Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (7 Viewers)

i humoured the chap above, until he asked did i watch infowars and alex jones, and i said no, i've no time for him. that was about as much disagreement as i was willing to chance.

Any friends who had been spouting shite (favourite was covid-19 was planted in Wuhan by CIA special ops) I've been giving short thrift too. Noticeably, I'm not hearing any crap any more, but I reckon they just know better than to say it to me. But does that mean this sort of crap is disappearing into it's own echo chamber, or that angrily dismissing it means it just gets redirected to others who might believe it.

i.e. would it be better to just listen and gently disagree?
Get new, better informed friends?

I'm very disappointed with how fragile people's minds have proven to be. Sound people turning into daft eejits after only a few weeks.

I think there might be an opening in the future for former prisoners to counsel people about maintaining mental health while dealing with a restricted lifestyle. Or something.

What's the deal with masks on buses? I was under the impression it was compulsory now,but maybe its just advised? I passed 3 buses today and I'd say there was less than a quarter of the passengers wearing them.

Anyone making plans for a second wave?
Limerick was pretty busy yesterday, including a group of about 10 English guys that were heading into a pub when I saw them (maybe a stag party?) and with the videos from Dame lane, we could be screwed.

What's the deal with masks on buses? I was under the impression it was compulsory now,but maybe its just advised? I passed 3 buses today and I'd say there was less than a quarter of the passengers wearing them.

It's Schrodinger's compulsory, it's compulsory but public transport are also not meant to refuse anybody not wearing one. It's almost as if these rules were made up by fucking imbeciles.

I'm very disappointed with how fragile people's minds have proven to be. Sound people turning into daft eejits after only a few weeks.

I'm pretty saddened by it - I kinda think this corona deal is the warning shot for what is to come in the next few years, and the realisation that I'm getting older sorrounded by people who can't cope without b&q/pennies for 5 weeks without turning into complete melts is kinda disconcerting.

I kinda think about how it reflects on the species (the humans). Like coronamania* becomes visible as people defect from the 'the norms' and start embracing mad shit. HOWEVER most of the working western world is one big mad hyperconsumptive fantasy anyways which requires some kind of madness to fully induldge in, taking all the currently available info into consideration.

*i just made this up

Maybe society needs a breakdown, and Covid is it.
The same way some people live in suppressed misery for decades until they have a breakdown. Then they can begin to address their problems and get better.
I’m still holding on to the hope that this could be a societal do-over or something.

does anyone else notice that generally, it seems to be the generation in their 70s who'll believe any old shit?
i don't mean all of them, but most of the batshit nonsense spouting i see tends to be from my parents generation.

i had an argument/not argument with my father in law a couple of years ago. he'd met some chap for the first time, a friend of a friend, who told him the sea levels are rising not because of climate change but because of man made chemicals in it literally causing the water to expand. i tried to disabuse him of this notion, but he was taking the word of someone who he barely knew, as gospel. maybe he was more willing to listen to this guy because he viewed him as a peer, unlike me.
that's just one example of the nonsense i hear from him or my parents friends.

I've seen plenty of people in their 20s, 30s, and 40s sharing complete shit on facepuke.
The thing that seems to mostly connect them is that they're mostly stupid cunts.

Haha okay, so it's generally the people who will speak before they think, like their brain doesn't connect with their mouth at all or something. They'll be very vocal about whatever batshit idea they have in their heads.

Definitely the parent's generation are rubbisher at FB and the like. My own parent's are pretty level-headed, but some the uncles and aunts seem to think the Green party is out to make 5G steal our bogs so the chinese can resurrect De Valera and stuff.
I wouldn't single out that demographic though. I know plenty of people my age or younger who are convinced the jews are Hillary Clintons love child and only Qanon can stop the flat earth from Elon Mushk.

I've seen people say shit that runs completely contrary to whatever rubbish they'd posted the day before. I've asked about it and they saw no problem with it. "I'm just well read and it's a complicated issue". I think generally there's a great general lack of critical thinking.

In my experience, I think older folks are just more shite at doing teh internets, but it's not just them.

What i've found most difficult if that not having the usual rituals and social craic i'm used to taken away means i'm crap at processing emotions, or its taking a lot longer to move along. I've heard the same from a few others. I've not had any bereavements and I'd imagine anyone has had has probably put a lot of that process on hold. Life feels a bit more like a enclosed loop so i've found the gymnastics of growing are more elusive. Started going to the beach for a hike about twice a week now to replace the pub/booze/smoking* and the white noise seems to be a good intervention in the loop. I'm sure everyone has their own version of this. Probably worth talking about anyways.

*oh yeah i didn't tell anyone but I quit smoking.

I was loving the lockdown until about 2 weeks ago, then went on this sudden downslide - grouchy with the kids and in-laws, fighting with Mrs. egg_ over nothing, feeling hopeless and pissed off all the time. A lot better now after going down to stay with my folks for a few days

Don't be looking down on the Penneys queuers. We're social animals, we need social contact

i enjoyed lockdown, I miss it a bit actually.

getting on a mini bus loads of times and being the only passenger was fun.

seeing more people out walking and cycling than on the street was cool.

this is tempered though by the fact i knew very few people who got ill and no one who died

I've noticed a crazy drop off of people out for a walk/run/cycle since things have been opening up again. They cant all have gone back to work,can they?

We had some tension in the house at the beginning, but it seemed to dissipate after the first month or so. In fairness, the first two months i was stressed as fuck with work.

The daily chores are a bit unrelenting. It would be nice if someone brought us dinner or looked after the kids for a few hours. But really im perfectly happy not to leave the bubble.

We still haven’t been able to get my Dad out of Thailand yet. The army showed up at his village two weeks ago for an inspection while I was FaceTiming him. He wanted to go out and film them so I could see. Took a while to explain why videoing men with guns wasn’t a good idea.

Defo has some tense moments especially during the first couple months, but I’ve taken to lockdown like a duck to water, but also I’ve things i want to be getting on with so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back