Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (10 Viewers)

Vaccination rates in eastern Europe lag far behind the Irish performance. Just 53.9 per cent of Poles are fully vaccinated. Vaccination rates in Croatia are at 47.7 per cent, 63.4 per cent in Lithuania, 46.1 per cent Slovakia, and it goes on.

Figures from the Health Service Executive this week show that vaccine uptake rates among those from central and eastern Europe living in Ireland are much, much lower.

More than a quarter of those in intensive care beds in September and October were not born in Ireland and 57 per cent of them were not vaccinated at all, or just partially vaccinated, said HSE director general Paul Reid.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

saw on Al Jazeera today that the Cook Islands (vax rate 96%) has had their first postive Covid case.
the Covid case arrived from NZ.
I was there for a week in September 2000. Beautiful place a thousand miles from anywhere that just had a couple of Air New Zealand stopover flights a week. Ideal spot to see out a global pandemic.

I have no real problem with with people traveling home to see long separated family after this length of time. seeing yer folks is neccessary sometimes.
but simple holidays? nah - still not a good idea. airports have got to be risky with people coming from all over the place.

I feel like some people are still making a lot of sacrifices and others are taking a lot of liberties.
agreed, but its still probably, statistically, more dangerous to go to a nightclub than to go on holidays to spain for a week and keep within your own pod.

agreed, but its still probably, statistically, more dangerous to go to a nightclub than to go on holidays to spain for a week and keep within your own pod.
What rightly annoys me is people being told to limit home visits when visiting friends at home is all I have left socially, yet again.
That some people are going to nightclubs, large gigs, on holidays, 50,000 at matches (with some fans not wearing masks)
is IMO taking the piss.

I am involved in a social group for people with mental health issues.
Three weeks ago after consulting with a doctor, we felt we had no option but to stop meeting after only resuming meeting indoors in October for the first time in nearly a year
I want to go to lots of gigs like I did in 2019 but it's realistic anymore

Heard some figures thrown out the other day that Covid is expected to be putting pressure on the NHS for the next 3-5 years and Covid tests are expected to be in practice for a decade.

At this point i'm just looking at the difference between people in the global south desperately calling for access to vaccines and being denied because patents and profits are more important than their lives, i.e. vaccine apartheid, and pathetic first-worlders crying about their personal freedoms and how it's vaccine-apartheid that they don't get their treats if they don't take their medicine.

Also, something about the Omicron wave is coming and there's nothing we can do about it except, at best, push it out by a few weeks and be a little better prepared for it.

a lot of the thinking around my recent rants on this thread was to do with climate change.
if we can't take a few Covid restrictions then there is even less will among the public than I thought to reel in mindless consumerism, unnecessary jobs and other waste.
the government barely care and the multinationals never cared and are probably prepping by buying up NZ.
but I thought regular folks might be more concerned and clued in.

a lot of the thinking around my recent rants on this thread was to do with climate change.
there are several parallels with the climate crisis - the situation not being taken seriously until it's too late, many of the public not willing to make the sacrifices necessary, parallels to vaccine nationalism and 'what about china, they're the bad guys?', the short term cost of action being cheaper than long term remediation but too few nations willing to look to the long term, etc.

Consistently grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory. 100% fucked when it comes to climate change.

You know when we were young and our mates went travelling/you went travelling?

Those vaccines people got for malaria or typhoid or other nasty sounding things we're fortunate enough not to have to worry about in this country.

Were they mandatory for entering countries where they were prevalent or was it just a really bad idea to travel there without them?

Just wondering if the point about compulsory vaccination being a new step like people have been giving out about.

It's just American freedom brainworms. Make the vaccines compulsory, fuck it, you'll get your precious "freedom" quicker if we don't have to lock down every 20 seconds for the next decade.

You know when we were young and our mates went travelling/you went travelling?

Those vaccines people got for malaria or typhoid or other nasty sounding things we're fortunate enough not to have to worry about in this country.

Were they mandatory for entering countries where they were prevalent or was it just a really bad idea to travel there without them?

Just wondering if the point about compulsory vaccination being a new step like people have been giving out about.
Sadly, it’s been a while since I’ve travelled to a country that required vaccination. I think it was recommended but possibly not mandatory. But I don’t think you could get travel insurance without getting them.

I could have that all totally arseways though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back