Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (2 Viewers)

I'm sure, just like in literature, we're punching above our weight with all those new data centers. Unless we find a U2 style creative accounting way of spreading that carbon accountability worldwide?

It's currently a big Brexit Dad thing in the UK to say they should do nothing about climate change because they're less than 5% and China exists.

interesting point; how much change would it make if CO2 emissions were tagged to the parent country of the company producing them, rather than where they're produced (though they'd be able to obfuscate that with creative accounting too).

interesting point; how much change would it make if CO2 emissions were tagged to the parent country of the company producing them, rather than where they're produced (though they'd be able to obfuscate that with creative accounting too).

We'd probably win then? cosidering we are the global (tax) headquarters for a million things.

It's currently a big Brexit Dad thing in the UK to say they should do nothing about climate change because they're less than 5% and China exists.

Was thinking about that one there - Like the thing about china is they'll burn coal till they are walking about in respirators, and then after two years of sheer brutality at economic, societal and labour levels they'll be carbon neutreal - like the've probably planned for this because they know they can work a portion of their labour force to death, but not all. meanwhile brexit dad is still struggling with brexit and not realising that us westerners need nice gentle changes because we are soft.

I'm sure, just like in literature, we're punching above our weight with all those new data centers. Unless we find a U2 style creative accounting way of spreading that carbon accountability worldwide?

When you think about it, we're doing the world a favour by having them here in our nice temperate climate. Imagine the AC costs of setting them up in Morocco. Well done to us.

I'm actually not sure how much of a sarky prick I'm being when I say that.

I’m normally deeply suspicious of the output of ‘think tanks’ but the paper discussed in this video does seem to present a semi plausible path for humanity to veer away from the environmental precipice (within the constrictions of existing capitalist systems), if anybody Is looking for reasons to be optimistic on that front:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That channel is a good watch for environmental news / discussion generally by the way.

When you think about it, we're doing the world a favour by having them here in our nice temperate climate. Imagine the AC costs of setting them up in Morocco. Well done to us.

I'm actually not sure how much of a sarky prick I'm being when I say that.
I think I saw real plans for putting data centers is naturally cold places, including places which can just sink heat directly into the sea.

I'm not sure where exactly I saw these plans, I thought they were close to real if not real though.

this is kinda funny in a 'jesus, do they think we're that fucking dumb' way:

I'm probably not going to click on it but I did lol at the intro line there.
In some of my work though I do bounce off some of these people from time to time (nobody really mentioned there, just the same kinda field) and It reminds me just how far people are from comprehending all this stuff. Like there is a full blown possiblity that even with the advertorial cheque cashed etc etc that they'd actually believe that they are saving the planet by buying a 2 ton car. Probably will look at this like one of those 'smoking while playing tennis' style 70's ciggarette ads in a few years.

also, twitter is amused at the fact that various photos used in the article show him parked on a double yellow, and partially and completely across a footpath.

also, FWIW, i was looking at the 'what car?' customer reliability survey yesterday, and land rover come last by an eyewatering margin.

I'm probably not going to click on it but I did lol at the intro line there.
In some of my work though I do bounce off some of these people from time to time (nobody really mentioned there, just the same kinda field) and It reminds me just how far people are from comprehending all this stuff. Like there is a full blown possiblity that even with the advertorial cheque cashed etc etc that they'd actually believe that they are saving the planet by buying a 2 ton car. Probably will look at this like one of those 'smoking while playing tennis' style 70's ciggarette ads in a few years.
I clicked on it.

I watched the advert/video.

I hope The Irish Times got paid well for that, it was pretty manky.

I think I saw real plans for putting data centers is naturally cold places, including places which can just sink heat directly into the sea.

I'm not sure where exactly I saw these plans, I thought they were close to real if not real though.
was reading of testing submerging comms cabs full of them into the sea.
Super efficient if sealed correctly

yeah, I got into reading about this at one point.

You can even have the heat pumping itself away if you design the plumbing properly.

So many of our service jobs involve having to work on systems that were installed with no thought on how to get at them if something breaks. My sympathies for whoever ends up having to do repair work on something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back