Corona Lifestyles - the new daily routine thread. (1 Viewer)

flashback

Wake up.
Remember everything's still fucked.
Make coffee.
Drink huge amounts of coffee and take shit, pebble-dashing the inside of the jacks, notice that your piss smells so strongly of caffeine it's overpowering the smell of shit.
Flush jacks, peek in with the hope that the pebble-dashing takes care of itself somehow.
Hop into shower, because toilet paper.
Log on to work.

> git fetch origin
> git rebase origin
> git commit -m "some fucking bullshit"
> git push origin

Zoom meeting.
Have another piss.
Come back to the computer and give up the pretense of working entirely.
Go for a bike ride in the forest. Pass cemetery on way. Notice the fucking number of patches of fresh earth all over the shop.
Ride for ages. Crash sparingly. Still can't do proper manuals. The shame...
Clean bike meticulously and place in squalid lunatic asylum building apartment.
Make dinner / breakfast / lunch: sardines from a can, plus vinegar on toast. Because fuck it, pandemic.
Try not to focus on the howling from the apartment on the other side of the wall.

> git fetch origin

Comment on Jira ticket! :)
Close! Done!

Booze oclock.
Notice you're smelling like carrion soaked in cat piss, because you forgot to shower after the bike ride.
Booze.
Internet.
Shower.
Booze.
...Unconsciousness.

7.00 - wake up. immediately forget what day it is.
8.00 - get out of bed and make breakfast (usually toast and peanut butter + a yogurt)
8.45 - shower and dress
9.00 - open my laptop. open all the tabs for the rolling coronavirus news + thumped + twitter
9.30 - check in with my boss. if there are no client requests (which are becoming increasingly rare) i find some other work to do
11.00 - work done. tea break!
11.30 - do online learning until lunch
13.00 - lunch (usually leftovers from the night before or a sandwich)
13.30 - back to work. check in with the team. do some admin.
14.45 - go for a run
15.45 - back at home. time for a snack!
16.00 - online courses and/or work
17.00 - stop for the daily UK government briefing
18.00 - check for any final outstanding work stuff. usually nothing. put my laptop away. open wine. call parents
18.45 - start making dinner
19.30 - eat delicious homemade dinner
20.00 - stick on movie, zoom with friends or read
23.00 - bed

7:15ish - wake about 7.15ish, turn on morning ireland, lie there for a bit
8:00 - buy newspapers for cocooning landlord & landlady + a take away latte and maybe a pastry from the cafe
8:05 - sit by the sea in clontarf and consume coffee and pastry
8:40ish - deliver papers, make porridge and a cup of mint tea
8:45ish - 6pm/7pm - work (with eating/shower/lie-on-bed gaps)
6pm/7pm - to bedtime - go for a walk for about an hour, maybe supermarket, cook, eat, maybe watch something, flute about on the internet, bed

Highlight of the day is generally the first hour

Wake up as youngest has jumped on you
Wake up eldest
Make breakfasts
Wife goes to work
Attempt to clear space at table
Second attempt to clear space
Get dressed
Get kids dressed
Get youngest dressed again
Sort out tantrum
Have tantrum
Third attempt to clear space at table
Sort out tantrum
Give up
Netflix to distract kids while I have zoom call
Interruptions to zoom call (snacks needed, snacks spilled, drinks needed, drinks spilled, fighting, door slamming, toilet incidents, Netflix problems, more snacks, more drinks)
Lunch for kids
Nap for youngest
Try and do schoolwork with eldest
Give up
Youngest wakes up
Snack
Unleash kids in garden
Attempt work
Interruptions to work (snacks needed, snacks spilled, drinks needed, drinks spilled, fighting, door slamming, toilet incidents, Netflix problems, more snacks, more drinks)
Give up
Start getting dinner ready
Wife returns from work
Sort out tantrums
Have dinner
Kids go to bed
Be too tired to do anything else
Repeat

4 pm - wake up
It's dinner time already
Why is it getting dark
I was really going off the rails at one point with the sleep schedule, and I did the:
wake up,
check clock,
check window,
but it's bright out?
check clock again

... is it tomorrow?

There's people losing the plot entirely in my job.

Like, we're not the most firmly anchored to the right side of sanity group of people to start off with. But I think the wheels are falling off here and there.

There's also the people that always did fuck all, who appear to still do fuck all? They might be giving the impression of being in relatively decent shape, but it's impossible to know. Seeing as they do fuck all regardless.

I had far and away the best person on my team quit, over a row (?) with someone else about another topic.

People talked, they might have unquit. But it's hurting loads of people, even if they're in what seems like a great position. It's upsetting to watch.

People are full on barricading themselves into their apartment and refusing to come out at all, ever, I think. I'm hearing things like "we're six weeks in and I'm running out of food".

I'm considering just staying up all night one night and then trying to get to sleep at a reasonable time the next evening

OK. So... bear with me. I used to work one floor down from a circadian lab, and I used to think that stuff was on the horoscopes end of the spectrum. It's not though. I ended up sitting in on their talks and reading up about it.

Force yourself to get up at 7, and stand in the sun. (Ireland, I get it. But... point your snout in the general direction of where you might imagine the sun to be.) You can go back to sleep afterwards.

That's all you have to do. Every day, get out, stand in daylight as early as you can for about 10 minutes say. If you can't do it at 7, do it at 9, whatever, just as soon as you can each day.

Your body has a clock, and virtually everybody's clock is off, I think most people's clocks are running around the 23 hour mark. That means if you let that clock tell you what's going on, and you don't set it, you drift quite quickly.

But resetting is easy: just expose yourself to the sun first thing in the morning.

You can prove this to yourself if you sleep rough for a while. No matter how fucked your sleep schedule is when you start, if you sleep outside you're back like clockwork after at most a week.

a friend's mother was senior cabin crew on aer lingus transatlantic flights years ago, and apparently the use of bright light to reset your body clock was a well known trick for them.

I've also been having crazy, extremely vivid dreams. Some have been lucid, which tbh, can be a lot of fun. But they're usually not lucid and quite grim.

I'm hating that my sleep patterns are starting to reflect hers, I've spent years and years actively working on mine, and it's worked mostly, until now. She's just like "Why are you getting up at 6am??". Because I fucking have to. I don't get up at 6am anymore. It's maddening, years of work undone by a few weeks of doing fuck all.

It's maddening, years of work undone by a few weeks of doing fuck all.

You'll be alright Sean :cool:

Worst case scenario, if you get badly out of wack, get a hammock and sleep outside for a week over the summer. If you string up a hammock they're comfortable as fuck. By me there's loads of mosquitoes, but if I can get myself in a breeze even that's alright.

A few days in you wake almost exactly at sunrise, whenever that is? 6-ish though.

Ah yeah, I'm sure I will. Sorry, had "a moment".

Nah man. People are falling to pieces all over the shop.

Irish people are about the worst in the world when it comes to mental health, and I'm a basket case, but this situation, us getting removed from our normal routine and told that "invisible danger lurks outside" is fucked.

It's not one of two of us weaker folk having a moment and then trying to harden the fuck up. It's all of us, all of the time. I suppose the least we owe each other is to acknowledge reality: this is fucked, everyone is upset by this.

Segueing between that little side chat and the original quarantine routine chat, almost every day either me or her will have to run off with a phone and talk to someone up who's posting silly shit on FB or whereever, and having "a moment" of their own. Basically we say to other people what flashback just said to me. Funny that. But yeah, that's an ever increasing part of our routine. But we both need it as much as anyone else.

Other than that, my routine consists of looking for work, discovering again that FB is fucking poison. That's a daily occurrence.
Doing random projects. Made bread today, built a picnic bench for squirrels the other day. Keep the radio on so I know what time of day it is. She likes cooking, that helps her head, so I've never eaten better.
Then a little stroll.
Then beers and Zoom.

Doesn't sound too bad, does it?

Woke up, fell out of bed
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup
And looking up I noticed I was late
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat
Made my way upstairs and had a smoke
And everybody spoke and I went into a dream

8am: I get up, and nothin' gets me down
You got it tough, I've seen the toughest around
And I know, baby, just how you feel
You got to roll with the punches and get to what's real

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back