Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (14 Viewers)

In the last couple of months I've gone from what feels like knowing comparatively few people who've had it to loads of people who did and mostly described it as not too bad.

Still don't want it though. Thought I was sure to get it after the 2 funerals post xmas but seem to have been ok.
same, lots of people I know are getting it. One of my sister's kids has it and none of the rest of them (her, her husband and 2 other kids) are catching it. They are doing daily antigens, all negative.

And for those who are getting it, their symptoms sound a lot milder than the absolute thumping I got from the booster.

I'm going over to visit my daughter Daisy this afternoon ,shes finally out of isolation.

I'll tell you's what.. the kid has been properly sick . Its horrible to see and caused me great worry.
But she seems a lot better now. Still tired AF

Glad she's on the mend. Sorry she's had a shit time with it.

From what I've been able to glean from scientists on Twitter, Omicron is as big a problem as every other variant and the mostly milder symptoms that are more likely to be in your throat and not in your chest are more than made up for by a) the speed and ease that it spreads and b) milder breathing symptoms having nothing to do with whether or not you get long-covid.

Not that I have any solutions here, i'm just not particularly positive about it all. I'm just trying to get on with things along with everyone else.

LILI DOWNER
Another downer thing I've been reading: this whole "viruses evolve to be less fatal" thing is bullshit as well.

FJPd95CUUAMhU38

Another downer thing I've been reading: this whole "viruses evolve to be less fatal" thing is bullshit as well.
"Bullshit" is a poor choice of word here tbh.

None of your internalised ideas of how viruses work is correct - they're all simplifications, and some are more accurate than others. If a virus kills you instantly its transmission is impeded. If it makes you so sick that you stay in your room, then its transmission is impeded too. A virus that transmits before you get any symptoms would have the best chance of becoming widespread, but often the symptoms are how the virus gets transmitted - coughs, sneezes, runny nose, etc.

And then the above is just hand-wavy descriptions of what's really happening, which is viral genetic information being replicated in your cells, passing into the outside world, and then getting replicated in someone else cells ... which is itself just a hand-wavy description of stuff that's happening at the molecular level (which again is probably a hand-wavy description of quantum stuff)

All models are wrong, some are useful. Spanish flu became less dangerous over time, maybe covid will too. Who knows what the future holds?

Please, just leave me be egg, I don't want to argue with you. Consider everything I say as not applying to you.

But like that's an obvious thing. It's not like shit like the Plague or Smallpox ever got less fatal to people, we just got rid of them using an understanding of how they work.
What do you reckon we should be doing that we're not? Genuine question. I'm just riding it out at this point and hoping I emerge unscathed.

my understanding was that virus *can* evolve to be less dangerous, but that somehow people began to think that was inevitable. but it happens sometimes.
and that sometimes diseases become less common or less dangerous, but that's because they've managed to kill off everyone who was susceptible, and the survivors are the ones with natural immunity and pass those genes on; in effect it forces humans to evolve to be more resistant, rather than the disease evolving to be less virulent.

What do you reckon we should be doing that we're not? Genuine question. I'm just riding it out at this point and hoping I emerge unscathed.
Ha, the covid horse bolted in Feb 2020. What we should have done was systematically shut down/rerouted flights in any area where the virus was detected, locked those areas down properly, and got rid of it before it had a chance to spread everywhere. Instead we let the global airline industry spread it all over the world. Everything since then is just damage limitation.

my understanding was that virus *can* evolve to be less dangerous, but that somehow people began to think that was inevitable. but it happens sometimes.
and that sometimes diseases become less common or less dangerous, but that's because they've managed to kill off everyone who was susceptible, and the survivors are the ones with natural immunity and pass those genes on; in effect it forces humans to evolve to be more resistant, rather than the disease evolving to be less virulent.
Sounds about right yeah.

I'm obviously speaking in generalities here, more about the vibes i'm seeing coming from family, friends and my social bubble, but i've just noticed the received wisdom recently being that this variant is "proof" that diseases become "less dangerous".

I remember way back in, like, June 2020 or so people were saying the same thing, along with the herd immunity idea, but then it faded away. The idea now seems to have remerged with Omicron, although the herd immunity idea largely hasn't?

Sounds about right yeah.

I'm obviously speaking in generalities here, more about the vibes i'm seeing coming from family, friends and my social bubble, but i've just noticed the received wisdom recently being that this variant is "proof" that diseases become "less dangerous".

I remember way back in, like, June 2020 or so people were saying the same thing, along with the herd immunity idea, but then it faded away. The idea now seems to have remerged with Omicron, although the herd immunity idea largely hasn't?
Herd immunity has come back up (although not perhaps as a management strategy) in terms of the sheer number of people who will have had covid by the end of this wave will confer a level of immunity worldwide.

To the point on mutating to be less contagious - there’s no guarantee one way or another. There is an advantage to a virus to be highly contagious and not immobilise or kill it’s host, and omicron quickly became the dominant variant where ever it got established. Somewhere there could be another variant that will be equally infectious, have a longer asymptomatic transmission period, and cause more disease, or omicron could mutate into something as tramissable but milder.

Equally the next seasonal flu could be a killer - may be smaller odds, but within a range of possibilities

So not bullshit per se, just bullshit if the other possibilities aren’t discussed alongside.

Herd immunity has come back up (although not perhaps as a management strategy) in terms of the sheer number of people who will have had covid by the end of this wave will confer a level of immunity worldwide.

To the point on mutating to be less contagious - there’s no guarantee one way or another. There is an advantage to a virus to be highly contagious and not immobilise or kill it’s host, and omicron quickly became the dominant variant where ever it got established. Somewhere there could be another variant that will be equally infectious, have a longer asymptomatic transmission period, and cause more disease, or omicron could mutate into something as tramissable but milder.

Equally the next seasonal flu could be a killer - may be smaller odds, but within a range of possibilities

So not bullshit per se, just bullshit if the other possibilities aren’t discussed alongside.
Not bullshit "per se", fucking hell, you too! Stop trying to make my glib line nuanced!

I think people have been catching Omicron a second time in South Africa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back