Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (10 Viewers)

thats what I thought you might have meant alright.

But I strongly disagree.

If the argument is about being virtuous or not, then fair enough, I'm all for being nice to people but I can understand why others wouldn't be.

Given the nature of the virus, I think vaccinating vulnerable people everywhere trumps vaccinating 23 year olds in the southwest of England.

The brits can vaccinate themselves for covid, but vaccinating themselves against being cunts is something they might never achieve (*)

I haven't dug too deeply into social media to find out but I'm kind of curious how the nazi 'Britain-first' cohort are liking the 'Britain-first' vaccination strategy, given most of them are probably anti-vac.

* America too.
I'm not sure what bit we disagree on there since we don't seem to disagree (unless you're actually a rabid free-markets person) but it's clear that no matter what happens we will be waiting for the UK and the USA to vaccinate their entire populations just as the global south will be waiting on us to vaccinate ours and we have just have to cross our fingers and hope that a new variant that is immune to the various vaccines doesn't emerge in the mean time.

Yeah I don't even disagree tbh. I'm just going a big mad with it all.
Oh me too 100%. I noticed last weekend that I'd jumped from sat night being 5 cans to 10 and I'm probably never gonna get the shift again.

I was talking to a (kinda more sensitive) friend about all this a week or two ago. What dawned on me is that A: obvs a its a virus and it doesn't care much for our silly human emotions or plans B: my friend had no frame of reference for this. Like they are a great empath and the more i talked to them the more I realised that they were used to a world where the right balance of talking, listening and responding solves problems so being confronted by something completely devoid of conscience is a wayy different trip for them than it would be for me (basically coming from a chronic pain perspective you get really used to living with something that really doesn't care about your plans).
Anywhoo they were talking about all their wild plans for summer and I eventually was like no-fun ann post asking them what their plan is if summer is level 5 and I felt like I'd shot a puppy but at the same time I can't really step out of being a realist.
Anywhoo that and a few other things reminded me of how vastly different everyone's rona experience is. I've a few friends who are complete natural social extroverts and man are they really not doing well now. Then I spotted one out having outdoors cans with a whole other gang at the weekend (from the other side of the country) after spending a fortnight telling me how compliant they were which reminded me of the threads about russia and 'news' that were here over the past few months.

I'm not sure what bit we disagree on there since we don't seem to disagree (unless you're actually a rabid free-markets person) but it's clear that no matter what happens we will be waiting for the UK and the USA to vaccinate their entire populations just as the global south will be waiting on us to vaccinate ours and we have just have to cross our fingers and hope that a new variant that is immune to the various vaccines doesn't emerge in the mean time.
Forgive me if I'm putting words in your month. I thought you were favouring a 'lets do our own first, then worry about the rest', approach. Whereas I would favour a 'lets do the vulnerable everywhere, before we worry about our own less at-risk'.

I'm sure we agree on everything else.

Forgive me if I'm putting words in your month. I thought you were favouring a 'lets do our own first, then worry about the rest', approach. Whereas I would favour a 'lets do the vulnerable everywhere, before we worry about our own less at-risk'.

I'm sure we agree on everything else.
My issues probably stem from the EU going with a markets-first approach as opposed to just making the fucking vaccine. All the posted articles above show the frustrations in various countries as they had to put in bids and wait for responses so they just side-tracked the whole thing and bought them directly themselves. It's ludicrous carry-on and there's nothing noble whatsoever about it. Make the vaccine, give it to people, fuck insisting that companies must make a profit.

My issues probably stem from the EU going with a markets-first approach as opposed to just making the fucking vaccine. All the posted articles above show the frustrations in various countries as they had to put in bids and wait for responses so they just side-tracked the whole thing and bought them directly themselves. It's ludicrous carry-on and there's nothing noble whatsoever about it. Make the vaccine, give it to people, fuck insisting that companies must make a profit.
ok, explain it to me like I'm an idiot (cos I'm still missing something).

The brits put a clause in their deal with Astrazeneca that everything produced in Britain, stays in Britain. Same as what the US did with Pfizer and J+J

The EU didn't do this with their dealings with any company, meaning an obligation (of sorts) to supply the wider world.

Is there an option 3? The way I've seen it framed is we either did what the Brits/US did, or what the EU did. I wasn't aware of a third option.

2 reasons I can think of
1: mutations
2: length of duration of vaccination effectiveness (6-8 months maybe?)
Sorry, I was responding to @Lili Marlene 's thing about it taking 2 years to vaccinate everyone if we continue at the current rate. I don't see any reason to assume that the current vaccinate rate is fixed

@Lili Marlene you seem to be angry about the US/UK keeping vaccines for themselves, and angry that the EU didn't do the same

ok, explain it to me like I'm an idiot (cos I'm still missing something).

The brits put a clause in their deal with Astrazeneca that everything produced in Britain, stays in Britain. Same as what the US did with Pfizer and J+J

The EU didn't do this with their dealings with any company, meaning an obligation (of sorts) to supply the wider world.

Is there an option 3? The way I've seen it framed is we either did what the Brits/US did, or what the EU did. I wasn't aware of a third option.
My issues are probably more fundamental than that. Why are we making deals with this or any other company? This is a worldwide public health crisis, fuck the market. Look at the stupid shit they've been involved in, fighting about royalties:

This could be pumped out in loads of factories if they weren't so concerned about making a profit. This isn't even questioned by the EU.

Sorry, I was responding to @Lili Marlene 's thing about it taking 2 years to vaccinate everyone if we continue at the current rate. I don't see any reason to assume that the current vaccinate rate is fixed
When they ramp it up I will believe them.

@Lili Marlene you seem to be angry about the US/UK keeping vaccines for themselves, and angry that the EU didn't do the same
I am frustrated, I am not angry. I am resigned that the UK and the US will do whatever sounds like putting themselves first no matter how shortsighted it is and I am frustrated that the EU talks about helping the world but it's always within the equally shortsighted parameters of keeping the markets going.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back