Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (9 Viewers)

Aye that's what I meant, basically I'm saying why the fuck aren't they using the quick tests that work well enough?
not sure, they seem to think they aren't good enough.
An Ab test should work. What amplifying, sequencing and aligning buys you is picking up new strains.

Assuming there are let's say three (?) strains, you can point an Ab test at each and screen for that.

I dunno. Underling. I'm going from what I know which is probably out of date.

If it’s just a positive/negative result there’s no need to sequence and compare. The primers are directed at an RNA sequence unique to the virus, so only that will be amplified if it is present. So the ligands with the markers on them will either bind (positive) or not (negative). You read it like a western blot I think?

(I haven’t done a PCR in 15+ years but we’d routinely do PCR for genotyping mice in a previous lab and it worked like that, I think?)

3462.jpg

Although most people deserve it right now for sure
Considering the brick work provided guidelines, that’s a spectacularly unevenly painted sign. I guess their arms were probably tired from hammering nails into teenagers knees

If it’s just a positive/negative result there’s no need to sequence and compare. The primers are directed at an RNA sequence unique to the virus, so only that will be amplified if it is present. So the ligands with the markers on them will either bind (positive) or not (negative). You read it like a western blot I think?

(I haven’t done a PCR in 15+ years but we’d routinely do PCR for genotyping mice in a previous lab and it worked like that, I think?)

ahh, duh. Right. OK.

Probably should have known that seeing as I spent about a year designing primers in my last job.
I was stuck thinking abuot doing things the way I'm doing things now.

Dumb. Thanks @Cornu Ammonis .

Considering the brick work provided guidelines, that’s a spectacularly unevenly painted sign. I guess their arms were probably tired from hammering nails into teenagers knees
given the state of the sign, I imagined it being done by some not very intimidating 12 year olds, and it ruined the overall feel of it it for me. So just just carried on ratting people out.

This PCR test 72 hour req looks close to an impossibility for me.

The waiting time for the test results are 5-7 days, meaning by the time I get them they'll be over the 72hour limit and useless. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Are people really able to get tested, get notified of the results, and arrive in the country in 72 hours? I guess an average PCR assay takes roughly a 6-8 hours. I think? I suppose it's possible.

I don't think I'll have any chance to get inside this 72 hour window. That's annoying.

Everyone else is able to just get this done I guess? Hm.

edit.. wait... that's just the PCR, then they have to sequence the results... and then align them back??

How do they get this done so fast. Man. Glad I'm not having to do this shit. That's a very fast turn around.
maybe you can do it privately. I'm flying home friday. I e-mailed a private testing company last friday about getting a test. I gave them my flight date and time, and asked for the results in English. They got back straight away with an appointment for this wednesday, about 50 hours before the flight. 53 lids for the test and results will be provided within 12 hours. That's eastern european efficiency for you!

Aye that's what I meant, basically I'm saying why the fuck aren't they using the quick tests that work well enough?
antigen tests, or something like that. I know Spain accepted them during the summer if you were flying in from a 'yellow' country. 'Red' countries needed PCR, and 'green' didn't need a thing.

Another day of fucking hysterics on Irish twitter who are nothing if not spectacularly good at missing the fucking point.

Some claiming now that PCR tests are only 60% accurate? That being the case, those numbers they report every day are potentially 40% higher than they are? If so, how is that not shocking the country to its absolute foundations, and why are we not all in total lockdown with nothing but an hour a day outside for exercise?

Incidentally, my flight looks one-third full this week. I'd expect at least 50% of those booked on board won't show (this is my 7th attempt at getting home since december 27th, so I haven't shown for 6 flights).

I suppose I'd better pass the fucking PCR test on Wednesday or I won't be going anywhere.

it's kinda funny now that there does seem to be some little bit of momentum to introduce mandatory tests and quarantine. because the time to do it was back in august when the numbers were at their lowest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back