Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (15 Viewers)

Why are people giving out about this app? Its sends numerical and location data to the CSO. I could be naive here but even if they have all your movements, what can they do - sell it to facebook, or use it as evidence against you in trial?

Why are people giving out about this app? Its sends numerical and location data to the CSO. I could be naive here but even if they have all your movements, what can they do - sell it to facebook, or use it as evidence against you in trial?
I actually haven't heard any complaints about security. They included the DPIA info in the github repo and, for me anyway, all fears are allayed.

I just don't get how the app works. Location is not accurate enough, and bluetooth will only work if everyone is forced to enable it (assuming it even works).

I want this thing to work more than anything so I'm not being an awkward prick for the sake of it,

do we though?

what gets my goat about the govt (mostly Varadkar and Harris) is that all the time we were locked down they were meant to be getting all that stuff sorted. Putting in efficient and quick contact tracing and testing. And that hasn't really happened at all, especially with people coming into the country from abroad.

The restart to travel that happened last week was well flagged in advance. Yet on the day you had that fucking sleezebag Harris whinging about, basically, how Ryanair are killing people by flying. Based on his shitty govt's own advice, travel was set to resume in July. On the back of that people went out and spent loads on family holidays, only to be told by Holohan that there should be no travel, in any circumstances. Cue uproar because people are losing out on both their holidays, and their money, that they spent in good faith. And those that go ahead with their travel are suddenly irresponsible and selfish. Fuck that shit. The govt need to own this and not be passing the buck to johnny punter who has made a lot of sacrifices up to this point.

If someone flies into the country with covid, the quicker the action, the better (obviously). But as it stands, there's barely any follow-up with those who are meant to be self-isolating. If you don't answer the phone when they call, there's no sanction. Its shit. And until it gets properly sorted, we're gonna be stuck in this rut where we see any increase in cases as having a potential to explode. Get proper tracing and testing, lock that shit down fast, and confidence will build.

this article is great. Very balanced, and cuts through the bullshit. Articulates what I was attempting to rant about above, way better

Telling people not to travel overseas on holiday is wrong-headed

I actually haven't heard any complaints about security. They included the DPIA info in the github repo and, for me anyway, all fears are allayed.

I just don't get how the app works. Location is not accurate enough, and bluetooth will only work if everyone is forced to enable it (assuming it even works).

I want this thing to work more than anything so I'm not being an awkward prick for the sake of it,

It's not really about location technically though, afaik.

A use case scenario would be I have Covid-19 but don't know it. I go to the shops and stand in a queue for 5 minutes. The phone polls against any other phone within 2m of me for a duration of time.

If I then get a diagnosis of Covid-19, I go back and tell the app. It then notifies any other users who it recorded as having been within my 2m radius, without knowing where neccessarily, but saying "A person you were in proximity to has tested positive for Covid-19" and then invites or recommends they get tested.
If they're positive, then the same cycle repeats itself.

So it's really just recording whether you came into contact or not with someone with it, not where it took place.

In terms of the blutooth working, they're definitely reliant on people having relatively recent phones. I don't know what Irish phone turnover is like, but I think it's high, it's definitely unusual to see anyone not with a full display big phone anymore, so I don't think it's that much of an issue.

It's a little clunky, certainly, but seems a good extra tool.

this article is great. Very balanced, and cuts through the bullshit. Articulates what I was attempting to rant about above, way better

Telling people not to travel overseas on holiday is wrong-headed

WELLLLLL (shut up ann post looks) just because we live in the rich part of the world and think jumping on a plane for a weekend is normal doesn't make it normal, or survivable. The whole missed point in that article is that if you've built a social construct that you jump on a 70,000kg lump of steel powered by dinosaurs just to get home erotic with the boys as a natural human right is wrong headed. At a certain point we have to admit that we live in Ireland. I know I'm a complete craicumn, but this is not behavoir that will move us away from this kind of shit. Sure everyone wants this fucking thing to be over so we can spend every weekend forever on holidays as revenge for an extended school term but that is hands down the dumbest thing we can do as a species.

Can you tell that my housemate, UTM has gone on holiday taking a connecting flight for the craic while essentially taking no precautions whatsoever and then texting me, yesterday, mid trip with a 'oh I think we might have to isolate when I get back' which may be exactly what i've been telling him for about 6 weeks now. he has literally travelled the planet and he cannot grasp this, and thats before we start talking environment.

Oh, those people that run their computer on an Anonymized VPN, with a secure browser and wired network only etc etc.... that haven't exposed any data online since Geocities caught them out in 1995.

Or the everyday ones like us that are having our data hoovered up night and day to be sold right back to us?

People that have data privacy issues with this app should head to the Carphone Warehouse and buy a Nokia 105 and return to buying newspapers and writing letters to them. I mean is you truly want data privacy, go offline with everything.

This was always going to happen with a Cork Taoiseach!!

Think I'm gonna catch NERD-20 off thumped here.

Simpsons_05_09_P1.jpg

Instead of reopening everything and jumping on planes for holidays and then inevitably closing everything down again in a couple of months time, is there anything to be said for having a proper lockdown until we've actually got rid of it and having proper quarantine procedures in place for inbound flights?
Yeah, didn't think so.

Been reading what data privacy experts have been saying about the app (that McGarr guy is very good) and it seems like they have done a decent job of addressing concerns that people have (and those concerns are totally legit). Releasing source code and the DPIA was really important and our Governments have a terrible record when it comes to transparency around this sort of stuff - so good that they did. Bigger problem though is that according to a bunch of computer scientists at TCD, Bluetooth is completely inadequate to achieve what it is supposed to be doing - so it may not work all that well (though I suppose inaccurate is better than nothing i.e. if you get flagged as being close to someone with Covid and go and get tested unnecessarily then that’s ok).

Hopefully it won’t lead lots of people to think that we now have an “app for that” Covid thing and relax about the wearing of masks, social distancing, minimising travel etc.

Not the first time it’s been reported that Bolsonaro has it!

what if it's a scam though, and he doesn't but just pretends it's a slight chesty cough so he can prove it's nothing to worry about?

though if he did die of it in a months time after pretending to have it, you'd be scarlet for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back