Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (17 Viewers)

The police routinely baton innocent bystanders, journalists etc when let off the leash. Why should this instance be any different? Saying " I wouldn't be surprised if an innocent bystander got a whack" is hardly controversial.

What he said was "Also, he needs to justify an action which had innocent passers by getting batoned" as something that actually happened, The "I wouldn't be surprised" only came when I asked what his assertion is based on. That's the point.

You’re still not getting it. You are making assumptions based on your own inherent bias, devoid of evidence. We all need to cut that shit out or we’re no better than those people protesting.
I'm assuming that the guards like to baton people that aren't doing anything wrong? Yes, I am. Because they do, have done it hundreds of times in the past, and like to do it any time there's any protest that 'kicks off' in any way.
You might have a point if you were referring to something that is in someway rare or undocumented. Like if I said "The guards murdered somebody at that" then you might have a point. They only murder people the odd time after all, and they tend not to do that in public.
But na, this is the guards batoning people that aren't even involved in whatever happens to be going on nearby. They've done it a million times, they've been caught doing it a million times, they've got away with it a million times, so they'll keep doing it.

Is it fair to assume that when you see the guards start a baton charge on Grafton Street on a Saturday afternoon, that somebody that just happened to be passing through there got whacked by a baton? Yep, it's a fair assumption.

Ah sure if it only happens once every 4 years or so then that's grand.

I once had a guard try to grab my camera off me at a protest because I was taking pictures of him threatening people and poking them with his baton. Fortunately I had the strap of the camera around my wrist, so I was able to hold on to it, but he was only stopped from stealing my camera by 3 or 4 other people getting between us so he had to let go. He tried to wrench it to wreck it in some way just before he let go too, but again he failed because of the strap.

Does anyone think that the Gardaí don't have to be kept on a tight leash?

They're already using this as a reason to call for more funding (as well they should btw, it's in their interests.)

This is genuinely a slippery slope with US style punisher tattoo policing as the end point. We're far away from it right now but lets keep it that way. The Gardaí are not an apolitical group and I despair a bit in here when I see everyone calling for harsher sentences and more skull cracking because they don't like the anti-Covid groups.

well there's a balance, isn't there. We have one of the last (notionally) unarmed police forces in the world. That (kind of) works because we're still small enough that everyone knows a cop, or knows a family who has a cop, and there's a kind of respect because we still see them (mostly) as people, and not as a uniform (as per the US).

We're edging away from relationship with the cops now. People are getting angrier, about stupid things, and the nature of the cops will inevitably change. It'll be for the worst, for sure, but this current 'passive' policing system won't be sustainable much longer.

A lot of peoples' comments to saturday on twitter were along the lines of, 'if that was in a different country, they'd have gotten far worse'.

But the general point is solid. We can overlook it this time, because of the scum involved. But if those policing 'tactics' become the norm, which I'd hope we're still a long way away from, then that is not good at all.

I'm still very curious as to why the Armed Response Unit is being called out for Shebeens

Is it possible to get figures about how funding and membership of the Armed Response Unit has changed over the past decade?

I despair a bit in here when I see everyone calling for harsher sentences and more skull cracking because they don't like the anti-Covid groups.
I've gone back through the comments and looked at how many calls for harsher sentences and more skull cracking there have been. I can see exactly one for the former and none for the latter. Don't despair Lili

I've gone back through the comments and looked at how many calls for harsher sentences and more skull cracking there have been. I can see exactly one for the former and none for the latter. Don't despair Lili
Condoning more skull cracking is implied by you and explicitly approved by prefuse.

Wanting harsher sentencing is implied by Ernesto and called for by rettucs.

Now listen I admit I am drawing conclusions from context that don't 100% represent everyone's opinion and beliefs in all it's variations, and I don't actually think anyone on here is some kind of hard-right fascist, but I am looking at the reactions here and thinking if the right on people of thumped are happy for the guards to go wild (which in my opinion is what is happening) then what hope for the journal commentator rest of the country?

Condoning more skull cracking is implied by you and explicitly approved by prefuse.

Wanting harsher sentencing is implied by Ernesto and called for by rettucs.

Now listen I admit I am drawing conclusions from context that don't 100% represent everyone's opinion and beliefs in all it's variations, and I don't actually think anyone on here is some kind of hard-right fascist, but I am looking at the reactions here and thinking if the right on people of thumped are happy for the guards to go wild (which in my opinion is what is happening) then what hope for the journal commentator rest of the country?
I think it's all about context here. No one here is honestly saying that they want to live in a totalitarian police state. I think what most people are saying is that what happened on Saturday was exceptional and they can't really blame the guards for their reaction to what happened. They were essentially being shot at and I think it's kind of fair enough to say that, put in the same circumstances, guard or not, most people wouldn't react to well to it.
Also, I think there's a lot of anger spilling out here at the groups that organised and took part in what happened. We've all spent nearly a year in lockdown, it's been really fucking shit, most of us want it to end. We want to see our friends and families again. We don't it prolonged any further because of Justin Barrett, your racist uncle on fb and a bunch of dopes that believe that lizard people have taken over RTE.

I think it's all about context here. No one here is honestly saying that they want to live in a totalitarian police state. I think what most people are saying is that what happened on Saturday was exceptional and they can't really blame the guards for their reaction to what happened. They were essentially being shot at and I think it's kind of fair enough to say that, put in the same circumstances, guard or not, most people wouldn't react to well to it.
Sure, that's more or less exactly what I said in my initial post.

Also, I think there's a lot of anger spilling out here at the groups that organised and took part in what happened. We've all spent nearly a year in lockdown, it's been really fucking shit, most of us want it to end. We want to see our friends and families again. We don't it prolonged any further because of Justin Barrett, your racist uncle on fb and a bunch of dopes that believe that lizard people have taken over RTE.
I agree but also my racist uncle on FB and his dope mates have all been stuck at home going stir crazy as well. They're not doing well. I also gave an example of how a community dealt with this issue without needing a baton charge cheered on by the woke nephews.

Yes, but then you strayed into looking for the worst possible interpretation of what your thumped buddies were saying. SHAME ON YOU!
This all comes down to me being ashamed of myself that my first reaction to seeing the video is "yeah take that yiz fuckin pricks, get em guards"

Well anyway

Person on my direct team in work tested positive for COVID today. She's still in work for now.

few people i know have the vaccine now. one works for st. michael's house, so as a lot of their clients have underlying health issues, she obviously was considered high risk (more in terms of passing it on than contracting it herself, i guess).

few people i know have the vaccine now. one works for st. michael's house, so as a lot of their clients have underlying health issues, she obviously was considered high risk (more in terms of passing it on than contracting it herself, i guess).
Yep I know two St Michael’s House people that have had both their doses. A neighbour works in a hospital (not a medical job) has had his two as well.

my mother is due to get her first next week, which is a relief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back