Comprehensive list of acceptable Christmas music (2 Viewers)

Chris Butler has told this story a bunch of times so not so much the article as the great comments ranging from:

For me it’s a Christmas song that really stands the test of time.
Listened to it today and hadn’t really noticed how great that bass line from Tracy Wormworth really is.

and

the only Christmas song.

to

If there is one thing which unites our immediate family, it is the intro to Christmas Wrapping. "Skip" comes the immediate and unanimous response. It is the most dreary, unmusical, lyrically lightweight and miserable Christmas song to ever get onto the 'compilation' roster.

But, having read the article, I at least understand, a little more, about why it is so awful.

I only heard it for the first time a few years ago. When I mentioned that, everyone I knew was incredulous.

I only heard it for the first time a few years ago. When I mentioned that, everyone I knew was incredulous.
In fairness I'm not sure I heard it even once growing up, I think it was more of a USA-based alt-classic, but it's around a lot more generally these days. Blame the monoculture I guess. I work with Americans who have never heard the Fairytale of New York.

While still on the subject I was surprised to learn The Waitresses were an American band. To me it sounds (or sounded) really English

Yes, after finding out I listened again with new ears and got it. Originally though I thought it was like "Luton Airport" or something
hahaha

They started off as a novelty side project for one of the guys from Tin Huey, so you were actually kind of correct. Even the name was chosen because it sounded like every other New Wave band in 1978.

Tune though

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyway, christmas, I think I posted this one already but it's the best Hold Steady Christmas song not played by the Hold Steady

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back