Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (2 Viewers)

I can understand people being a bit wary of the first iteration of the vaccine in fairness. Didn't one of the swine flu vaccines trigger narcolepsy in a few cases, and get withdrawn?
Yes, they did. There is always going to be a caveat to using any medicine when it “launches” as rare side effects that just can’t be picked up in clinical trials are going to be suddenly noticed when the number of people receiving the treatment goes up.

There is going to be some serious freaking out about this vaccine when it comes online because clinical trials will be performed on the range of thousands but we are looking to effectively treat billions of people. Even if there is only 1 in a million chance of something serious happening, that’s still going to be a lot of serious side effects worldwide. I suppose the goal will be to hopefully figure out who’s susceptible, why, and treat accordingly (ie with another drug to counteract the effects if possible) or not depending on what it is.

The US is sticking to its plan in not believing the virus exists, and hurting its feelings, thus making the problem go away.

I think it's important to let both sides have a fair chance. So we're sticking with hoping, and positive thoughts.

Yes, they did. There is always going to be a caveat to using any medicine when it “launches” as rare side effects that just can’t be picked up in clinical trials are going to be suddenly noticed when the number of people receiving the treatment goes up.

There is going to be some serious freaking out about this vaccine when it comes online because clinical trials will be performed on the range of thousands but we are looking to effectively treat billions of people. Even if there is only 1 in a million chance of something serious happening, that’s still going to be a lot of serious side effects worldwide. I suppose the goal will be to hopefully figure out who’s susceptible, why, and treat accordingly (ie with another drug to counteract the effects if possible) or not depending on what it is.

I'd be sceptical if Trump were announce to a vaccine approved just before the 3rd November

I'd be sceptical if Trump were announce to a vaccine approved just before the 3rd November
What I will say is that there is a bigger push (financial and scientific) to develop a vaccine for COVID-19 than any other disease I can think of so it is getting the sort of research thrown at it that you’d expect to see over 5 or more years for another big vaccine (rough estimate, I’m not a vaccinologist). So I’d hope it would be developed sooner than we would typically expect but very hard to gauge what’s actually going to happen in any clinical trial.

What I will say is that there is a bigger push (financial and scientific) to develop a vaccine for COVID-19 than any other disease I can think of so it is getting the sort of research thrown at it that you’d expect to see over 5 or more years for another big vaccine (rough estimate, I’m not a vaccinologist). So I’d hope it would be developed sooner than we would typically expect but very hard to gauge what’s actually going to happen in any clinical trial.

:usual disclaimer that I don't know what I'm talking about:

We're in phase 1 clinical trials for a few vaccines ATM.
Fauci is looking at the numbers and making a guess about something ~working in or around the new year. He's giving it the "cautiously optimistic" line. They can scale up volume reasonably fast if enough money is applied, meaning it would be ~3 months after that before it can be made fairly widely available.

Having said that, yesterday was the first time I was in a supermarket that had toilet paper on the shelves. So I'm not 100% sold on our logistical infrastructure at the moment.

But, yeah, there's still this issue of the durability of the immune response. I guess that's a cross that bridge when you come to it thing? I know they could potentially get something that's actually better at raising a nice immune response than the virus itself, which would get around this problem. And worst case scenario is it "only" buys you ~3 months immunity, which is better than nothing.

Another issue is that the US is populated by an awful lot of stone cold morons, and a lot of them will simply refuse to be vaccinated. On the one hand Darwin's a bitch. On the other they provide a reservoir that's going to make things hard for everyone else.

This is just going to fuel suspicion of vaccines, isn’t it? 'They've jumped the gun': scientists worry about Russia's Covid-19 vaccine

I don't know. In my mind Russia is a massive criminal state. Gangsters run the show, turtles all the way down style. The Russians I've worked with have been solid as fuck mathematicians and coders, but Russia the state? Lies. I see the scenario where a group is told: have a vaccine in 4 months, otherwise :throat slicing noises:. And lo and behold, 4 months later...

Maybe it's naivete, but the work that gets done where I'm at is legit, Fauci is legit. There's every chance that other groups will come up with something. I'd suspect China will come up with something, they have plenty of good people and they have a head start.

In Russia I think the people with power and money define truth in a way that doesn't happen here (yet). They might have something. They equally might have nothing. When we say we have something I'll believe it, because I know how we do our trials. The US is a joke in lots of ways, but one of those ways is not scientific research. We do not fuck around in that area. Scientific reality is still objective enough here, and I'd suspect that reality gets bent in Russia to conform with whatever Putin et al desires. I'd assumed that this was the general consensus.

Although fuck knows what those anti-vaxer crew believe. Everything is fueling suspicion for them, and the earth is flat.

Yeah no I get that, but whether their vaccine is legit or not, Russia rushing to get it out and articles like that are gonna muddy the waters and fuel conspiracy theories about vaccines being unsafe. Stupid people gonna stupid I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lockdown has been described as a blunt instrument by the acting CMO. Looks like we're all going to be getting a belt of it thanks to the actions of a minority and thanks to many other things too. Exploitation of workers, the state of Direct Provision and the plan is to put kids into another confined breeding ground for the virus. This is going like the Spanish flu. Massive second wave over the winter when drinking pints outdoors with your substantial meal isn't an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back