Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (10 Viewers)

yep, I reckon so.

a related point: I was feeling like I was *also* in an impossible situation, because I didn’t want to be presenting some kind of centrist-big-brother appeal-to-authority type of perspective. I *also* hate all the apps and passes and checks and tests and authoritarian bio-politics. covid passes *are* a restriction of freedom. it’s just that his world doesn’t ever seem to involve responsibilities, or trade-offs, or adapting to the needs of a community, or anything like that. so that’s why I was trying to emphasise the idea of solidarity. that a restriction of freedom can be balanced against the needs of a community, etc.
The USA's absolute monopoly over the word "freedom" (or the slightly more subtle stand *against* authoritarianism) is, while laughable, also pretty powerful and I've always found it tremendously difficult to argue against. You (I) end up going down paths talking about "what about the freedom to thrive?" or "the freedom to not be stuck in a job you hate" that are never that convincing. Freedom freedom freedom. We've 100% imported that attitude.

The USA's absolute monopoly over the word "freedom" (or the slightly more subtle stand *against* authoritarianism) is, while laughable, also pretty powerful and I've always found it tremendously difficult to argue against. You (I) end up going down paths talking about "what about the freedom to thrive?" or "the freedom to not be stuck in a job you hate" that are never that convincing. Freedom freedom freedom. We've 100% imported that attitude.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

was just talking to a lad in vienna; their numbers are very high too; the austrian population is less than double ours, but their cases are above 8K for the last four or five days.

here in Bogger land I'd say more locals have tested positive in recent weeks than the whole previous 18 months.
it's not any worse than elsewhere but before we were relatively unscathed.
the only person who died locally with Covid was a woman (about 40) terminally ill with cancer last winter.

are there any precedents which might help inform the debate, i wonder?
i do recall a minor, almost trivial, twitter spat about people hoping for organ transplants being told they won't get them unless they're vaccinated - but that's more related to a specific set of circumstances regarding being on immunosuppresants after receiving a transplant IIRC;, and it being part of assessment for transplant that you'll engage properly with the docs and make sure you'll give the transplant the best chance (i.e. they wouldn't want to give a lung transplant to a smoker who's cavalier about the idea of taking up smoking again)

Is this a particularly cruel road to go down or a fair decision to take for those who choose to opt out of society?

Seems fairly cruel but I guess it aligns with Singapore's draconian approach to chewing gum, littering, etc. Let alone taking drugs, or being gay, god save us.

i checked and they have one of the highest vaccination rates in the world- so it would seem that they are just being cunts.

am now curious as to whether singapore has a public health system which is now breaking tradition and charging for its services; or whether it doesn't, but they had waived fees for covid treatment?

they're still a bit behind ireland on vaccination rates, which i found surprising (nearly double the population % unvaccinated)

Seems fairly cruel but I guess it aligns with Singapore's draconian approach to chewing gum, littering, etc. Let alone taking drugs, or being gay, god save us.

i checked and they have one of the highest vaccination rates in the world- so it would seem that they are just being cunts.
Well yeah, as opposed to our own incredibly humane two-tier health system.

Well yeah, as opposed to our own incredibly humane two-tier health system.

My point was more that they seem to have a disciplinarian system in general and this seems to fall in line with that. Based on their vaccination rates (>82% of total population) the gains of introducing this poilicy would seem to be marginal, it seems as much about punishment for non compliance?

am now curious as to whether singapore has a public health system which is now breaking tradition and charging for its services; or whether it doesn't, but they had waived fees for covid treatment?

they're still a bit behind ireland on vaccination rates, which i found surprising (nearly double the population % unvaccinated)
according to the google they are no. 5 in world? ireland down at 75% for comparison

1636497381329.png

i think we've been fudging our numbers with "eligible vaccinated" numbers for quite a while now.

reuters reports max of about the same, based on vaccination shots given, but states that's based on the assumption of two doses required for full vaccination - but that does not take into account the janssen/johnson and johnson vaccine. so that 74% figure is also verging on fiction.

e.g. if the ~7.5m shots administered were broken down to 1m 'one shot' vaccines and 6.5m 'two shot' ones, that's - in theory - enough to fully vaccinate 4.25m people rather than the 3.75m based on a two shot assumption. so it all depends on how many people got the J&J one (but i strongly doubt it's even close to a million)

edit: less than a quarter of a million J&J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back