Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (2 Viewers)

lol, Spiked Online's reaction to the ISPCC report is as expected. No I won't be linking but in summary, it's all a middle class plot by the Guardian to stop the "wealth creators" who just want poor people to be rich.

it’s always a bit weird to think that spiked emerged out of a group that was, if I understand it right, trotskyist marxist. and they still occasionally publish stuff that is, broadly speaking, left-aligned. for example, they published a really good piece by wolfgang streeck recently that I took a read through. but then I clicked back through to the main page and it was just loopy stuff that could have been fox news or the like. weirdos.

it’s always a bit weird to think that spiked emerged out of a group that was, if I understand it right, trotskyist marxist. and they still occasionally publish stuff that is, broadly speaking, left-aligned. for example, they published a really good piece by wolfgang streeck recently that I took a read through. but then I clicked back through to the main page and it was just loopy stuff that could have been fox news or the like. weirdos.

Living Marxism yeah, AFAIK its always been a bit of a lunatic fringe publication. It is frustrating that they occasionally have some very incisive commentary you won't find elsewhere (well, until Unherd launched)

"Humanity is underrated" is such a bitchy, passive aggressive slogan. An entire political identity formed around hating the Guardian Comment is Free opinion section.

have you seen indymedia.ie lately?

Living Marxism yeah, AFAIK its always been a bit of a lunatic fringe publication. It is frustrating that they occasionally have some very incisive commentary you won't find elsewhere (well, until Unherd launched)

"Humanity is underrated" is such a bitchy, passive aggressive slogan. An entire political identity formed around hating the Guardian Comment is Free opinion section.

and funded by actual cartoon-villain oil billionaires

it’s the sort of thing you’d reject from a film script for being too on-the-nose

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and funded by actual cartoon-villain oil billionaires

it’s the sort of thing you’d reject from a film script for being too on-the-nose

Don't forget the Spiked commentators that have moaned about being silenced and cancelled all the way into important Tory positions, e.g. longtime Spiked writer Munira Mirza heading that commission this year that found the UK is definitely not racist at all. There's a few more like that.

Haha wow it's full on just mentalists now

Someone edit as appropriate pls

iRtrBOr.png

Solar panels will break after a decade. My dads broke after 5 years I think, literally weeks after the repair warranty on them expired. He rang up and gave out enough for them to fix it for free to make him go away.
Really? Were they water-based or PV? I don't see any reason for PV to break, there are no moving parts or anything

We looked into changing from our 15 year old pellet boiler to a heat pump there during the summer. We'd have to change all the radiators to allow for the lower temperatures and put more insulation in the attic, whole thing added up to the guts of 20 grand (minus 3.5k govt grant). We're willing to spend money to Save The Planet, but that's an awful lot, and as far as I can tell our heating bills would only be reduced by around a third ... then I looked up the carbon emissions per kW/h for pellets versus heat pump - could only find numbers for the UK electricity grid, but for there at least wood pellets emit *less* carbon (and then there's also the environmental cost of the manufacture of the heatpump instead)

Long story short - got some new parts for the pellet boiler, gonna try and get another 15 years out of it

Been following this series for a while on youtube.

They go under the tag of i guess not really saying its about being off grid, just low consumption etc.
I always wondered mostly how they are affording all this shit, and it seems the same guy was the guy behind phoneblocks which probably answers that question.

Anywhooo 20 odd episodes later what I sorta notice is a lot of things end up being done kinda exactly like the neighbours do them, that in off grid terms the water / electric is the sticking point.
Also like on a completely environmental level just staying in Eindhoven and leavving the land alone would have been the option with the least consumption.
I'll keep watching it though it feeds into a few things I like to zone out and think about it. Possibly just DIY montages and the dreamy lady who shows up after a while.

MEANWHILE IN BRITAIN. BAck for my first hate watch of this show for a while - Even though they have silly accents I do enjoy getting the look into the industrial side. Obvs this thing is stage managed to a fine point - they make seeminly solid arguments about battery power at industrial scale.

Really? Were they water-based or PV? I don't see any reason for PV to break, there are no moving parts or anything

We looked into changing from our 15 year old pellet boiler to a heat pump there during the summer. We'd have to change all the radiators to allow for the lower temperatures and put more insulation in the attic, whole thing added up to the guts of 20 grand (minus 3.5k govt grant). We're willing to spend money to Save The Planet, but that's an awful lot, and as far as I can tell our heating bills would only be reduced by around a third ... then I looked up the carbon emissions per kW/h for pellets versus heat pump - could only find numbers for the UK electricity grid, but for there at least wood pellets emit *less* carbon (and then there's also the environmental cost of the manufacture of the heatpump instead)

Long story short - got some new parts for the pellet boiler, gonna try and get another 15 years out of it

I'm kinda somewhere like here at the minute. My concern is kinda around the + and - side of temperature. Like if we are looking at 30 days of 29-30 degree heat in a row in a few years then active cooling might be something that is needed, sorta pushes me toward aircon type setups.

I suspect 1 solar panel would cover 90% of our electric here. Unless i'm in a DIY montage we are running a fridge and PC about 20 hours of the day.

I kinda wonder about the re-fit / upgrade side of things in terms of their own consumption and it is bit of a sales pitch that green tech re-fits, while fucking a load of working stuff on a skip is not just a bit of a perfomative...

Question on drinks cans with the plastic sheeting. You need to take that plastic off before putting them in the recycling right?

Oh, even the stuck on ones like that? I was hoping they would be okay as the paper would disintegrate or something.

I was more thinking like the ones you get on Trouble Brewing's Ambush. At least they snip off easy.

Mrs. egg_'s day job is (mostly) running Citizen Science projects that monitor bat populations ... her and a colleague got a call from Malcolm Noonan (Green minister of state for heritage), he wants to meet up to talk about wildlife conservation, and, it turns out, has volunteered on some of their projects in the past. Mad wha?

Oh I missed this. Water-based I believe. Honestly, it's good to hear that this is a problem that has mostly been overcome. I was reading a thing recently saying that Ireland is better posed for solar energy than many believe, our heavy rainfall means the panels stay clean, which is a major issue with solar panels in very hot places with lots of sun but little rain.

Been following this series for a while on youtube.

They go under the tag of i guess not really saying its about being off grid, just low consumption etc.
I always wondered mostly how they are affording all this shit, and it seems the same guy was the guy behind phoneblocks which probably answers that question.
Didn't phoneblocks amount to diddley squat after a few flashy videos?

Oh I missed this. Water-based I believe. Honestly, it's good to hear that this is a problem that has mostly been overcome. I was reading a thing recently saying that Ireland is better posed for solar energy than many believe, our heavy rainfall means the panels stay clean, which is a major issue with solar panels in very hot places with lots of sun but little rain.

Didn't phoneblocks amount to diddley squat after a few flashy videos?

Yeah

he did a video about it.

BAsically did the video as project, concept type thing.
Went global with interest.
Google bought the idea
Google smothered the idea
kinda the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back