Clocks go back (1 Viewer)

My dad's family in Monaghan never changed their clocks when he was young. Must have made it very hard to arrange meetings.
Shades of The Burning of Bridget Cleary. There's a whole section about how clock time was used as a tool of the empire on the Irish. Fascinating stuff.

I brought it up here before but thumped quitter Ted was very much on the side of the empire.

I'm not naming names, but I know someone who used to set their clock five minutes forward, to help them be on time for things.

1) it didn't work
2) are they mental?

Shades of The Burning of Bridget Cleary. There's a whole section about how clock time was used as a tool of the empire on the Irish. Fascinating stuff.

I brought it up here before but thumped quitter Ted was very much on the side of the empire.

Apparently the main thing it led to was whenever they tried to arrange something there was a conversation along the lines of "now is that 2 o'clock old time or new time?"

Like the uk got rid of dublin mean time after the easter rising.
Can't help but think it was a punishment from Britain for wanting self-determination

I'm not naming names, but I know someone who used to set their clock five minutes forward, to help them be on time for things.

1) it didn't work
2) are they mental?

Sounds like my father, but he doesn't have anywhere to go (where he needs to be on time for)

I think there was some town in co limerick that tried changing their time so that it was a half hour off the rest of the country. A quick googling did not yield any relevant results so I might be imagining it.

1) it didn't work
2) are they mental?
the french railways ran like this for years:
"the railway companies used a unified time which lagged behind Paris solar time by 5 minutes, for the benefit of non-punctual travellers."

There's a whole section about how clock time was used as a tool of the empire on the Irish.
Can't help but think it was a punishment from Britain for wanting self-determination
What? Lads, if messing like this was all empires did then empires WOULD BE OK. It's the murdering and pillaging that is the problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back