Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (5 Viewers)

dear god, why did i start arguing with farmers on boards last night, about the sources of atmospheric methane?
Just reading through that thread, lol.

I AM A FARMER.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

anyway, this guy probably gets it in one

I depend on Turf for example, made some enquires about Solar, Heat Pumps and mother of God the grants available are ridiculous and the hoops a person has to jump through to get them is ludicrous. Notwithstanding I'd probably have to remortgage to install an air to heat pump system, I'd then be ridden silly with electrical price increases.

I certainly don't expect a total hand out but government policy on trying to encourage people to change, is all over the place and maddening at times.

Here we have the perfect coming together of not being able to afford anything and total dedication to market-based, individualized solutions to living where anything that involves helping others is "a total hand out" and we'd rather the entire planet is razed before we bruise our pride with anything approaching community.

The government should be retrofitting the entire country no matter what the cost, not on a grant system but on a pro-active reaching out, surveying every house and fixing it one by one.

"But, but the cost!" yeah yeah, still considerably less than the cost of total climate breakdown.

a brief aside here:
it is largely unnecessary to use the amount fuel used for home heating in Ireland.

if someone is sitting in their house all day with heat on wearing only a T shirt they are seriously squandering fuel.
there's usually about 2 months of the year that it is genuinely cold.
the main reason I see central heating being need is to stop houses getting damp.

I've lived plenty of winters in houses that had no central heating or with no heating in my bedroom and it was tolerable. especially compared to working outside during winter.

using less, whether it's driving less or only having radiators on when necessary has to be more on the agenda.

Irather s
"Tolerable". That's a real easy sell at the polling booth. Vote for us and your life will be tolerable
of course FF and FG are fairly intolerable at the best of times!
if we want to get serious about reducing emissons, things like using less heating have to get on the agenda a lot more. I am not saying go without heating.

having said that I'd rather wear a jumper and spend my money on records than radiators.
the radiator in my bedroom has never worked and room my is OK.
me records aren't mouldy.

I'd obviously be the kind of person who would spend the minimum on heating.
hands up who grew up in houses that had no radiators? lots of us.
I lived in bungalow for 7 years in the 80's where I slept in a bedroom at the far end of the house from where the Stanley stove was. ever since I was suspicious of radiators merits.

I may well be biased.
a big part of my mindset is if I don't see the point in something, I won't bother with it.
but that's another story.

while i was arguing with farmers on boards last night, i learned that teagasc estimate that producing 1KG of beef in ireland produces about 23KG of CO2. that's the same as what comes out of my car exhaust if i drive about 170km (i'm ignoring all other CO2 costs of driving there, to be fair)

while i was arguing with farmers on boards last night, i learned that teagasc estimate that producing 1KG of beef in ireland produces about 23KG of CO2. that's the same as what comes out of my car exhaust if i drive about 170km (i'm ignoring all other CO2 costs of driving there, to be fair)
yeah that sounds about right, huge amounts water and land used as well.
there has to be huge investment in agriculture to switch away from low yield, high pollution food.
and the government are not up to the job.

there's probably a few farmers who just finished building big new slatted sheds for their livestock.
the government should have been expressly telling farmers this is not viable for years.

some folks have land that is only useful for grazing, so they will need incentives to manage the land and start a career outside farming.

if it helps secure a good income in the long term most farmers will change but it won't be cheap but it can be done.

might be worth mentioning that a lot of people are reluctant to sell farms, particularly small holdings, because of tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back