Comments sections on news sites (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 72
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 2
Made its way to broadsheet

Below The Belt

Rob says: The best things that trolls could do is ignore her. I’d say that would piss her off much more than critical comments.I get the sense that Una revels in the attention. Again, nothing to do with her being female.

Harry Molloy responds: spot on

thanks guys.

email from irish times just now
As part of a programme of ongoing improvements, we wish to advise you of a change to our comment facilities.

From today, to comment on an article, you will need to be an active digital subscriber. We are confident this change will help to promote better engagement from our commenting community. We want to ensure that commenting is a rewarding experience for all our commenters and readers as part of our mission to provide high-quality, distinctive journalism.

If you are already a subscriber who comments, you will still be able to use your existing login details and screen name.

Oh, lovely, I'm sick of poor people having opinions
I don't think being rich/poor comes into it. If you're browsing the Irish Times, more than likely you have enough money to stump up for a subscription (as you type on your few hundred euro PC or above-€1,000 Apple laptop).

For general topic sites, I've always thought that making people pay to post, no matter how small a payment is, will weed out the trolls. Take MetaFilter as an example, they've always required an initial payment to post and it definitely contributes to their quality content. For niche stuff (guess we could include thumped in this), you'll usually have folks on their best behavior.

Re: IT, didn't they hire that guy from politics.ie to be their community person? Was he asleep on the job? The IT seems to have turned a complete blind eye to comment moderation.

Marina Hyde wrote about premier league refs today but made an interesting side point

It just means – and I don’t want to get too Socratic here – more shit to argue about. And in just as toxic a way. Many are slow to accept this, which is why we still hear a lot of well-meaning stuff about “curating” web discussions. I always shriek with laughter at the idea of “curating”, with its genteel overtones conjuring visions of a museum director lovingly arranging his collection, when the reality is mostly playing a hugely expensive game of whack-a-mole with Holocaust deniers and so on.[/quotwe]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back