Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (6 Viewers)

No fun ann post suggests that thinking of next year in terms of festivals is wildly out of line with the likely reality. I mean like considering the equity that is coming off all our possesions buying tickets to a gig isn't really financial crime or anything but ann 'positive outlook' post over here has diverted over 50% of his weekly to clearing as many interest heavy based debts as possible before the budget.

I don't think we have a comparable pre-cursor to this. Find new ways to have fun basically.

I should clarify, I know no high up festival people, just the dudes you meet when you go to a festival. Obviously all those people are seasonal workers, who have been hit hard.

But the corporate side is afaik busy looking for other ways they can employ their skills elsewhere in the long run. So there's been people doing logistics for the NHS over the last few months for example.

Now they're are looking at stuff like applying wristbanding to a track and trace system. And other fairly random but imaginative ideas. The point is, actual festivals are gone for now. I'd love to be proven wrong a year from now.

People are hopeful for EP2021. Only hopeful.

hmmmm

we'll see what gobshites like Brendan O'Connor and Ian O'Doherty have to say about this, they're usually a decent barometer of the lowest common denominator in Ireland. So far they've been largely supportive of the lockdown. We could probably distract them with another Harper's letter.

Last edited:
Counterpoint: why not have street parties and then let tourists from one of the worst-affected and least socially responsible countries in the world come in without quarantine or tracing and roam around like plague rats, on the ah sure it'll be grand principle

So, pub opening pushed out til August 10. I don't disagree with this, but just thinking of the knock on effects. Many publicans saying they just won't be able to weather this break in trading and will go under, how many pub venues do we stand to lose?

Hard to say.
I think some of the middle sized pubs in cities are going to be in trouble.
Rural pubs are normally family owned with little/no mortgage, and bigger pubs have the capacity for social distancing.

About 7,000 pubs in total in the country. Back in 2005, there was 8,500

---
On music front, I got e-mail from ticketmaster that Michael franti & spearhead in vicar street for Feb 2021 has been cancelled due to this.

It was originally due to be in September

giphy.gif

Alcohol is not necessary for gigs to happen. Mayb promoters could find a way to use alternative venues.

but how though ?
someone out there must have tried to do this - how did it work out ?
was it a struggle to even find a suitable hall ?
i'd imagine this must very hard or else it would be happening.

most venues get a huge chunk of revenue though booze unfortunately.
apart from Jigsaw everywhere else i go to gigs is heavily alcohol orientated.
in certain places (Phibsborough) pubs don't even serve orange juice !

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back