cleaners = horses (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Cleaners for festival 'had to sleep in stables'"

Cleaners for festival 'had to sleep in stables'

Esther Addley
Saturday July 12, 2008
The Guardian

It may not have promised glamour, but for a group of Portuguese and Polish cleaners, mostly from London, it at least offered 12 days' work at the Irish equivalent of Glastonbury, with all expenses covered.
But when the 52 workers arrived on Tuesday at Punchestown racecourse, site of the O***** festival, they were met with a surprise. Instead of the hotel they had been promised by contract cleaners Cleanevent, they were told they would be sleeping on the concrete floor of the stables.

The block had breeze-block walls, no windows or flooring, and, some of the workers claimed, only enough campbeds for a third of them. A spokesman for the contractors, which also supplies Wimbledon and Wembley Stadium, said it was investigating the claims.

Only after one worker called the police did the organisers promise to buy inflatable mattresses, placed in a kitchen metres away from the dressing rooms of artists such as REM, the Verve and Amy Winehouse, all of whom play tonight.

Sonia Mendes, one of the workers, said: "For me, no way. It would have been shameful for me to stay." She and two others insisted on being bussed back to London the following day.

David Hanley, a spokesman for Cleanevent, said it was looking into the reports.

The event's promoter, M**, said it "worked with contractors in advance to ensure all staff requirements are fully met." Each contractor was responsible for its own staff welfare, it said.

http://music.guardian.co.uk/festivals/story/0,,2290581,00.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back