Cooking Tips & Tricks (1 Viewer)

What's with all the twee fucking music on those videos? Oh, you want to cook? You must be some twee cunt who likes Zooey Deschenel. Have some garlic, my turnup wearing friend.

Anyone have any advice on mirepoix?

The internet says 2:1:1 Onion:Carrot:Celery

I find that to be way way too much onion and have been going 1:1:1

I feel like even that isn't enough carrot though

i'd flip that and go 1:2:2 but i like celery - 1:1:1 if yr using leek

every 6 weeks or so, i make a 4lb vat of bolognese. i use 2 large onions (/3 med), 6/8 large carrots and a head of celery. and no fresh tomatoes (just a tube of puree). the elizabeth david recipe, minus the livers and plus extra nutmeg.

i'd flip that and go 1:2:2 but i like celery - 1:1:1 if yr using leek

every 6 weeks or so, i make a 4lb vat of bolognese. i use 2 large onions (/3 med), 6/8 large carrots and a head of celery. and no fresh tomatoes (just a tube of puree). the elizabeth david recipe, minus the livers and plus extra nutmeg.

That's it? No stock?

That's it? No stock?

for the vat, it's:

12 streaky rashers (galtee)
carrot/onion/celery as above
3 lb mince (all round or 2:1 round:rib)
tube of tom. puree (roma)
bottle of white wine (italian obvs.)
chicken stock (home made)
half a nutmeg, freshly grated* (or to taste)
black pepper

this should give a vat of c.5.5 litres which then simmers down to about 4 litres over a long time and makes approx.7/8 dinners for a family of 4 @ c.425/450g per dinner.

*do not grate over the pot as it sometimes chips and they're a demon to remove and no fun to eat.

ho was yr recent pork?

for the vat, it's:

black pepper

this should give a vat of c.5.5 litres which then simmers down to about 4 litres over a long time and makes approx.7/8 dinners for a family of 4 @ c.425/450g per dinner.

*do not grate over the pot as it sometimes chips and they're a demon to remove and no fun to eat.

ho was yr recent pork?

very informative.

The pork truned out great. I lashed a turkey in the oven at lunch.

I was going to roast a chicken, but they had this gorgeous looking turkey there, so I grabbed it.

for the vat, it's:

black pepper

ho was yr recent pork?
Tomato puree ? Fuck sake you might as well just add a spoon and a half of sugar!

Pasata all the way over here.

No basil ? No oregano ? No garlic ? Just checking like.

Tomato puree ? Fuck sake you might as well just add a spoon and a half of sugar!

Pasata all the way over here.

140g roma puree is 99% tomato/1% salt, has 20g carbo of which 100% is sugars. that's <0.7g sugar per person per meal. (the napolina passata in my fridge has about one-third of that.)

No basil ? No oregano ? No garlic ? Just checking like.

no, no and thrice no. it's not a pot pourri.

major gripe - roma have altered the size of their vermicelli. much thicker now and cooks in 10 mins rather than 6 before. like the difference between fags and rollies.

can anyone recommend a finer vermicelli or know a good maker of spaghettini or vermicellini?

140g roma puree is 99% tomato/1% salt, has 20g carbo of which 100% is sugars. that's <0.7g sugar per person per meal. (the napolina passata in my fridge has about one-third of that.)

no, no and thrice no. it's not a pot pourri.
Never rated Napolina that highly. There was a class one in superquinn but I forget who made it.

I like herbs in sauces.

Still can't get over your use of puree. Madness i tell you.

You can use an apple slicer on potatoes to make chips

Rose%2BApple%2Bcorer.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back