Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (9 Viewers)

I hope not, I’ve a load in order.

I paid more to get the ones made in Turkey but I read it wrong. Made in China and posted from Turkey.
Got an email to say that they’ll be in the post once quarantine has ended 😞

I hope not, I’ve a load in order.

I paid more to get the ones made in Turkey but I read it wrong. Made in China and posted from Turkey.
Got an email to say that they’ll be in the post once quarantine has ended 😞

unless you’re wearing goggles, yes they are mostly pointless.
The virus can be contracted through the feckin eyeball!
ocular transmission

Covid 19 seems to be no more deadly than the common cold. The people who are dying are old AND already have serious health issues, these types of people die of colds and flu all the time. If I was a healthy pensioner* I'd be booking a trip to Venice, suddenly cheap and uncrowded,

*instead of a completely broke, middle-aged, working mother.

have to agree. It's going to come here eventually so why fight it? Its hard not to think the best way to deal with it is to let it arrive, and when people get it, give them a few days off work til they get better.

The hysteria is more frightening than the virus itself. We'll end up trashing businesses and entire industries trying to stop something that can't be stopped. So, fuck it, bring it on. Flu is a bastard, but we don't shut down the entire planet because of it.

Speaking as someone with a compromised immune system I'm only mildly terrified.

Covid 19 seems to be no more deadly than the common cold.
This is just plain wrong. The common cold is not flu, and flu is not COVID-19

The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu.

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. That's much higher than the death rate linked to flu, which is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times.

Even so, the death rate for COVID-19 varied by location and an individual’s age, among other factors. For instance, in Hubei Province, the epicenter of the outbreak, the death rate reached 2.9%; in other provinces of China, that rate was just 0.4%.

( see How does the new coronavirus compare with the flu?)

Also the transmission rate of COVID-19 seems to be substantially higher than the flu

Also the transmission rate of COVID-19 seems to be substantially higher than the flu

people vaccinate against the flu. A more accurate comparison would be against the transmission rate in the first months of the flu. Probably flawed also, as travel, etc, wouldn't have been as easy or prevalent between countries in those times.

people vaccinate against the flu
So what? The only comparison that matters is the real-life transmission rate.

Here's another study - Study of 72,000 COVID-19 patients finds 2.3% death rate
A 2.3% death rate is 23 times higher than the flu. Estimated transmission rate from the study above is about 75% higher than the flu.

This probably isn't the end of the world, but it is serious. Do you naysayers think that you personally are smarter and better informed than the people who are deciding to shut down cities to protect their citizens?

Oh BTW another COVID-19 complication is it results in a lot of hospitalisation - there's a lot of theorising about why the death rate in Hubei province is higher than the rest of China, and the most plausible thing I've seen is that the hospitals got overwhelmed so people couldn't get the respiratory care they need, so they died. That could happen elsewhere too if things get out of hand - it's not as if Ireland has a particularly resilient heathcare system

This probably isn't the end of the world, but it is serious. Do you naysayers think that you personally are smarter and better informed than the people who are deciding to shut down cities to protect their citizens?

protect their citizens, how exactly?

Certain measures are definitely sensible to try and slow the spread, and manage it as it happens. A surge of cases requiring treatment (bearing in mind the vast majority of cases require no treatment or hospitalisation), wouldn't do anyone any good.

This should be treated in the same way flu is treated. Not great, but lets not stop the world from turning because that prospect isn't great either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back