COME ON IRELAND (1 Viewer)

From today's GuaRdiAn (Doh! In the other thread already...):
The Football Association of Ireland is at the centre of yet another of its trademark shambles, this time over the family bereavement which has ruled Stephen Ireland out of Wednesday's trip to Prague. Ireland was told by FAI officials shortly after Saturday's 2-2 draw in Slovakia that his maternal grandmother, to whom he is particularly close, had died. It was not until he arrived home to Cheshire that he discovered it was in fact his paternal grandmother who had passed away. In the meantime, the FAI issued a statement that led to the wrong grandmother being named as deceased in several newspapers. "I was up half the night [sorting it out]," sniffed Ireland manager Stan 'Steve' Staunton. "We were given the wrong information. It's his grandmother, we send him our best wishes and that's the end of that."

From today's GuaRdiAn (Doh! In the other thread already...):
The Football Association of Ireland is at the centre of yet another of its trademark shambles, this time over the family bereavement which has ruled Stephen Ireland out of Wednesday's trip to Prague. Ireland was told by FAI officials shortly after Saturday's 2-2 draw in Slovakia that his maternal grandmother, to whom he is particularly close, had died. It was not until he arrived home to Cheshire that he discovered it was in fact his paternal grandmother who had passed away. In the meantime, the FAI issued a statement that led to the wrong grandmother being named as deceased in several newspapers. "I was up half the night [sorting it out]," sniffed Ireland manager Stan 'Steve' Staunton. "We were given the wrong information. It's his grandmother, we send him our best wishes and that's the end of that."

good jaysis.
welcome back to Ireland Joss.

So there it is. Same team as Saturday other than Reid in for Ireland.
Fullbacks still on the wrong side, McGeady & Kilbane still in.

i really tried to care, you saw me, but not no more. stan out. sigh.

Oh well.. regarding the team selection we don't have an enormous number of options, really.. I would've moved Kilbane to left-back in place of Kelly and put Stephen Hunt in on left-side midfield (he better at least come on as a sub, if we're looking to win this), but other than that who do you change? McGeady was poor on Saturday but he's supposed to have the potential to fill the role and he must damn well know that he has to prove his worth on Wednesday. I can only assume that the full-back swapover is to balance the midfield cover on the left and right-hand sides (i.e. Kelly with Kilbane covering as opposed to Kelly with the less defensively-minded McGeady covering, which the Czechs would attack as a weak flank). O'Shea and Kelly are at least both partially familiar with the positions they're being played in and we have no obvious left back option anyway. I dunno, fuck it, last chance time, it's certainly about time we had something to cheer from this team.

The end of that game left me screaming:

"I can't believe it.... but I can completely believe it!"

Anyway, to be absurdly optimistic (which one has to be to watch this team), if we beat the Czechs we go ahead of them in the group and then only have to match their results to qualify.

We play Germany and Cyprus at home followed by Wales away.

They play Slovakia at home and Germany and Cyprus away.
If we beat them I honestly think we'll qualify.

I don't think that we'll beat them however unless we score with the last kick of the game, a la San Marino. Otherwise, we will concede if we take the lead. Its literally the law. Fuxache, come on Ireland.

Come the fuck on jolly.

I'm watching the England game tonight.

1. I won't alternate between hope, despair and anger quite so quickly, thereby prolonging my life.
2. I'm awful interested in seeing if Hiddink can mastermind a result against them.
3. I get to laugh at/abuse Heskey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back