Coffee (1 Viewer)

Coffee is best enjoyed

• Total voters

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
very interesting. i've always had bad results with stove top makers - i.e. burnt coffee. i may try this again in the future. i have a gaggia classic espresso machine for the last 15 years or so, and i've used the hob one at times when it's needed a service. never thought of pre boiling the water, timing it or even running it under a cold tap. always suspected i was just doing it wrong...

i've been using the fair trade beans from lidl for some time. i really like the colombia ones. not particularly expensive.
tried again there now. Better results. Still need to catch it a little earlier. The coffee definitely wasn't as burnt as before, and while its still cloudy, there were definitely less bits in it, pumping up the spout from the filter.

Unicron

Supporter
Solutions
Website
theformersovietreublic.bandcamp.com
oh also, and I never knew this before, but you have to always put the full amount of water in, up to the line, otherwise the pressure levels aren't right, it seems

For this reason it can be handy to have ones of different sizes. eg a single serve one and a larger one. Or just drink a massive cup of coffee that you make from the big one

magicbastarder

Website
stroma.org
cheers, i bought one in avoca a couple of years back and it's gone very sloppy.
my wife bought a tea/coffee filter thingy in tesco yesterday (so she can use loose leaf tea more easily), and the box had a little catalogue in it, which included this, which looks interesting. it has two burrs, an 'easy and fast' one and one which i guess is a 'you can't enjoy it unless you've suffered making it' option.

hiadudiad?

Bodacious Cowboy
Supporter
Solutions
I got a burr one some years ago, it has a kind of a nut thing you can turn for fine/coarse control. I don't use it, its a pain in the hole.

dudley

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Contributor
Since 1999
Website
www.thedudleycorporation.com
We treated ourselves to this one last year, it's *awesome*

Last edited:

hermie

Supporter
Website
Visit site
I'm obviously a philistine but why on earth would you need an expensive grinder? I think the one I have cost about 30 quid.

Unicron

Supporter
Solutions
Website
theformersovietreublic.bandcamp.com
I'm obviously a philistine but why on earth would you need an expensive grinder? I think the one I have cost about 30 quid.

A blade grinder doesn't actually grind the beans so much as chop it, which apparently is bad.

I quite like the ritual involved in hand grinding beans, probably much in the same way some people enjoy doing rollies.

magicbastarder

Website
stroma.org
i have a mill i can use, but i *think* the benefit of a burr grinder is that the grounds drop away when they're the right size. a mill will continue to chop up the grounds which have already reached the right size, while it's still dealing with the bits that need to be chopped down, so it doesn't give a consistent grind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Activity

Loading…

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads