Choice Music Prize - Irish Album of the Year 2015 (1 Viewer)

Choice Music Prize 2015 - And the winner is...

• Girl Band - Holding Hands with Jamie (Rough Trade)

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • HamsandwicH - Stories From The Surface (Route 109A Records)

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Gavin James - Bitter Pill (Warner Music Ireland)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jape - This Chemical Sea (Faction Records)

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Le Galaxie - Le Club (Universal Music Ireland)

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Colm Mac Con Iomaire - And Now The Weather (Plateau)

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Roisin Murphy – Hairless Toys (PIAS)

• Soak – Before We Forgot How To Dream (Rough Trade)

• Villagers – Darling Arithmetic (Domino)

• Young Wonder – Birth (Feel Good Lost)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
this (or last) year's shortlist

his year is:

Girl Band for Holding Hands with Jamie (Rough Trade);

HamsandwicH for Stories from the Surface (Route 109A Records);

Gavin James for Bitter Pill (Warner Music Ireland);

Jape for This Chemical Sea (Faction Records);

Le Galaxie for Le Club (Universal Music Ireland);

Colm Mac Con Iomaire for And Now The Weather (Plateau);

Róisín Murphy for Hairless Toys (PIAS);

Soak for Before We Forgot How To Dream (Rough Trade);

Villagers for Darling Arithmetic (Domino);

Young Wonder for Birth (Feel Good Lost).

not sure if this is the 2015 or 2016 shortlist. Its hardly 2016 since none of them were released this year (no shit).

I love the broad range of genres represented yet again. Clearly a ploy by the judges to stop people giving out because theres no way anyone ever has heard all of those 10 albums.

Jape album is great. Can't get my head around the Girl Band on. I hope Soak wins.

Choice Music Prize - Irish Album of the Year 2015 Shortlist Announced

Dublin, 6th January:

The Choice Music Prize shortlist for Irish Album of the Year2015, in association with IMRO and IRMA, was announced this afternoon.

The overall winning Album of the Year will be selected by the judging panel at the Choice MusicPrizeLive Event at Vicar St, Dublin on Thursday March 3rd. The Live Event will be broadcast live on Today FM in a special four hour extended programme during the Paul McLoone show.

The 11th annual Choice Music Prize will once again celebrate, acknowledge & promote the best in Irish recorded music. The prize has become one of the highlights of the Irish musical calendar since its inception in 2005 and is awarded to the Irish Album of the Year, as chosen from a shortlist of ten releases by a panel of twelve Irish music media professionals and industry experts

The shortlist is as follows (artists listed in alphabetical order):

Girl Band - Holding Hands with Jamie (Rough Trade)

HamsandwicH - Stories From The Surface (Route 109A Records)

Gavin James - Bitter Pill (Warner Music Ireland)

Jape - This Chemical Sea (Faction Records)

Le Galaxie - Le Club (Universal Music Ireland)

Colm Mac Con Iomaire - And Now The Weather (Plateau)

Roisin MurphyHairless Toys (PIAS)

SoakBefore We Forgot How To Dream (Rough Trade)

VillagersDarling Arithmetic (Domino)

Young WonderBirth (Feel Good Lost)

Tickets for the Choice Music Prize live event are on sale now from all Ticketmaster outlets and from http://www.ticketmaster.iepriced €25.50 including booking fee.

The winning act will receive €10,000, a prize fund which has been provided by the Irish Music Rights Organisation (IMRO) and the Irish Recorded Music Association (IRMA). All of the shortlisted acts will receive a specially-commissioned award, courtesy of IMRO and IRMA. Culture Ireland will fund the attendance of key overseas delegates at the event while RAAP and Music Week are also official project partners. HMV are the official Retail Partners of the Choice Music Prize.

“IMRO is delighted to once again sponsor this year’s Choice Music Prize – the prestigious award for Ireland’s best music releases in 2015. The Choice Prize provides a great opportunity for new Irish writers and performers to showcase their creativity to such a wide audience and winning such an award provides real career impetus both within and outside of Ireland”

Victor Finn, IMRO Chief Executive.

Willie Kavanagh Chairman of IRMA said: "IRMA is delighted to continue to support the Meteor Choice Music Prize in highlighting the breadth and quality of Irish musicians and artists who make this country such a rich and eclectic source of contemporary talent."

The Shortlist for The Choice Music Prize – Irish Song of the Year 2015 will be announced on Wednesday January 27th. A Special event featuring exclusive performances from both Album of the Year and Song of The Year nominees will be held at The Workman’s Club, Dublin on January 27th.

The Choice Music Prize in Association with IMRO & IRMA. Project Partners are: Today FM, RAAP, HMV, Culture Ireland and Music Week.

The Choice Music Prize 2015 judging panel is:

Emily Brown – Spin Southwest

Roddy Cleere – KCLR

Tom Dunne – Newstalk

Sinead Gleeson – Irish Times

Joe Harrington – Joe.ie

James Hendicott – Golden Plec

Edwin McFee – Hotpress

Louise McSharry2FM

Sinead Ni Mhordha – Radio Nova

Ed Smith – Today FM

Phil Taggart – BBC Radio 1

Mike Walsh – Radio X

Robbed again (didn't even make the long list, 3rd time #notcounting)

I was actually on national radio, press, gigs, festivals etc. Confounding.

Girl band are just wonderful live.

Sinead Gleeson is great. Book lover.
still haven't forgiven her for her obnoxious "here are all the coolest bands I just casually saw as a teenager, never went to a single embarrassing gig" piece she wrote for Where's Grandad or when we saw her coming into Throwing Muses AFTER the show to meet her mate Kristin Hersh rather than because she's a fan of music. I'm with Scutter here, her musical opinions are suspect.

still haven't forgiven her for her obnoxious "here are all the coolest bands I just casually saw as a teenager, never went to a single embarrassing gig" piece she wrote for Where's Grandad or when we saw her coming into Throwing Muses AFTER the show to meet her mate Kristin Hersh rather than because she's a fan of music. I'm with Scutter here, her musical opinions are suspect.

ha ha, harsh, but probably accurate.

don't want to be singling her out cos she seems sound. I follow her on twitter and she hardly tweets about music at all. As Jim said, books are her thing.

Maybe we should go through the judges one-by-one and slate them

Tom Dunne doesn't listen to music thats less than 20 years old, from what I can tell.

ha ha, harsh, but probably accurate.

don't want to be singling her out cos she seems sound. I follow her on twitter and she hardly tweets about music at all. As Jim said, books are her thing.

Maybe we should go through the judges one-by-one and slate them

Tom Dunne doesn't listen to music thats less than 20 years old, from what I can tell.

She's the only one i've heard of on the panel! Yeah she's good people although I had to unfollow her on twitter because she was a devil for the auld pretend retweets "RT: entire tweet with no changes" which should be punishable by hanging.

I think that's all my complaints about her out in the open now though. Eh... carry on

Sinead G is sound. She used to music writing, but she copped on. although you're right to question her inclusion on the judging panel, seeing as it's not her thing nowadays. But then, wouldn't it be better for all if they just let some drunk cunt fuck a dart at a list of records and let that be the winner? It would seem to be a more logical and satisfying exercise.

Emily Brown – Spin Southwest

never heard of her. Shitty radio station that plays crap

Roddy Cleere – KCLR
Haven't heard of him even though I do listen to that radio station anytime I'm in Kilkenny (which is quite a lot). I usually only listen to it for the death notices at 1pm on a sunday, and to see what chemists are open.

KCLR wouldn't be known for its cutting edge approach to new music.

Tom Dunne – Newstalk
a dinosaur. If he was on the judging panel in 2003 then that would be something. Not now though.

Sinead Gleeson – Irish Times
already discussed

Joe Harrington – Joe.ie
don't know who he is, but joe.ie and everyone associated with it can fuck off.

James Hendicott – Golden Plec
Would be familiar with some of the Goldenplen people but not him. They seem decent, and their site seems well-intentioned, but they do talk an awful amount of shite sometimes. And their reviews of albums and gigs are worse than awful sometimes.

Edwin McFee – Hotpress

the obligatory Hotpress nominee. Don't know him. No opinion either way.

Louise McSharry2FM

She seems great. Her radio show is shite. And she plays the worst plastic pop chart shite going. That appeals to her target demographic. Anything related to the Choice award does not, so I don't get why she was picked as a judge.

Sinead Ni Mhordha – Radio Nova

She used to do something on 98fm years ago. The name sounds familiar. Radio Nova is pretty much a 'classic rock' station. I haven't heard her show (if she has one) so its hard to comment on her credentials.

Ed Smith – Today FM

no idea.

Phil Taggart – BBC Radio 1

oh, lets add someone from BBC to make ourselves look great.

why Radio 1 though? Why not Tom Ravenscroft? (though hes publically called out the Girl Band album as his favorite from 2015).

Mike Walsh – Radio X

What the fuck is Radio X?

I've been a fan of Sinead Ni Mhordha every since this pic.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ah here leave Sinéad alone - she's sound.

Also I was at that Consolidated gig in London and it was great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back