Christmas Dinner (1 Viewer)

ook said:
Was in Cornucopia for some dinner Sunday escaping the hordes in town after foolishingly deciding to do some xmas shopping.

They are offering a take away xmas dinner thing.

You order before the 21st and you can collect a frozen cornucopia meal with a seasonal touch up to the 23rd, take it home and microwave it while everyone else tucks into turkey.
That sounds really, really depressing.

Zita said:
That sounds really, really depressing.

Eh, that didn't read quite how I meant it to.

I'll' be going to my folks for christmas not eating a frozen veggie meal alone.

My mum has enough to worry about cooking the turkey and ham and goose and trimmings without having to do something veggie for me, or have me under her feet cooking something for myself. So, a frozen meal from cornucopia would be alot nicer and handier then a frozen meal from the vegetarian cabinet in the local tesco.

Ok, you know what? There's way to many people on this thread talking about what their Ma's can and cannot do for Christmas dinner. Frankly folks, it's embarassing. Now grow up, take a couple of the lovely recipes that have been mentioned on this forum, and give your auld one a hand, for crying out loud.
!ninjaaaa :) !cheezy

Ignore any links in my posts folks, they don't go anywhere I'd want you to.

I agree with you, Aoife. There's a lot to be said, not just for enjoying what gets made, but in learning to make the stuff yourself so that you can carry it on. I love using recipes from my grandmother and my mother, or anyone, so you're not just lending a hand, you're learning something yourself. Someday, our mammies (and daddies) won't be able to do so much, and wouldn't it be cool if we could turn around and make the same stuff for them, as well as new stuff we've come up with?

What about when you're going to someone's house who isn't family? I know it depends on the family, but it can be awkward. I'm always happy to bring something 'extra', that doesn't interfere with someone else's tradition, but bringing too much can draw attention away from the hospitality you're getting, and you can end up insulting someone. I would never expect someone to go making a whole new main course for me when they've got enough on their hands.

I usually just choose from what's there and am happy enough, but then, sometimes, people feel bad, like I don't have enough to eat...but I'm not there just to eat, so I don't mind. I think part of the fun of eating together in someone's home is eating lots of the same food, and going "Ummm, this is yum, isn't it?" "Yeah, I'll wrestle you for the last bit", and "GAME ON, ASSHOLE!". So even if everyone else is fighting over sausages, there'll always be someone who will threaten to stab me over a pie. And that, my friends, is what Christmas dinner should be all about.

That's real sweet and sad, the thought that some day we'll be able to do stuff better than our folks.

As important as the nosh is at Christmas though, it's true, it's only one of many things that makes it a deadly buzz. Take Star Wars for example, or scrapping over whether to watch Mary Poppins or flicking between the Queens speech on two different channels,
One thinks flick one thinks flick loadsa money flick loadsa money flick family flick family flick bollocks flick bollocks flick. hee hee.

aoifed said:
One thinks flick one thinks flick loadsa money flick loadsa money flick family flick family flick bollocks flick bollocks flick. hee hee.
it goes like this at mine...

"ah maaaaaaaaaaaaaaam, jason and the argonauts IS deadly, have you ever even watched it? and you can forget east enders later, clash of the titans is on."

i get looked at like i'm some cheeky asshole that doesn't even own the TV...

"when you own your own TV, you can dictate what gets watched. until then, i'm calling the shots."

"but maaaaaaaaaaaaaam, i DO own a TV, it's just not here right now. AND i'm an adult with ideas, dreams and opinions."

"don't be bold, just do what your told."

"i fuckin' hate christmas."

cue 3 hours long omnibus of east enders in which some poor woman gets the shit beaten out of her by her husband to compound that christmassy feeling. god i hate that program so much. why do people feel the need to wallow in other people's invented misery? east enders should be benned from TV for the christmas period, simply because it propagates sadness and despair.

clash of the titans... oh man, i can't wait to see it again. "release the kraken."

present alert... hmv got this deal going, you can get one dvd and a second one for free. i picked up betty blue directors cut and life is beautiful :) deadly buzz.

heh heh. we don't have a tv. our xmases consist of hours of silence as we all read our new books. punctuated by

da: ah liadain, come for a swim, it'll be great craic.
ma: ah liadain, go for a swim. you'll feel great afterwards.
me: if you think i'm exposing my bikinied bottom to the crowds that gather on the pier watching the poor saps go for their christmas day swim, you've got another think coming.

Super Dexta said:
heh heh. we don't have a tv. our xmases consist of hours of silence as we all read our new books. punctuated by

da: ah liadain, come for a swim, it'll be great craic.
ma: ah liadain, go for a swim. you'll feel great afterwards.
me: if you think i'm exposing my bikinied bottom to the crowds that gather on the pier watching the poor saps go for their christmas day swim, you've got another think coming.
I'd LOVE to go for a Christmas day splash in the sea. Splash splash splash, sniffle sniffle yelp, whimper whimper whimper, splash splash splash...

Zita said:
I'd LOVE to go for a Christmas day splash in the sea. Splash splash splash, sniffle sniffle yelp, whimper whimper whimper, splash splash splash...
it's a tradition down in dingle. well, we did it last year and we're going to do it again this year. 'we' being me and me housemates who'll also happen to be down there at the time. the sensation that you're balls have turned to ice and could smash at any moment is something every girls should experience.

hag said:
clash of the titans... oh man, i can't wait to see it again. "release the kraken."
You said it!
kraken.jpg

I hope it doesn't ruin your Christmas Day swim!

oh god, not this again. not that kraken, this one...

Clash11.jpg

and then there's my main man, bobo the owl...

bubo.gif

awesome stroy teller. and then there's the head of the statue of athena... which totally freaks everyone out. typical woman...

cot_048Thetis.jpg

and then there's this hottie... i totally have wet dreams about this girl all the time...

Medusa09.jpg

what a kick-ass movie.

Gong Farmer said:
You said it!
kraken.jpg

I hope it doesn't ruin your Christmas Day swim!

Which one has all the skeletings fighting in it? Was that Sinbad?

Clash of the Titans is indeed an amazing feature.

Gong Farmer said:
Which one has all the skeletings fighting in it? Was that Sinbad?

Clash of the Titans is indeed an amazing feature.

That would be Jason and the Argonauts. http://imdb.com/title/tt0057197/combined

Which reminds me...when I was a wee nipper, I used to have dreams of those same skeletons coming into my room at night wanting to chop me hands off.

If I was american, I would probably now be telling everyone how the little grey men came and did medical experiments on me.

Or some other such rot.

Anyway, here ye go:

jsnarg3.jpg

there's a skelingbone fight in the titans too. but the coolest fight is between perseus and the giant scorpions which the blood from medusa's head gave life to.

I hope that when I die my bones will rise to fight sword fights with sweaty Americans pretending to be Greeks.

hag said:
there's a skelingbone fight in the titans too. but the coolest fight is between perseus and the giant scorpions which the blood from medusa's head gave life to.
man I love that shit! her blood always terrified me. I too would like my bones to rise and battle pseudo-greeks. I wonder can you donate your bones to such a cause....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back