Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (8 Viewers)

My work is (basically) seasonal, so I'm used to having a couple of weeks here and there where I just need to hunker down and watch my pennies. This has been different obviously.
I'm at my best when I'm busy, so time off doesn't mean I get anything else done. God, it took me three months to flip the mattress.
It's just I'm mentally more able to deal with this shit than most I suppose. Or maybe I'm just a lazy prick. I have had some mad mad moments though. This has driven us all a bit crazy at different times in different ways.

Nonetheless, I'm amazed at the stuff other people are coming out with, and how badly they're handling this whole thing. I feel strangely lucky to be in a job where you're forced to sit on your arse for days on end waiting for the phone to ring. Who knew that'd become a life skill?

The traffic aspect of lockdown was amazing, being able to go out to the shops and saunter across the roads with no car getting anywhere near ya. That one Saturday evening where I went to the shop and it was a bit rainy and there were no cars anywhere and absolutely fuck all people in the shop was class.
I don't mind the other aspects of lockdown as there's pretty much nothing to bother me in the house, and actually I'm still basically in lockdown in terms of what I'm generally doing day to day (except today when I played football for the first time since March oh and the two days I had to go into town to get the ears cleaned). I doubt it will be that much different too until gigs come back and the cinemas opening would be nice. I couldn't give much of a fuck about 'the pubs' or restaurants or anything, takeaway is grand though

define 'second wave'

do the 'second wave-rs' genuinely think we're going to go back to the levels of April/May in terms of impact?

I was in town yesterday. Stuck a mask in my pocket should I have needed it. Never felt that I needed to put it on even once. Wasn't really in any shops, but you can see peoples' behaviour has seriously changed. Its ingrained in us now to stay away from people. Shops are controlling numbers. As are cafes, restaurants, whatever pubs are opened. Even if everyone isn't wearing masks, more people than ever before still are. People are reluctant to start jumping on planes again and, even when they do, I doubt it will be to a covid hotbed. There are still no gigs, or other events that draw massive crowds. Schools and colleges haven't been open since March. Most people are still working from home, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable.

So given all of the above, how is a second wave going to occur? Or what even is a second wave? 30 cases per day?

To put this into perspective, 14 cases per 100,000 head of population is what most countries are considering as the threshold for safe or not safe countries. We're currently at 3 per 100,000. To get to 14, I think we'd have to consistently be reporting 70 or more cases per day.

Genuinely, please explain it to me.

Or maybe the real question should be, how much covid are we willing to live with. Or should we just shut the fuck down out of the whole country until we get to zero cases, and leave it at that? (probably 6 months). But then we'll have to stop any foreign travel indefinitely too.

Considering you can have it and be spreading it for a good two weeks before showing any symptoms I don't see why we wouldn't have a second wave? Once the pubs open properly do you honestly think people with a couple of drinks in them will socially distance? Genuinely explain to me why a single person with it on a night out giving it to 14 people who in turn give it to, say, at least 5 more people every day for two weeks isn't feasible? I've been out and about town here, a tourist town in Ireland, full on tourist season crowds this weekend with no-one wearing masks and no room on the streets to socially distance.

Maybe it won't take off until October like the flu, and at that point we'll have completely lost the appetite for being careful and it'll be a culture of full on nihilism. Maybe nothing will happen, maybe it's all overblown. Maybe the people who are suddenly concerned for the mental health of a society in a financial depression will perhaps consider properly funding mental health services?

Not much I can do about it, everyone appears to have their mind made up about it one way or the other and i'll be surprised if the people with the most money won't be the ones who call the shots ultimately.

does anyone else notice that generally, it seems to be the generation in their 70s who'll believe any old shit?
i don't mean all of them, but most of the batshit nonsense spouting i see tends to be from my parents generation.

i had an argument/not argument with my father in law a couple of years ago. he'd met some chap for the first time, a friend of a friend, who told him the sea levels are rising not because of climate change but because of man made chemicals in it literally causing the water to expand. i tried to disabuse him of this notion, but he was taking the word of someone who he barely knew, as gospel. maybe he was more willing to listen to this guy because he viewed him as a peer, unlike me.
that's just one example of the nonsense i hear from him or my parents friends.

There was some study or other done about how the older generation are more trusting of someone they know over anything just on the internet. As in, they will not believe anything on the internet one way or the other unless one of their friends says it's true, at which point it's gospel, no matter how insane. And any link to the contrary won't work because they'd rather believe their friend they've known for years over some website on the internet that could be written by anyone. It's all very contradictory considering their friend is just spreading infowars insanity but that's not how it's viewed.

My own mother works with a Gemmtrails follower guy and i've had to explain to her a few times to please not listen to him about politics, even if he's a sound lad the rest of the time (which he probably is). I think it's slowly starting to get to her though :/

It's easy to get paranoid at home, thinking all pubs are now thronged with people shoulder to shoulder getting locked. My recent trips to the shops, people are much less enthusiastic about social distancing, but obviously numbers are being limited. So yeah, there is a new balance happening?

Virus hasn't changed, but we have to be fair.

I think that's possible but very rare, no? Usually symptoms, whether mild or not, appear from 4-6 days.
Sure but that's still a long time and potentially a lot of people.

I believe the actual percentage of people working from home in Ireland is under 30%. Obviously differs widely based on the job.

Considering you can have it and be spreading it for a good two weeks before showing any symptoms I don't see why we wouldn't have a second wave? Once the pubs open properly do you honestly think people with a couple of drinks in them will socially distance? Genuinely explain to me why a single person with it on a night out giving it to 14 people who in turn give it to, say, at least 5 more people every day for two weeks isn't feasible? I've been out and about town here, a tourist town in Ireland, full on tourist season crowds this weekend with no-one wearing masks and no room on the streets to socially distance.

Maybe it won't take off until October like the flu, and at that point we'll have completely lost the appetite for being careful and it'll be a culture of full on nihilism. Maybe nothing will happen, maybe it's all overblown. Maybe the people who are suddenly concerned for the mental health of a society in a financial depression will perhaps consider properly funding mental health services?

Not much I can do about it, everyone appears to have their mind made up about it one way or the other and i'll be surprised if the people with the most money won't be the ones who call the shots ultimately.
thats all logical and I can't argue with any of it.

But, the virus was here for 3 or 4 months before we had any kind of a lockdown or any kind of social distancing. That led us to have the numbers we had (though now it appears they've vastly overstated the numbers of deaths). Acknowledged there were probably lots more that went undetected.

I just can't see how we can go back to those levels. Sure we can expect numbers to rise again, but back to >1000 detections per day? I'd be very surprised to see that.

It's easy to get paranoid at home, thinking all pubs are now thronged with people shoulder to shoulder getting locked. My recent trips to the shops, people are much less enthusiastic about social distancing, but obviously numbers are being limited. So yeah, there is a new balance happening?

Virus hasn't changed, but we have to be fair.
exactly. That's the point. Even if everyone isn't being careful, most people are, at least to some extent.

thats all logical and I can't argue with any of it.

But, the virus was here for 3 or 4 months before we had any kind of a lockdown or any kind of social distancing. That led us to have the numbers we had (though now it appears they've vastly overstated the numbers of deaths). Acknowledged there were probably lots more that went undetected.

I just can't see how we can go back to those levels. Sure we can expect numbers to rise again, but back to >1000 detections per day? I'd be very surprised to see that.
I'm out of the predictions game - Lili "we won't even have a thousand deaths" Marlene here.

Honestly, i'm not worried of dying from it but am worried about all those side-effects of lung damage and blood clots that are getting reported. I really do not want to get this disease.

Sure but that's still a long time and potentially a lot of people.

I believe the actual percentage of people working from home in Ireland is under 30%. Obviously differs widely based on the job.
That can't be right. Literally everybody I know except for a few nurses and one journalist is working from home. Oh and @ernesto

That can't be right. Literally everybody I know except for a few nurses and one journalist is working from home. Oh and @ernesto
ehh, struggling to find figures here, maybe I made it all up. Lots of pre-covid figures. Hmm. Perhaps i'm way wrong.

In fairness - that is very much not what has happened so far.

edit: Which is encouraging, isn't it? I think it's encouraging
I'm looking at America and the UK and how they're just going ahead no matter what happens and trying to envisage Ireland closing up and locking down again if there's a big spike and i'm not seeing it. Do you think we would? Genuine question.

ehh, struggling to find figures here, maybe I made it all up. Lots of pre-covid figures. Hmm. Perhaps i'm way wrong.

I'm looking at America and the UK and how they're just going ahead no matter what happens and trying to envisage Ireland closing up and locking down again if there's a big spike and i'm not seeing it. Do you think we would? Genuine question.
I would say we would yeah. Catalonia has lockdown an area of 200,000 people. Possibly if there was an outbreak in a certain area you could do that as opposed to the whole country, depending on circumstances?

now that we have better testing/tracing infrastructure in place

do we though?

what gets my goat about the govt (mostly Varadkar and Harris) is that all the time we were locked down they were meant to be getting all that stuff sorted. Putting in efficient and quick contact tracing and testing. And that hasn't really happened at all, especially with people coming into the country from abroad.

The restart to travel that happened last week was well flagged in advance. Yet on the day you had that fucking sleezebag Harris whinging about, basically, how Ryanair are killing people by flying. Based on his shitty govt's own advice, travel was set to resume in July. On the back of that people went out and spent loads on family holidays, only to be told by Holohan that there should be no travel, in any circumstances. Cue uproar because people are losing out on both their holidays, and their money, that they spent in good faith. And those that go ahead with their travel are suddenly irresponsible and selfish. Fuck that shit. The govt need to own this and not be passing the buck to johnny punter who has made a lot of sacrifices up to this point.

If someone flies into the country with covid, the quicker the action, the better (obviously). But as it stands, there's barely any follow-up with those who are meant to be self-isolating. If you don't answer the phone when they call, there's no sanction. Its shit. And until it gets properly sorted, we're gonna be stuck in this rut where we see any increase in cases as having a potential to explode. Get proper tracing and testing, lock that shit down fast, and confidence will build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back