Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (12 Viewers)

There's been lots of anecdotal talk about the country being run ragged by an influx of American tourists, seemed almost certainly unfounded and just hysterical fear. BUT when Michael Healy Rae is on the telly saying he sees them in Kerry and is worried....That man is afraid of nothing but Jackeens.

More seriously, have been surprised this hasn't been properly investigated byt MEDJA if there is any merit to it, and finally this morning heard a report from the airport, Pat Kenny sent off a reporter to the arrivals hall. Who spoke to American tourists just landed who think coronavirus is all a hoax.

We'res still doomed!

There's been lots of anecdotal talk about the country being run ragged by an influx of American tourists, seemed almost certainly unfounded and just hysterical fear. BUT when Michael Healy Rae is on the telly saying he sees them in Kerry and is worried....That man is afraid of nothing but Jackeens.

More seriously, have been surprised this hasn't been properly investigated byt MEDJA if there is any merit to it, and finally this morning heard a report from the airport, Pat Kenny sent off a reporter to the arrivals hall. Who spoke to American tourists just landed who think coronavirus is all a hoax.

We'res still doomed!

I thought they'd banned yanks from traveling to the EU?

Are these americans who've been floating around elsewhere in the EU pre ban and ended up in Ireland? Because Ireland should not be letting Americans in from the US, we're knee deep in it and we're about to get worse.

A friend of mine in Kerry was complaining about US tourists swarming the place. She says they told her they were flying into Belfast.

Edited to add - If they are flying into airports in the Republic of Ireland they are required to fill in a registration form, and to agree to self quarantine for 14 days. So flying into the North is to avoid this.

Last edited:
agree to self quarantine for 14 days. So flying into the North is to avoid this.

FFS. Flying to the north to avoid having to tell a lie? So... I mean, yizzer fucked like.

Agree to self quarantine? Jesus. The US is a massive reservoir of COVID-19.

If you're letting cunts in from here, you're... I dunno. OK. I was under the impression a ban was in place.

On the other hand it looks like this thing is just going to be in the population indefinitely. Immunity doesn't even appear to last much longer than something in the order of low single digit months.

source? i haven't heard much news about this. are people getting it again?

Hmm... do you want like... primary sources? There was a Nature Methods (?) paper a month back. I'll see if I can dig it up. Can I post it to you privately? I think it's marked. Let me get onto the VPN and look around. There might be more recent stuff too.

I'm talking about the immunity granted from infection. There's other avenues of immunity, eg from a vaccine, which can be longer lived. Also, the studies that I saw were all of dubious statistical power. Still, it's not looking ideal.

Hmm... do you want like... primary sources?
nothing specific really; i always assumed that the canary in the coalmine on this would be medical staff returned to the frontline who picked it up a second time (though this bugger seems to linger so it's going to be hard to tell if it's a relapse or a reinfection)

nothing specific really; i always assumed that the canary in the coalmine on this would be medical staff returned to the frontline who picked it up a second time (though this bugger seems to linger so it's going to be hard to tell if it's a relapse or a reinfection)

well... again, don't know. But you could imagine the scenario where a front line worker, with immunity, is continuously getting normal adaptive immune response stimulated.

The immunity is minimally going to be on the order of a month let's say. (That's lower than I thought was possible - I thought the lowest possible was closer to 3 months, and we'd have to be extremely unluckly to hit the theoretical worst case scenario.) But even at 1 month, if you can get an exposure in that window, you presumably will have another normal IGg response, leading to the month window getting pushed out again.

That scenario could be consistent with extremely short immunity, and front line people not repeatedly getting sick.

To be clear, I'm not working in immunology at the moment. Despite the place of work. (Which I am not allowed mention.) But I'm working at the level of genomes, not epidemiology. ie: I don't know shit.

Correct, once you recover from chickenpox the virus stays in the body through unknown mechanisms and can re-emerge later in life for unknown reasons, but if it does re-emerge it does so in the form of shingles, which are like a much more localised and less severe form of it probably because the body now has some immune cells capable of fighting it better.

Herpes lives in your nervous system but honestly I’d be surprised if a coronavirus acted like chickenpox or herpes. Not being able to develop long-lasting immunity to protect against reinfection seems more likely to me. I’m not an immunologist though.

this paper was cited quite a lot.

What's not being picked up on much is the absolutely shit statistical power of it, despite the fact they put it into the abstract:

> We studied 37 asymptomatic individuals

So. One site, and a small set.

This is the worrying paragraph:

> In this study, we observed that IgG levels and neutralizing antibodies in a high proportion of individuals who recovered from SARS-CoV-2 infection start to decrease within 2–3 months after infection. In another analysis of the dynamics of neutralizing antibody titers in eight convalescent patients with COVID-19, four patients showed decreased neutralizing antibodies approximately 6–7 weeks after illness onset30. One mathematical model also suggests a short duration of immunity after SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Some asymptomatic people have IgG marked decrease after 1.5 months. That doesn't mean they are actually going to get reinfected in 1.5 months. Not the month scenario that I was mentioning.

Can you tell that my housemate, UTM has gone on holiday taking a connecting flight for the craic while essentially taking no precautions whatsoever and then texting me, yesterday, mid trip with a 'oh I think we might have to isolate when I get back' which may be exactly what i've been telling him for about 6 weeks now. he has literally travelled the planet and he cannot grasp this, and thats before we start talking environment.

He's been back less than one day. I've gone into not meeting anyone mode as a precaution.

He just announced that he's going again in a few weeks. What a fucking dick.

I have played close to zero guitar since this started. Jams have been cancelled. I'm upstairs working all day while my wife is downstairs looking after the kids. I've a guitar sitting beside me if work gets quiet, but id be pretty fucked if i start shredding and she can hear me pissing about while two kids are shouting at her looking for snacks.

So, the real victim here is my pathetic guitar chops.

I've played more guitar than I have in years. But still not enough. Every time I pick it up I'm only reminded of how crap I am. I still enjoy it, it does a lot for my head, but I thought I'd have done so much more. And my 16 year old self would be ashamed of my inability to remember or play Megadeth songs.

I have a full time musician friend who kindly insists that I'm not a shitter musician than him, I'm just not as rehearsed as he is. So nice of him to say, but it doesn't make me feel better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back