china repair question (1 Viewer)

xsteox

Supporter
There's a small crack developing on china cymbal. it's going round the diameter, not straight up twards the center. If I solder the back park, would this effect the sound much?

ta.

A mate of mine used emm, well Epoxy Resin, the brand was Rapid Araldite (I think), but basically its Epoxy Resin.
You buy it as two tubes, mix it, patch the cracks, and then sand away the excess. It smells a bit nasty. Have a couple of big match sticks ready to mix it and apply it.

He seemed to be happy with it.

Soldering isnt really going to work since cymbals are mainly bronze (right?) and soldering wont give you high enough temps to melt bronze. And even if it did, it would fuck up the nature of the cymbal.

Cold welding would be your man I think.

There's a small crack developing on china cymbal. it's going round the diameter, not straight up twards the center. If I solder the back park, would this effect the sound much?

ta.

how long ago did you buy it? that kind of crack often indicates a factory flaw.

Angle grinder?

What Dunchee said. Most name brands have a 1 year warrantee.

Makes sense, the cymbal in my case is about 15/20 years old(paiste 400). Think we're gonna give it to someone who's starting out so I thought I might do what you suggested first.

The only way to stop cracks is to cut them out.

Use a hack saw and buy a fine metal file. The hack saw will leave rough edges and you want to smooth them out with the file as much as possible. When you cut out the crack try to make an arc or semi circle with its centre line where the edge of the cymbal used to be(will kind of look like someone's taken a bite out of your cymbal)

You have to make sure the curve is of a constant radius and that there are no sharp edges left on the cymbal. Also you are best cutting slightly past the end of the crack as there may be microscopic cracks that you can't see with the eye.

Finally, even this method is not going to guarantee the crack is going to stop. It may appear again or start on an entirely different part of the cymbal. With an old cymbal that has been hit many times it gets work hardened. Think of it like a ring pull on a can that has been bent back and forth too many times and has become brittle.

I dunno, the cold weld seemed to work pretty well.
Stopped the crack, and didnt change the cymbal. And if it doesnt work, you can always cut it.

Thanks for the advice.
Cutting it would reduce the size and sound quite a lot, I would think, it's only a small 16" cymbal, dont want to involuntarily destroy it.

how long ago did you buy it? that kind of crack often indicates a factory flaw.

its maybe three years old,there abouts. but only use it now and again, not being used on a weekly basis in practise.

I remember a lot of people drilling holes at the end of cracks years ago. I've not seen it done in a long time now though. The most successful method i've seen has been the cutting out the crack as mentioned above. Sure the cymbal gets smaller and the sound changes but it's cracked anyway so may as well just make the most of it while you can.

If you are going to give it a shot, key up the surface before you use the epoxy resin. Get some really fine sand/glass paper, and make sure that all the lacquer is off the metal, and its totally clean, when you mix up the two tubes (you only need a drop of each) do it in a big room or somewhere with ventilation. Its pretty nasty smelling. I think it might be bad for you.

Its stringy and awkward to use, put it on, it doesnt matter if its a bit globby, you can get a backed razor and cut it after about 30 mins, and then you can sand it back.
You want to leave as little as possible on the actual cymbal in the end, since it will affect sound a bit if there is a load still on it. The stuff is ridiculously strong, you can take almost all of it off. If you take too much you can just do it again anyway.

Its great stuff.

If you go this route, post results. Curious, so. Never heard of doing anything like this.

Did this, and it largely worked. the that resin is holding it all together. big test will be the weekend, when i try the cymbal out in practise.

Did this, and it largely worked. the that resin is holding it all together. big test will be the weekend, when i try the cymbal out in practise.

If it doesnt work out you can buy my china. Im gona sell it a i havent used it in 2 or 3 years.

Zildjian Avedis 20" china boy high.

il post a proper add later with pics etc. I want to upgrade my hihats so im getting rid of a bit of clutter.

If it doesnt work out you can buy my china. Im gona sell it a i havent used it in 2 or 3 years.

Zildjian Avedis 20" china boy high.

il post a proper add later with pics etc. I want to upgrade my hihats so im getting rid of a bit of clutter.
I may be interested in it. Can always do with a second 20" China. Big old China Hats like.
Have been thinking about drilling my china with a few rivets for many years now. Think its had its fair share of heavy bashing. It may need a rest and revert to hanging bell-side up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back