Comprehensive list of acceptable Christmas music (1 Viewer)

In fairness I'm not sure I heard it even once growing up, I think it was more of a USA-based alt-classic, but it's around a lot more generally these days. Blame the monoculture I guess. I work with Americans who have never heard the Fairytale of New York.
I knew of The Waitresses since the early 90's but have no memory of hearing Christmas Wrapping until the end of the 90's so the Spice Girls covering it may be a factor. also as far as I know neither of The Waitresses LP's have ever been reissued strangely.
The song got to 42 in the UK charts in 1982 but I Know What Boys Like was a much better known song in the US.
Took me a long time to realise Chris Butler was also in Tin Huey.
Tracy's bassline is awesome. When I listen to the song online I can't heard the bass on some devices which shows old formats are the best.

Last edited:
I knew of The Waitresses since the early 90's but have no memory of hearing Christmas Wrapping until the end of the 90's so the Spice Girls covering it may be a factor. also as far as I know neither of The Waitresses LP's have ever been reissued strangely.
The song got to 42 in the UK charts in 1982 but I Know What Boys Like was a much better known song in the US.
Took me a long time to realise Chris Butler was also in Tin Huey.
Tracy's bassline is awesome. When I listen to the song online I can't heard the bass on some devices which shows old formats are the best.
They were reissued on this thing a few years back,

I'd say the interest isn't there for full reissues but considering some of the forgotten nonsense that gets reissued that must only sell a few hundred copies worldwide, who knows

They were reissued on this thing a few years back,

I'd say the interest isn't there for full reissues but considering some of the forgotten nonsense that gets reissued that must only sell a few hundred copies worldwide, who knows
Cheers Lili - The albums are still easy to get on vinyl but I didn't known about that CD reissue.
There was a letter in Mojo magazine in the early 2000's asking about the two LP's having any prospect of reissue and they didn't mention there being any legal problems - it just hadn't happened for whatever reason.

Chris Butler has told this story a bunch of times so not so much the article as the great comments ranging from:

For me it’s a Christmas song that really stands the test of time.
Listened to it today and hadn’t really noticed how great that bass line from Tracy Wormworth really is.

and

the only Christmas song.

to

If there is one thing which unites our immediate family, it is the intro to Christmas Wrapping. "Skip" comes the immediate and unanimous response. It is the most dreary, unmusical, lyrically lightweight and miserable Christmas song to ever get onto the 'compilation' roster.

But, having read the article, I at least understand, a little more, about why it is so awful.

oh fuck.

That song gives me the fear. The Sax solo bit is so frightening.

Plus there was this part of the video where the keyboardist, who looked a lot like Bill Gate's Ive subsequently realised, makes a rapey grab at her.

All of it is a hard no.

There isn't an actual video for the song.
But there is an unofficial fan video with various other film of the band on YouTube that has been shown on TV.
so part you mentioned was from the video for I Know What Boys Like which is very creepy and dated alright.

I was looking for some footage of FAUST playing a cement mixer to follow up the death metal washing machine on the drumming thread. so here's an Xmas carol featuring a cement mixer:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back