Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (3 Viewers)

I think their food choices chart is a bit out of date. Here's a good more recent video. By simply not eating beef or red you're doing pretty well. Coffee and chocolate are pretty bad though, probably worse than dairy:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i'd be curious as to how much difference the the different methods of raising cattle make, if comparing the US figures (which i assume they're using) to europe or ireland.

Ann posts life of listening to megatractors shake the house for silage season would think that they are comparable to a point.

Murica cows i think eat corn byproducts and fart all day, eurocows eat grass and fart a bit less, intense yeild dairy has reached the brits, not sure about the irelands.

Don't know to be honest but dairy has a way smaller footprint than cattle reared for consumption as beef.

My folks had their first big post lockdown excursion at the weekend, visiting her cousin and his wife, they raise beef cattle. They're niche, raising some sort of specialty breed of bulls so seem ok but my father and himself had a chat about the business.

"Beef prices are awful for most farmers, barely making a living from it."

"Why keep doing it so?"

"You've got to do something."

I'm no farming expert but raising cattle seems to require decent enough land, you can raise sheep or goats in much harsher environments. People could probably get out of beef and grow things. In the last 10 or so years around me I've seen more and more fields given over to rapeseed, I assume they were used for cattle prior to that.

... which suggests that this shit is highly dependent on farming practices and location
True but also if you keep killing the cattle you own you will need a lot of them. That's where all the talk about the size of the national herd comes from. The more you have the more emissions and land usage, obviously

Awkward truth that in paralel to full time farming there is a % of farming in ireland that is a side game for people who work in offices and have control of the parents/grandparents farm. Some years they make killing, some years maybe just a grand. Keeps things ticking over, fun money when it works out. thats why sticks dwellers are seeing these roaming teams of megatractors - contractors that are doing the machine work for multiple farms because its not worth JJ'O'Officeyjobs while owning the stuff any more. tool sharing isn't the worst, until you factor that having a whole other full time job is part of the food economy, then its terrifying.

I have this information on anecdote from a man who grew up in a family if 9 in the midlands and went full office.

Farming in the US is done on a mega scale by about 100 people/families/companies isn't it? My understanding is that Ireland is the same, there's the six odd megafarms like Keelings who can get in cheap workers from abroad, treat them like shit and then say "Irish people just aren't up to hard work anymore, SMH at the snowflakes" when called on their shitty practices, and everyone else is on EU subsidies.

Until we start integrating everyone back into communities there's no reason it should change from that. Right now, at best small farms are very "boutique" and only for people with a bit of spare cash, usually from their other job, which is very nice but it's not scalable to the whole country.

My ideal world is probably something akin to this, where there's more work involved for everyone but people get something from it - we don't necessarily have to go full trad and give up modern technology to live it either:

Putting pigs in the shade: the radical farming system banking on trees | John Vidal

still a far way off from it though.

Farming in the US is done on a mega scale by about 100 people isn't it? My understanding is that Ireland is the same, there's the six odd megafarms like Keelings who can get in cheap workers from abroad, treat them like shit and then say "Irish people just aren't up to hard work anymore, SMH at the snowflakes" when called on their shitty practices, and everyone else is on EU subsidies.

USA has prison labour in the meat industry too. Cops mopping up young lads in the midwest.

They always find a way of being worse.
here's the worst mcdonalds gif I could find.
giphy.gif

speaking of cheese, i bought a pack of charleville cheddar and just noticed on the pack that it's made in NI. that's a bit of a distance from cork.

I think their food choices chart is a bit out of date. Here's a good more recent video. By simply not eating beef or red you're doing pretty well. Coffee and chocolate are pretty bad though, probably worse than dairy:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Options.

They only become choices when you choose them.

i wonder what'd happen if you tried roasting seeds from native irish plants in the same way you do with coffee. i assume someone would have tested/done this by now, and we'd know if it produced something that wasn't poisonous?

i wonder what'd happen if you tried roasting seeds from native irish plants in the same way you do with coffee. i assume someone would have tested/done this by now, and we'd know if it produced something that wasn't poisonous?
Could you grow coffee in a greenhouse/polytunnel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back