Celebrity Creeps Thread (2 Viewers)

Related unrelated - I read an article recently re gang rape in war - essentially the premise was that unlike rape in ‘normal’ circumstances that the people who engage in it are to all extents psychologically ‘normal’ - and that it’s pretty much driven by group dynamics (my summarising). More likely to happen when morale is low and discipline is lax
The 'people' who engage in it? Do women do it?

Sounds like psychologically normal men are pretty fucked up then

I think the point of the article was that it’s a different motivation
Not my theory, and not posted to justify anything
Here’s the article in question -https://www.huffpost.com/entry/russia-rape-weapon-of-war-ukraine_n_62617db5e4b0e900dcd34011

Last edited:
random uneducated musings - 'normal' men who have been sent to war are not in a 'normal' situation, normal rules have ceased to apply and they're being expected to/compelled to do things which are pretty much outside the pale for normal behaviour. would you expect men who have been given guns and have have been told to shoot people, and have been placed in a violent environment, to behave normally?

I think the point of the article was that it’s a different motivation
Not my theory, and not posted to justify anything
Here’s the article in question -https://www.huffpost.com/entry/russia-rape-weapon-of-war-ukraine_n_62617db5e4b0e900dcd34011
The research seems to be saying that it's a bit of a team-building exercise for the blokes

random uneducated musings - 'normal' men who have been sent to war are not in a 'normal' situation, normal rules have ceased to apply and they're being expected to/compelled to do things which are pretty much outside the pale for normal behaviour. would you expect men who have been given guns and have have been told to shoot people, and have been placed in a violent environment, to behave normally?
I'm pondering why the reaction of normal men to an abnormal situation is to go on a rape spree.

Well, that’s unpleasant.
Like he almost had it. He can't resist calling himself noble at the end there.

In explaining his decision to end his musical career, Kelly said: “I know now that choosing to live a public life and be onstage was the worst decision that I could have made given the way that I am. I have hidden behind the attention and unfounded respect and adulation. I used my social position to directly and indirectly manipulate all of you and to hide the abuse of my family. I got satisfaction from my deception and perceived control of everyone involved. I am 100% permanently retired from being a professional musician. Some people can be in a scene like this where there is no accountability and maintain their integrity. I cannot.”

There are a lot of people who have zero business being married or being parents; most of these people are men

adding my random uneducated musings - if you hand someone a weapon and effective send them out to kill or be killed it removes some of the basic rules of normal behavior. I guess thats why since time immemorial most armies have literally beaten their troops into an unquestioning acceptance of command, structure etc, to stop them running amok completely.
Taking a line from that article - when that sort of discipline breaks down, or when the command structure either doesn't care or is actively encouraging mass rape - this is what you get.
I think the article was less the 'normal' in that point in time, but not having obvious tendency to be rapists ('pathological' being the word used) a priori?

adding my random uneducated musings - if you hand someone a weapon and effective send them out to kill or be killed it removes some of the basic rules of normal behavior. I guess thats why since time immemorial most armies have literally beaten their troops into an unquestioning acceptance of command, structure etc, to stop them running amok completely.
Taking a line from that article - when that sort of discipline breaks down, or when the command structure either doesn't care or is actively encouraging mass rape - this is what you get.
I think the article was less the 'normal' in that point in time, but not having obvious tendency to be rapists ('pathological' being the word used) a priori?
We have a duty as men to understand what's going on here
You're dead right to question all of this

We ned to understand what women are facing and question our own behaviour - if these are psychologically normal men, then what part of that is in me? A 'normal' member of society?
Am I capable of this? Are my friends? My nephews?

I feel the war excuse only goes so far
There's countless cases of the kinds of young men who get character references doing this stuff

Look at what that girl had to endure in that car in the midlands in that case this year
Footballers - or sports team men - do this with disgusting regularity
The only commonality is that it's men

I don't understand it by any means but
Asking the questions is the right thing to do

Last edited:
He looks bad on two levels here.
He's pushing himself on these young women, when there is no clear green light it seems.
And he's a goddamn rock star that doesn't know how to get laid. I mean, Jesus. You play to 90 people in Whelan's and you could go home with someone. Dope.

Also, he's married and had to drag the wife into this to fight his corner. Can you imagine the absolute death of those conversations?
Three levels.

Pitchfork timed this for the week their tour starts.
Haha. Right in the fucking goolies.

Playing here twice this week. Some people I'm in a group chat with were going and are talking about not now, long time big fans.

Playing here twice this week. Some people I'm in a group chat with were going and are talking about not now, long time big fans.
That sounds about right

They do all that charity stuff for Haiti and Ukraine, etc

Downside for them is that their fans are likely to care more about issues like this shit the singer's done

More than say, I dunno, BTS or the Fat White Family's fans might

Downside for them is that their fans are likely to care more about issues like this shit the singer's done

More than say, I dunno, BTS or the Fat White Family's fans might

I think once you reach a critical mass of popularity, like say if you're able to play arenas or large fields in the summer, your audience probably incorporates a lot of people who aren't going to be overly concerned about this sort of thing. Or at least a fair amount of the "well yes, women should be treated better but also it's terrible what happened to Johnny Depp" type.

I'm curious what the shape of the band will take in future, if at all. I get the impression that some of them have put up with a lot of Win Butler shit over the years because the paycheque is good and they can either have a quiet comfortable life off the road or it enables them to do things they're more interested in.

His brother quit the band last year, but I got the impression that that was more to do with him not feeling like going back on the road again because of Covid than anything else, though you never know what he knew.

I have a feeling they’ll weather this out and this will be forgotten about completely by the time their next massive tour rolls around. The fact that they haven’t actually canceled tour dates or been dropped by anyone probably tells you all you need to know.

Just to make it clear, I’m not saying the above to condone or excuse his behaviour. I’m just saying that’s most likely how it’s going to play out

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back