Choosing and buy a guitar for a young lad (1 Viewer)

Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
My nephew is getting an acoustic guitar for his birthday/christmas, he'll be 13. The sister asked me my advice on what might be good and what sort of things to look out for but the only acoustic guitar I've ever had was given to me for my birthday in 1990 and I still have it so I've never gone shopping for one before. I'm not really in to the guitars for their own sake, i just like bashing away at them.

I'm not entirely sure what the budget is, maybe €250ish. His main concern is that it should be a red guitar and i suspect it will be hard to get him to compromise on this but I'll try. Red guitars look shit. I don't particularly trust myself to spot proper action and intonation and tone and shit like that in a shop but i suppose the shops will have to be visited and guitars tried out. The sister reckons some shop in drogheda is worth a visit.

Can anyone make any helpful suggestions?

Thanks

Aww man...tell him to get a fucking electric,one of the ones that comes with an amp and a lead and plec..teach him the riff to Babylons Burning and watch him go!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Or failing that some other awesome tune you can play on one string..there must be one he loves.

i'm not sure of the price at present, i've had a crafter 550ex for about 9 years now. It is red, very playable in terms of action etc. also the small (1/2 plastic round back) body suits smaller people very well. I've a two friends who have the same and they are consistent in build. A big hurdle for kids learning guitar is big stupid dreadnoughts giving them subtle spine injuries. I buy 3-4 guitars for people between 7 and 15 a year at this stage. might be over budget, but then you might find a non semi-electric of the exact same build within budget.

tn2_801400.jpg

I'd look at Cort and Tanglewood too for that kinda budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back