Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (2 Viewers)

the german greens had a big internal fight in the 90s between the two main wings of the party — the “fundis” and the “realos” (so, “fundamentalist” hardcore eco-warrior people, and “realistic” managerial types). the “realos” won the day, and they went into government with the SPD, with joska fischer as foreign minister.

fischer promptly joined the NATO bombing of serbia (first deployment of german armed forces outside germany since 1945). so the “realos” not only crushed the “fundis” internally, but they also ended up being a critical *pro-war* voice in german politics, and have remained so to this day. like their symbol is a fucking flower but they were the actual people to order the bombing of belgrade, it’s pretty absurdly hypocritical.

and so, to this day, they are just weirdly hyper-pro-NATO, and with NATO basically prodding the russians into a corner over the last 20 years, they are now in a situation where putin is finally willing to possibly push back (in an asshole way! I’m not a putin fan!), and big chunks of the german greens are sort of fine with the idea of war in ukraine

but yeah, we all love windmills, right
But I don't get it, what's wrong with NATO having missiles in Estonia? The Russians have their missiles in Cuba, so...

the “fundis” and the “realos” (so, “fundamentalist” hardcore eco-warrior people, and “realistic” managerial types)
You've managed to make both sides in the conflict seem distasteful.

taubstumm said:
their symbol is a fucking flower but they were the actual people to order the bombing of belgrade, it’s pretty absurdly hypocritical
Would you say that it's possible that, given it's the Green party, perhaps the flower symbolises, like, plants and the natural world? Rather than peace?

this is a flip on the more recent data/propaganda (depending on which side of the fence you sit on) about grasslands being a net carbon sink; my understanding was that they had managed to claim beef farming absorbed CO2 by dint of ignoring methane effects on GHG.

grasslands sequester carbon; it's said that grasses store their carbon underground and woodlands store it overground, but the whole topic of whether pastureland which is used to rear cattle does it enough to offset GHG emissions.

i did read a year or two back that one accounting trick they used to claim that pastureland sequestered carbon, was as mentioned, that they disregard methane as it's not permanent in the atmosphere. which is pretty fucking cynical (assuming i read it correctly)

From that article:

The findings from these tests will feed into the development of the larger next-generation version of JET, known as ITER and based in France.

The ITER milestone timeline is worth a read, 35 years of them!

Somewhat in line with Boucher Hayes' summary of the IPCC recommendations, I read Jason Hickel's book Less is More about the degrowth concept a few weeks ago.. His case is, in short, as long as capitalism is the dominant economic mechanism, we're fucked, because:
1.capitalism requires us to grow the economy by about 3% every year to avoid falling into recession
2. a 3% growth rate compounded means your economy doubles in size roughly every 2.5 decades
3. so far they've never figured out a way to properly decouple economic growth from material resource usage, despite people's best efforts.
4. any increases in efficiency because of better technology automatically get swallowed up by the growth impulse.
So until we find an alternative economic system that doesn't depend on constant growth, all we're doing is trying to somewhat curb the rate of damage.
He had a section in the book about how a lot of the 2015 COP pledges were heavily based on 'BECCS' (carbon capture and storage) which is unproven to the point of being near-fictitious, so I'm glad that the new IPCC report seems to trash that idea.

Somewhat in line with Boucher Hayes' summary of the IPCC recommendations, I read Jason Hickel's book Less is More about the degrowth concept a few weeks ago.. His case is, in short, as long as capitalism is the dominant economic mechanism, we're fucked, because:
1.capitalism requires us to grow the economy by about 3% every year to avoid falling into recession
2. a 3% growth rate compounded means your economy doubles in size roughly every 2.5 decades
3. so far they've never figured out a way to properly decouple economic growth from material resource usage, despite people's best efforts.
4. any increases in efficiency because of better technology automatically get swallowed up by the growth impulse.
So until we find an alternative economic system that doesn't depend on constant growth, all we're doing is trying to somewhat curb the rate of damage.
He had a section in the book about how a lot of the 2015 COP pledges were heavily based on 'BECCS' (carbon capture and storage) which is unproven to the point of being near-fictitious, so I'm glad that the new IPCC report seems to trash that idea.
yep - without reading any books I realised capitalism (@ 3% p.a.) was driving climate change and there is no plan B.
it's not compatible with long term survival and we are indeed fucked.
how often have I seen major decision makers or mutinational bosses asked -
"What ya gonna do when inevitably ya can't keep growing at 3% any more??" - never.

having said this very few people including myself have much concept of quite how bad this is going to be.
people are still having kids, going on holidays, watching millionares play sport on TV and all the of other state of grace stuff we love doing.

it's when you read stuff like the irish glass bottle site development being announced, that it becomes how plain that so many people haven't copped that building on low lying reclaimed land is the new building on a river flood plain.

it's when you read stuff like the irish glass bottle site development being announced, that it becomes how plain that so many people haven't copped that building on low lying reclaimed land is the new building on a river flood plain.
You need to get in on the ground floor with my new building stilts company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back