questioning the experts????

I think you need to go off and have a think about how your ego is getting in the way here.

Its a free country so feel free to take an economist's word on a virus, over that of actual experts in actual viruses.

There's lots we can say in hindsight. But, question, should we have shut down the world in 2002 when the SARS outbreak occurred? Just curious what those who know better than the WHO think about that one.
Well apparently we're not actually allowed say anything in hindsight.

business-people-hugging-580x358.jpg

Group cyber hug, guys

Scutter - it's okay to admit you were wrong about something. Better than pretending it was a joke. We were all operating in the dark to some extent back then. It's understandable. And it seems so long ago now anyway.

Ah it's the kind of joke he makes alright, anyway Sweden have taken his advice so let's see if they end up totally fucked or not

Edit: It's also the kind of joke I make sometimes too haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back