Celebrity Creeps Thread (16 Viewers)

is it a surprise that that sort of sport would attract assholes more readily than other sports?

I've kinda become diplomatic enough about it - i'm not out to defend mcgregor because it's just one thing after another with him and none of it good - but in life most people discover they are good or reasonably competent at something and it gets them through - boxers and mma people and kickboxers all find out they are good at something, but it's not very nice. At a certain point it stops being about being a bit lump of fast limbs and more can you compose yourself doing something that most people might do unwillingly maybe once in their life. It's some mad balancing act of mental and physical strength and it makes sense that trying to act normal in real life after a few major high profile bouts escapes a lot of them.

Assholes? in this case, yes for sure, but in other ways its people born with a set of abilities and mental setup thats gonna land them in conflict or set them on a course for being some kinda black sheep and there are 1000 mid level boxers out there who are just people who walked into a club and asked someone to give them a set of rules and bit of guidance.

Could say the same about music.
Could say the same about movie stars.
Could say the same about millonaires.

Disclaimer - I quite like boxing.

Allegedly the lighter gloves mean you can't throw digs into the head as hard, and in general result in less concussion inducing blows.

Also... allegedly... the real damage starts when you get small bleeds on top of not fully healed concussions. Sports like NFL or Ice hockey would be very bad in this respect, because they get small concussions frequently and can't really rest between outings. A regular boxer would get more blows to the head than a MMA type too I'd thing.
This is kind of half true. In that you probably can’t hit a head as hard with your fist versus a boxing glove which protects your hand from shattering.

The real damage, so to speak, is just repeated blow to the head. There is no real definition of a concussion, we only know that some people will get hit in the head and look concussed and other people will get a similar hit in the head and not look concussed. From a brain injury perspective, they largely look the same.

Bleeds are obviously bad and a concussion likely has a lot of micro bleeds associated with it but head injuries can be spaced apart and still result in CTE (but it is far more common from repetitive head injuries like you see in most contact sports). But there is a lot more going on, a lot of it dependent on the physics of your brain (it’s essentially like a jelly in how it wobbles), how it’s secured within your skull, how its wired up, your cardio health, your genetics, and seemingly random chance.

What I will say is that any of the theories out there as to what a concussion is, are at best suggestive and don’t explain enough of the cases to be taken as more than a risk factor in my opinion. It’s not that we’re even talk about edge cases.

And for those playing at home, jockeys have the worst outcomes out of all sporting professions. Now, that was in a study funded by the NFL so I hope you have a pinch of salt handy… The research out there is deeply flawed or corrupt in places, and navigating that is hard even for those in the field.

It will be interesting to see how the story changes as more European research groups look at CTE with soccer becoming a real talking point in terms of concussions and brain health.

I've kinda become diplomatic enough about it - i'm not out to defend mcgregor because it's just one thing after another with him and none of it good - but in life most people discover they are good or reasonably competent at something and it gets them through - boxers and mma people and kickboxers all find out they are good at something, but it's not very nice. At a certain point it stops being about being a bit lump of fast limbs and more can you compose yourself doing something that most people might do unwillingly maybe once in their life. It's some mad balancing act of mental and physical strength and it makes sense that trying to act normal in real life after a few major high profile bouts escapes a lot of them.

Assholes? in this case, yes for sure, but in other ways its people born with a set of abilities and mental setup thats gonna land them in conflict or set them on a course for being some kinda black sheep and there are 1000 mid level boxers out there who are just people who walked into a club and asked someone to give them a set of rules and bit of guidance.

i've just never liked boxing since des lynam mentioned barry mcguigan being british before that sweltering fight in vegas, and as irish when he'd lost.

This is kind of half true. In that you probably can’t hit a head as hard with your fist versus a boxing glove which protects your hand from shattering.

The real damage, so to speak, is just repeated blow to the head. There is no real definition of a concussion, we only know that some people will get hit in the head and look concussed and other people will get a similar hit in the head and not look concussed. From a brain injury perspective, they largely look the same.

Bleeds are obviously bad and a concussion likely has a lot of micro bleeds associated with it but head injuries can be spaced apart and still result in CTE (but it is far more common from repetitive head injuries like you see in most contact sports). But there is a lot more going on, a lot of it dependent on the physics of your brain (it’s essentially like a jelly in how it wobbles), how it’s secured within your skull, how its wired up, your cardio health, your genetics, and seemingly random chance.

What I will say is that any of the theories out there as to what a concussion is, are at best suggestive and don’t explain enough of the cases to be taken as more than a risk factor in my opinion. It’s not that we’re even talk about edge cases.

And for those playing at home, jockeys have the worst outcomes out of all sporting professions. Now, that was in a study funded by the NFL so I hope you have a pinch of salt handy… The research out there is deeply flawed or corrupt in places, and navigating that is hard even for those in the field.

It will be interesting to see how the story changes as more European research groups look at CTE with soccer becoming a real talking point in terms of concussions and brain health.
Oh right. I think I was using the term concussion / bleed more or less synonymously.

Like, I'd assumed that:

if you get a blow to the head, your brain will bounce about a bit. If you get enough of a blow it will rupture capillaries, resulting in a bleed.

Depending on the amount of rupture, and maybe location, you might be able to observe this outwardly as "concussion". But a concussion always implies there was blow heavy enough to induce a bleed of some type. A single bleed is probably ~fine, and like you were saying bleeds upon bleeds lead to potentially long term trouble. There's some necrotic crap that needs to get flushed away between bleeds, and if it doesn't it leads to some class of plaque formation. Given enough of this kind of messing you'll end up with CTE.

That's mad though. I'd never have pegged jockeys as the most at risk here. I'd have put Rugby, or soccer. Jockeys would hit their heads I suppose, but they'd hardly be coming off horses every other week surely?

Basically everything I know about this I think results from... like, one paper that was on an Ice Hockey lad whose brain was just in ribbons upon death.

Oh right. I think I was using the term concussion / bleed more or less synonymously.

Like, I'd assumed that:

if you get a blow to the head, your brain will bounce about a bit. If you get enough of a blow it will rupture capillaries, resulting in a bleed.

Depending on the amount of rupture, and maybe location, you might be able to observe this outwardly as "concussion". But a concussion always implies there was blow heavy enough to induce a bleed of some type. A single bleed is probably ~fine, and like you were saying bleeds upon bleeds lead to potentially long term trouble. There's some necrotic crap that needs to get flushed away between bleeds, and if it doesn't it leads to some class of plaque formation. Given enough of this kind of messing you'll end up with CTE.

That's mad though. I'd never have pegged jockeys as the most at risk here. I'd have put Rugby, or soccer. Jockeys would hit their heads I suppose, but they'd hardly be coming off horses every other week surely?

Basically everything I know about this I think results from... like, one paper that was on an Ice Hockey lad whose brain was just in ribbons upon death.
Bleeds aren’t even necessary for a concussion, if you’re seeing changes in behaviour and cognition it only means the brain isn’t working as it’s supposed to. A bleed can be there and even very small bleeds can be picked up on a scan but there is damage to the nerve fibres which is probably more likely to be causative that is invisible. Particularly the corpus callosum, the white matter that connects the halves of the brain. This is a stress point that the brain wobbles around and the fibres can be stretched leading to inflammation. Like anywhere else, recurrent inflammation is bad news.

Boxing's a fantastic sport
Its elemental to who we are as humans, even if we've evolved out of actual fighting for the most part
And it's a great route for some kids who don't have another path in life

Boxing's a fantastic sport
Its elemental to who we are as humans, even if we've evolved out of actual fighting for the most part
And it's a great route for some kids who don't have another path in life

Here's something horrific about watching two grown men battering the life out of each other.

Team boxing here.Unlike Mma boxing training breeds a lot of aggression out of people,usually trainers make a point of humbling anyone throwing their weight around.Any young lad with a bit of training would be far less likely to be going around throwing digs at people unprovoked.
Throwing punches is only a small part of it,the far more useful skill in boxing is how to keep your distance and avoid getting hit.

Have the utmost respect for any "combat athlete" as a sportsperson* because it's a tough game and a potentially really dangerous way to go about making your living.

I just don't want to watch them do it at all. It's not necessarily that I don't enjoy the fighting, but of all the potential entertainments it's one that makes me feel a bit dirty due to the risks etc.

* Juicers excepted, I have a special contemptuous place in my heart for any fighter who goes into a ring or cage roided up.

Have the utmost respect for any "combat athlete" as a sportsperson* because it's a tough game and a potentially really dangerous way to go about making your living.

I just don't want to watch them do it at all. It's not necessarily that I don't enjoy the fighting, but of all the potential entertainments it's one that makes me feel a bit dirty due to the risks etc.

* Juicers excepted, I have a special contemptuous place in my heart for any fighter who goes into a ring or cage roided up.
Aren't we being a little unfair to those affected by piles? We may laugh but it's a painful affliction.

But it's not about violence, not when it's done right. That's the point.

Of course, it's often done wrong, and marketed and portrayed in an ugly violent way. I know very few people are watching combat sports in the way you might watch a game of chess, but that's what it is supposed to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

• chris d
  • dudley
  • M
  • Unicron
  • shitepipe
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back