Comic Books (1 Viewer)

I only just read The Watchmen the other week. Fucking class. Another few i've reread of late were:

defective-stories.jpg

Charles%20Burns%20Black%20Hole.jpg

The second one is excellent.

Definitely get these series as they're the ones I've read at least twice through:

WalkingDead1.jpg

(The best zombie comic there is, bar none. Still on going, up the #51)

)
where can i get this.
for free, ideally.

Among other things:

'365 Days' by Julie Doucet. First thing I've read by her, through I've been meaning to pick up 'Dirty Plotte' for years but never got round to it. This was very nice. Took me a good while to get into it but after a awhile it became an enjoyable and oddly comforting read.

'I Am Going to be Small' by Jeffrey Brown. Not a huge fan of this guy's usual relationship-centred stuff but this collection of gags and random bullshit is pretty enjoyable.

'Cat Eyed Boy' Vol. 1 by Kazuo Umezu. Was considering picking this up but thought it was a little on the expensive side. Luckily, found a tasty second hand copy at the weekend. This is the third try I've given Umezu. I read bits of his signature series 'The Drifting Classroom' a few years ago and wasn't mad about it. Then I read the first volume of his 'Scary Book' series from Dark Horse. Godawful. But since he's considered to be one of the big three horror manga artists alongside Junji Ito and Hideshi Hino, I thought I'd give him a final spin. I'm glad I did, this book is goddamn great. It's similar in tone to a lot of the old EC horror comics with a Japanese twist. Around 550 pages of one-legged-shape-shifting-goblin goodness. Must get into 'The Drifitng Classroom' again.

Some more manga...first volumes of 'Gantz' and 'Ghost Talker's Daydream', which were both great. Latest volume of 'Parasyte'...still one of the better series coming out (well, being re-realeased) in English.

A coupla volumes of old Kodansha bilingual manga. One series is 'Section Chief Kosaku Shima', a manga aimed at businessmen about...doing business. With a bit of random nudity thrown. Kind of interesting. Also some volumes of 'Kobo the L'il Rascal' a 4-panel gag manga about the misadventures of a regular Japanese kid. Kinda 'Peanuts'-y. Pretty good and occasionally informative.

Also, two new Irish comics, 'Last Bus' and 'Gazebo'. The former was pretty decent, felt pretty insubstantial though. Promising. 'Gazebo' was very good, story-wise and particularly art-wise. My one criticism is that it borrows a little heavily from the Adrian Tomine, Seth, Joe Matt et al school of thinly-veiled autobiographical comics, almost to the point that you wouldn't know it was written by a non-American.

Thus endeth the long and uninteresting account of my recent comic-related activity.

Now comic creation is being outsourced to India!

http://www.virgincomics.com/

Virgin Comics and Virgin Animation is the creative collaboration of writer Deepak Chopra, filmmaker Shekhar Kapur, and maverick Sir Richard Branson.
Based in Bangalore, India, the company currently houses 50 artists and writers in a creative studio and is focused on two areas of development:

1. The creation of original stories and character properties that tap into The vast library of mythology and re-invent the rich indigenous narratives of Asia in a unique, compelling, and entertaining way.
2. Collaborating with creative talent from around the world - from filmmakers, to writers, to musicians, and other artists - to craft original stories and character properties initially in the form of comics and graphic novels subsequently to be developed into films, television, animation, gaming, wireless content, online, merchandise and more.

Envisioned as a creative exchange, Virgin Comics and Virgin Animation is also leading the transition of India as an outsourcer to a source of innovative and dynamic creations and creators. With an eye on the rapidly evolving entertainment market (550 million kids under the age of 20 in the next 10 years in India alone), Virgin Comics will strive to create properties infused with a mythic sensibility that resonate with readers and audiences around the world. Utilizing the powerful and bold Virgin brand, Virgin comics is positioned to carve out a unique space in the powerful character branded entertainment arena and create a new wave of global comic entertainment.

I think this crowd are now liquid comics after a mangement buyout or something. http://www.liquidcomics.com - quite good for a read. Good art and stories.

TintinSoviets.jpg

Read this, interesting historically but painfully shit and not a patch on any of the later Tintin adventures.

loegblack.jpg

This was pretty good. Plenty of 'intertextuality', pastiche comics and magazines from various eras within. A bizarre distillation of mid-twentieth century british culture. I think Mr. Moore might be taking too much ketamine these day if the ending is anything to go by.

Read a few Irish small press ones of late too I picked up in that comix/toy shop in Temple Bar. One wasn't great, stale vignettes. Stuff I've seen a hundred times before. The other was more interesting, the life of a Dublin bus driver. Still slice of life stuff but it had a fairly well developed story arch and verisimilitude. Any of you pricks do your own comix?

TintinSoviets.jpg

Read this, interesting historically but painfully shit and not a patch on any of the later Tintin adventures.

Hey, c'mon. Tintin crashes and blows up his car about five times. It's great. Have you read Tintin in the Congo? It features a scene where Tintin drills a hole in a Rhino, then blows him up with dynamite. He also kills a monkey, skins it and wears his flesh as a costume. Good times. I also kinda like the art in the black and white versions of Soviets and Congo, for some reason.

I've got the Congo one too. I haven't read it yet. I liked some of the 'satire' in the soviets one. The Potemkin factories for display to the British communists were great but I thought it was fairly shit otherwise.

Would like to try writing a script at some stage (can't draw for sh*t). They make me work though. Everyday the same, work, work, work.

I read Black Summer by Warren Ellis and Juan Jose Ryp, there a week or so ago. Very good art, but crap story line and dialouge.

bs7wrap.jpg

Also read the introduction to the Hitman by Garth Ennis and John McCrea in The Demon Annual #2. Pretty excellent, funny, whacky stuff. Looking forward to reading more of it. Garth Ennis is an excellent writer I think.

Demon%20Anl%202.jpg

I'm reading Ghost In The Shell at the moment. Pretty great stuff, although I don't really understand it at all.

835-1.jpg

Reading Watchmen at the moment like the band-wagon jumping fucker that I am.

Got the PDF from Mininova.
It's fucking class!
Definitely have to pick up a few of the other recommendations in this thread.

supreme-the-story-of-the-year.jpg

Just started reading this. Very entertaining metafiction, and looks great too. I'll be returning it to the Ilac Library before the month's out if anyone wants to pick it up.

I also really enjoyed Joel Orff's 'Strum and Drang' collection of his Great Moments in Rock n' Roll. Pretty addictive stuff http://jorff.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back