Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (3 Viewers)

Oh I know. I just kinda dont want to get it because I've enough bloody chronic pain things already and the I kinda think the rona/trigeminal neuralgia combo would be a bit of a craicumn.

3 of the 7 Americans on my team, plus the Brit on my team, have already been vaccinated. Pricks. All at least 15 years younger than me. Weirdly, the Brit (in his 20s, I'd say) got prioritised because he's fat
Did they get miniature flags too?

I've been worried that people are seeing the vaccine as a cure, not as an aid. Class whatsapp group the other night, a parent was saying her neighbour was out in the road after his second jab, gleefully "letting everyone breath all over me". Where I was horrified, everyone else was delighted for him...

HSE needs to really improve the messaging to those getting it, the vaccine will stop you getting sick, but it will not make you immune, it will not stop you catching it, and it will not stop you spreading it.

I think it does do those things, according to Luke O'Neill anyway (if I understand him correctly). You might have some virus on your hands or up your nose but it pretty much does stop you from getting infected and spreading it. That guy sounds like he will manage it though.

HSE needs to really improve the messaging to those getting it, the vaccine will stop you getting sick, but it will not make you immune, it will not stop you catching it, and it will not stop you spreading it.
Erm ... I don't think you have the full story there @dudley AIUI "immune" just means when you are exposed to an infectious agent your immune system destroys it quickly, with minimal damage to you. So the vaccine will make 90-something% of people immune, by the normal meaning of immune.

And all of this "no evidence for reduction of spread" is just how scientists talk. There is v little evidence atm, because this shit is hard to measure, especially during a lockdown, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't reduce spread. Most vaccines do - they don't eliminate it, but they drastically reduce it, because when your immune system destroys the infectious agent quickly it means you end up producing far less of the infectious agent yourself, and therefore less likely to infect others. And obviously you can still spread it on your hands etc no matter how immune you are

That's my understanding anyway. Maybe someone who knows more about viruses/medicine can verify/correct what I'm saying?

I used immune incorrectly, I had meant it doesn't mean you can't carry the disease. And that's still the scientific position. There is emerging evidence that it may prevent transmission, but it has absolutely hasn't been proven yet, and as it's still an emerging virus, the default position has to be that vaccinated people absolutely can transmit it, and everyone needs to act accordingly.

I think I raised this a few weeks ago and Egg called me on it.

Egg and Dudley are both right afaik. A working vaccination means you're not producing much virus, but that doesn't mean you can go around spitting into peoples mouths. It is certainly confusing, but in that case, err on the side of caution.

I think I raised this a few weeks ago and Egg called me on it.

Egg and Dudley are both right afaik. A working vaccination means you're not producing much virus, but that doesn't mean you can go around spitting into peoples mouths. It is certainly confusing, but in that case, err on the side of caution.

When can I go back to licking faces so?

Had my first AZ dose today, it was the first time I've really felt that this whole pandemic saga is not going to last forever. I also got to see loads of people I work with in real life and it proper lifted my spirits.

Anyway, I was chatting to the nurse administering the vaccine, she said that people think once they are vaxxed then they can lick the handrails of the luas on the way home. I have to say I was really surprised that people think the vaccine is some sort of magic force field, it just means if you're exposed to the virus your body is better prepared to deal with it, but because everyone's immune systems don't work exactly alike, how your body reacts to exposure is going to be different in terms of being symptomatic or asymptomatic, and the duration and intensity of symptoms.

I dunno like, I think if I can grasp the basics of how a vaccine works then anyone can, and people like that guy who let people breathe all over him should be fucking morto at how much of a thick they are for not listening or reading the information being given to them at the vaccination centres.

Bit harsh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back