College courses Vs Current situation (1 Viewer)

Gambra

Anarchic Harmonics
Website
www.noisenotmusic.org
I'm just really wondering for future reference but, how did the college course you do affect your couurent career? Are you doing something directly related or are you doing something completly different?

Gambra said:
I'm just really wondering for future reference but, how did the college course you do affect your couurent career? Are you doing something directly related or are you doing something completly different?
I was working in IT for a few years, then got transferred (against my will) to our press office. decided to do an advertising / pr / marketing diploma at night & sat the exams 9 months later.

The day after i finished the exams i was told i was being transferred back to IT.

so... "not at all" would be the answer to your question. but at least i finally got some form of third level thing, so that's ok.

the only reason i have my current job is because I have a degree. the subject doesn't really matter, but the piece of paper saying that you were willing to learn more does. do something that you like.

nEiLo said:
the only reason i have my current job is because I have a degree. the subject doesn't really matter, but the piece of paper saying that you were willing to learn more does. do something that you like.

oh yeah, i don't really like my job, but it pays well and is easy enough.

I studied electronics then became a furniture fitter for 3 years.

I'm back in college now and determined to get a job in the area I'm studying, which is Ocean Science by the way.

i have a degree in philosophy which makes you qualified in not very much, but it's open, so you don't get channelled into one field.
it's been a little bit (and i mean only a little) handy for what im doing now, but not a huge amount.
generally speaking, unless you're fairly sure you want to be, say, an occupational therapist for example, (in which case you'd be doing yourself a favour getting an occupational therapy degree) you can find yourself having degree X and doing work A. no matter.

Yeah. I did a music degree last year and didnt really know what to do with it so this year I'm just finishing my teaching degree - obviously very handy if you want to get into teaching, but Ive just done it to give myself something to fall back on. I'm still not sure what I want to do "when I grow up"....might try an office job, or I might get sucked into teaching for the next 20 years. The holidays are great...

I have a degree in Film and Broadcasting. Although I work in a relevant area, none of my employers to date have cared whether or not I had a degree, they just wanted to know what experience I had. So, four years well spent.

Apparently though, qualifications matter much more anywhere outside of Ireland.

It really depends what you're into. If you like learning for its own sake, then do a degree in Arts or Science, or whatever kinds of stuff you're into, and not only will it be easier to get a job later, you'll have learned how to learn. The point of an Arts degree, really (or, in my view), is to learn how to be your own teacher, and no degree can harm your employment prospects.

I think college is hurtling dangerously into the territory of being little more than professional training, or a 'qualification', with too little focus on the value of knowledge for its own sake, but as much as it is being pushed in that direction, there's still a lot more to it than just being 'qualified' to do a job when you finish. You might have a piece of paper that says you have certain skills, or that you've completed particular tasks, but college is what you make of it, and you'll get out of it what you put into it.

I'm still in college, and have been for something like 11 years, and even if I don't end up in my specific field at the end of it all, I'll have learned tons and tons, and feel like I'm more able to think critically, solve intellectual and practical problems creatively, and design and carry out projects. It's not all come from stuff I've done directly related to a 'course', but it is all part of being part of the process of education.

I wouldn't worry too much about picking a course that exactly matches what you think you want to do afterward, and I'd always steer people toward broadly-themed degrees like Arts and general science (especially if he/she isn't exactly sure about career plans) because if you did a course that was a very specific 'professional' type of qualification, and decided at the end you wanted to do something else, you might find you'd have to go back and start over again because your degree might be too specific for whatever your new career idea might be.

I'm heading into my last few weeks of my degree and I basically can't get a job from it, or at least not a job that I couldn't get without having done it. Don't want to do a masters straight away either so it's a pain in the hole.

jane said:
I'm still in college, and have been for something like 11 years, and even if I don't end up in my specific field at the end of it all, I'll have learned tons and tons, and feel like I'm more able to think critically, solve intellectual and practical problems creatively, and design and carry out projects. It's not all come from stuff I've done directly related to a 'course', but it is all part of being part of the process of education.

Me too, we need more jobs in think tanks, that would be great. And no harm to put a bit more thought into government either.

Gambra said:

i wouldn't be doing what i am doing if i didn't have my particular degree and masters. even though they were very different fields.

but closely connected

An ex of mine did a degree and masters in biotechnology then after a year of working in the field she jumped ship and is now a very happy accountant.

Another ex was a fantastic pianist who finished her performance degree and also went straight into accountancy.

The moral here is that you can always retrain. And that something in me turns people into accountants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back