Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (9 Viewers)

Varadkar saying today he thinks the covid was here before xmas.

I'm convinced I had it in December. Me and the missus came back from the canaries in early December and both of us were in a heap. Deffo not flu. We were floored for the best part of a month, with all the symptoms they describe as being part of the 'rona. It was always only in the back of mind but cos of the timing I figured it must have been something else.

The good thing is, since I recovered I've never felt as strong or as healthy. Not a sniffle since.

Maybe i need to get my man-goo tested? dunno

He said that it was possible and mentioned travel between China and France and Ireland. France stated recently that a case of pneumonia in December had been rexamined and was determined to be Covid19 so it was maybe around earlier. A bit of a rumble between him and Mary Lou aswell I suppose he knows she's gonna lay into him anyway.

Does the rona make you fire blanks?
dunno, maybe

would love to know. I doubt they'd entertain me given I didn't test positive for it. I did go to the GP at the time but the symptoms were mostly gone by then (apart from a cough that lingered for a month). Its a wonder he never got back to me about it.

i guess I'll never know. could be immune now n all

i read somewhere there was another strain of flu, and bronchitis, doing the rounds over the last several months. needless to say, i can't remember where i read that. could even have been on thumped.

i read somewhere there was another strain of flu, and bronchitis, doing the rounds over the last several months. needless to say, i can't remember where i read that. could even have been on thumped.

My partner had bad bronchitis and was told by her GP there was a bad dose around Feb/March.

I get paid hourly a couple of euro higher than minimum wage, and on the €350 a week payment I get as much or more in a month than I normally would for about 75% of the year.

Fuck
The kid has been studying every day since the lock down, except for one weekend. Going with her mocks, she doesn’t have a hope of getting the course she wants, which she stood a good chance of getting in the actual exams in July.
I know there’s no good solution here but it’s a bit gutting.

That's wild. They're thinking of predicting grades, and going with that? School profiling sounds a bit... suspect.

What did they in science was set the entry standards fairly low and let loads of people in, and make first year hard. The drop in numbers from first to second year was big. If you can get past that first year, you were in good shape to finish out the degree.

Just thinking ... I would have been fuuuucked with this school profile thing.

The only subject I did really well in I didn't take in school, I just ticked the box in the exams I was going to take, read the text book, and sat the exam. The teachers started giving out saying I hadn't done any of the lab work so I hadn't completed the course properly. Which was true, I hadn't. But it was done, I had the points.

I would have been completely screwed without those points. I would have had to repeat, and I most likely would not have repeated because I'd also decided I wasn't going to go to college since I was going to race bikes and be a mechanic, obviously. It took about a year to get to get a handle on how shit at cycling I was, so plan b had to be enacted. Actually college was plan C, plan b was to become a silver smith.

But yeah, leaving it in the hands of teachers is tough. Let the kids have a go at college if that's what they want, worst case scenario they just get absolutely shitfaced out drinking by the canal, lose their virginity, and crash out at the end of first year.

College is completely different to school, best way to see if you can hack it in college is to go to college.

Fuck
The kid has been studying every day since the lock down, except for one weekend. Going with her mocks, she doesn’t have a hope of getting the course she wants, which she stood a good chance of getting in the actual exams in July.
I know there’s no good solution here but it’s a bit gutting.
Might be worth having a word with a teacher about all the study and the particular course?

*edit : a horrific amount of my family are teachers, they do actually see past the marks because they have to meet thier ex students for life.

I don't have a solution, but jaysus I feel for the kids not knowing what the hell is happening with the LC.

Postponing it until July? That'll only serve to lower grades and increase the suicide rate imo.
Teachers deciding grades? Yeah, that wouldn't have worked for me. Fuuuuuck no, that's no good.
Having a choice between the two? Maybe, but you'll just end up with a bunch of thicko's who are good at GAA or rugby getting to college while the average quiet kid has trauma and stress and actually has to work much harder for the same result.

I did my first leaving during the teachers strike, it was a godsend for me, learned more than I had in ages sat at home. But that was me, then, with lots of parental help. If 17yo me was in a LC students shoes today I'd probably be alright, but I know most wouldn't. My heart does go out to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back