Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (5 Viewers)

i downloaded When the Shit Hits the Fan from Audio Galaxy file sharing site in 2001.
when i listened to it i thought it was some other band 'cause it didn't sound
like the CIRCLE JERKS i knew.

i've since watched Repo Man at least a dozen times but i keep having to remind
myself it's Keith Morris and co in the scene at the club.

one of my favourite films with lots of cool tunes.

Back on topic. The cases go up, then they go down, but the number of cases seems not to correlate to number of deaths that much. TL;DR after months of imbibing stats I still have no clue what any of it means.

Back on topic. The cases go up, then they go down, but the number of cases seems not to correlate to number of deaths that much. TL;DR after months of imbibing stats I still have no clue what any of it means.
Have to bear in mind that deaths come about from a complex mix of factors - we saw lots of cases in vulnerable people at the start (especially those in care homes) whereas the median age is dropping now (and age is the strongest predictor of recovery). So deaths tracked cases for a good while but we’re seeing the virus move through different parts of the population now.

We’ve also had months of hospitals working under these conditions and now are able to run more smoothly (it still sounds horrendous for healthcare workers though), and presumably more crucial equipment has been acquired (?). I think we can expect more deaths over the next month or two as this wave of cases resolve.

a lot of the early 'leads' on susceptibility seem to have dropped completely off the radar now, there's very little talk of 'if you had (insert lifestyle choice or exposure to X here) you've much better chances' now.

there was smoking, BCG vaccine, vitamin d/exposure to sunlight, etc.

a lot of the early 'leads' on susceptibility seem to have dropped completely off the radar now, there's very little talk of 'if you had (insert lifestyle choice or exposure to X here) you've much better chances' now.

there was smoking, BCG vaccine, vitamin d/exposure to sunlight, etc.
This is the usual crack with science, someone finds something that pops out in their data, makes big waves with it, then it fails to replicate in other larger studies. Age is consistently and strongly a predictor of outcome though. Previous or existing illness (though not asthma) have an effect, immunosuppression, and probably a multitude of genetic factors are what are showing an effect on outcome.

Do we have any idea just what percentage of people who don't die but are being left with serious, long term effects? Or medium term I suppose being that it's only been a few months.

i know someone who got it in late march/early april and is still dealing with some after effects. otherwise healthy woman in her early 40s, coeliac, whether that is relevant.

One friend who had an underlying condition had it, recovered, then collapsed and died six weeks later.

Another who would be an overweight smoker has been totally fine.

It's funny, but as the disease has progressed science has gotten a lot better at treating it, and the curve was so successfully squashed that I think most younger and less vulnerable people are like "this really was a load of bollicks, c'mere with your bits and let's get our Coyote Ugly on". So the brilliant work we did may ultimately be the undoing of us.

The problem now is that it's going to be impossible to keep the curve meaningfully squashed, people will not buy into further imposing of restrictions, and very quickly, I think in weeks after the schools reopen, the health service will be in massive crisis and unable to cope with the numbers. How we pull out of that nosedive with the current public mood, I have no idea....

How we pull out of that nosedive with the current public mood, I have no idea....
signals of these new restrictions (which fall short of a lockdown) strike me as being as much political as health based. there's a general perception out there that the incoming govt have taken their eye off the ball, and this might be seen as much as a flexing of muscles as it is of an attempt to do something meaningful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back