Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (2 Viewers)

Kinda related.

*Megacorp soft drinks company sent their PR people out in Ireland to organise beach clean things with twitter hashtags, I told them i'd cover it if they talked about how much plastic they were producing.

They didn't do the piece.

A few outlets took that bait on that one.

*you can guess which one I mean, i just don't want their bots sniffing about.

Found in my bookmarks.

“Everyone wants community. Unfortunately, it involves other people.” I used that line in lectures on frugal living when talking of the loneliness of consumerism and the benefits of sharing resources. We idealize the good old days of people helping people out. But can we live them, given who we have become?

I understand the news cycle is insane but earlier today I was doing a regular enough call to EU and heard that M. Walshe MEP (the one who remembers the 90s) voted against party lines to go against fracking.

FG might just hope this one goes under the radar but the wider europarty that they are in might tell her gtfo. (jazz hands) dRAmA!

Lad up in Canada was a sled dog trainer for his life, he's been at it forever.

This year there was so little snow out by him he couldn't train his dogs. There's this big race that they run every yeah, he'd not even bothering to show up this year. He's pretty bummed about the whole deal.

What's your take on Sitka spruce egg? I see some people on the internets defending its use in Ireland.

What's your take on Sitka spruce egg? I see some people on the internets defending its use in Ireland.
Oh, forgot to answer this until now ... my father-in-law used to always argue that it's just a crop - sure it's not good for biodiversity, but no monoculture crop is. That's pretty much true, but in practice plantations are very often in areas that'd otherwise be wild (or as wild as we get in Ireland) and that might be quite sensitive ecologially, and they're often clear-felled when mature which is really destructive. So I guess I've nothing against sitka spruce grown for wood in the general sense, but historically the way we've gone about it in Ireland has been poor from an environmental point of view. Forestry policy has been changing to try and improve things, but for a variety of reasons (past investment in sitka, farmers are conservative, trees grow slowly) change comes pretty slow

must dig out my copy of rackham's 'woodlands' again, but in it, he questions the profitability of growing cash crops like spruce - it's hard to actually work out how profitable it actually is, as a crop it takes many, many multiples of time to reach harvest than any other crop does, and the vagaries of inflation and the like make it hard to track how economically beneficial it actually is.

my biggest problem with reducing my GHG footprint is cheese.
have given up on red meat, but red meat makes cheese. this is an issue.

on the other hand, siberia has recorded average temps since the start of the year 5C above normal, fuck cheese, but let me stockpile it first. halloumi keeps for ages, at least.

my biggest problem with reducing my GHG footprint is cheese.
have given up on red meat, but red meat makes cheese. this is an issue.

on the other hand, siberia has recorded average temps since the start of the year 5C above normal, fuck cheese, but let me stockpile it first. halloumi keeps for ages, at least.
fellow cheese fiend over here. currently on a diet so have cut out cheese but it's fucking hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back