Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (12 Viewers)

I *think* the last gig I was at before lockdown was the Glimmermen's instore in Tower. I say I was at, I was stood outside with the kids while the wife was inside.

I'd take that.

All gigs should be all-ages, we tried to make them No Age Restrictions as much as possible, the alcohol industry got a huge hold on it.

Bandstand in stephens green, Civic Buildings has a space, loads of options but the inclement weather won't help

generally i haven't got a problem with drinking - there's something about a drunk
friend spitting alcohol in my face that even as a non drinker i find endearing !

but it's sad that when we exclude youngsters from music - it shouldn't be
essential have alcohol at gig for people to have fun ?
i don't know how to sort this out either.

i left skool 27 years ago but apart from seeing the teachers as being more human
my opinions have changed little over the years.
i went to five different schools and the last one was by far the least disciplinary.
only four of the teachers i had there i still dislike.
however over the 13 years i was at school i regularly experienced many things
from teachers that as an adult myself I would never think of doing to anyone.

the treatment of children when i was a child in Ireland was institutionally bad
but many teachers did the best they could under the circumstances.
some though should never have been allowed work as teachers.
kids being held to higher standards than adults was common.

i never did the leaving cert and it has never stopped me from doing anything
i wanted to do in my life - something i'm proud of.

this could be the tenth time i've said this on thumped but as a kid it was dictated
that things that were not applicable to me were important and I still don't agree.

out of interest how many people fail the leaving certificate ?
by that i mean they don't pass the exam, period.

can never find anything online about failure rate.

i left skool 27 years ago but apart from seeing the teachers as being more human
my opinions have changed little over the years.

kids being held to higher standards than adults was common.

TBH things like this are to my mind justifying my (not a theory, an observance from a life next to teachers) that people stick with their teen opinion of school.

Nothing wrong with that, who on earth in their right mind would want evaluate their teen life as an adult other than lolling at oneself.

Holding people to higher standards is the point of education. Aim for the moon at all times.

funny thing was that a mate of mine was asked by our old school do to some survey work into attitudes towards our school (polling pastmen, as we are called, for opinions).
apparently there was not one positive response to the 'would you send your child to the school' question, among the lads i've remained in contact with.
i went to an all boys secondary. i've no kids m'self, but i would regard sending a kid to an all boys school as a mistake. i believe the evidence is more equivocal on all girls schools?

I know I probably talked about this before, but despite being A Good Boy (top of my class, never in trouble) I really disliked school, and most of my teachers, and looked back on my school days as ... well, not the most miserable time of my life, but definitely well below the middle

Going back to the place for the first time since I left for my 30-year reunion kinda changed it for me though. Turns out the teachers were just people, and all the classmates I had struggled with were just beaten-down middle aged pricks like myself, and none of it mattered.

I haven't been arsed going to any school reunions. I have no more desire to meet people I didn't like in my teens than I have to meet complete strangers in similar surroundings. I'd probably be marginally more likely to like the strangers. Most of the guys I was friendly with, I stayed in contact with.

TBH things like this are to my mind justifying my (not a theory, an observance from a life next to teachers) that people stick with their teen opinion of school.

Nothing wrong with that, who on earth in their right mind would want evaluate their teen life as an adult other than lolling at oneself.

Holding people to higher standards is the point of education. Aim for the moon at all times.

by that I meant 'One rule Them (Teachers) one rule for rest of us (Kids)'

smacking, disrespect, not being allowed have your own opinions, hypocritical behaviour,
were regular characteristics of the worst teachers.

lots of teachers were nice and supportive but there was nothing to be done about the
bad ones.
the teacher who threw a piece of wood at my friend and knocked the glasses off his
face didn't even have a complaint made against him.

that man was about 50 but so immature and got stressed so easily.
his coping skills must have been terrible. no responsibility for his own behaviour.
i feel sorry for him that whether i talk to people in their 30's or 50's you hear
the same things about him again and again.

once some kids gave him a piece of woodwork to mark twice as a prank he gave
it a D the first time and the B the second time !

Yes - individuals weren't really the problem this was how people were treated in
Ireland and may well still be in many ways.
from the top down the state education system told me i was inferior to adults and
i had no say in the matter.

as an adult i do my best to treat people well always and i've never been violent to
anyone as an adult.
this wasn't much to ask for.

i always ask -
WOULD AN ADULT TOLERATE BEING TREATED LIKE A CHILD IS ?

I certainly wouldn't - people nearly always treat me well and i reciprocate that.

i don't have kids - i'd feel very guilty to put anyone through this again - it's not funny at all.

I haven't been arsed going to any school reunions. I have no more desire to meet people I didn't like in my teens than I have to meet complete strangers in similar surroundings. I'd probably be marginally more likely to like the strangers. Most of the guys I was friendly with, I stayed in contact with.

Same with the repeat leaving class in our Christian brothers, accepted women.

Which was great for us pubic boy creeps

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back