CD collections and moving (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter IFF
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 2

IFF

Background: I moved to my own place in August. Being a chronic procrastinator, I only completed resorting my CD collection this evening.

I've been building my CD collection for about 20 years. To finish reorganising today, it was 8 hours of work. I had previously done work with other organising of it. (useless information: I started by organising into piles by letter. B, S, and F were the biggest three piles)

Anyway I'm guessing others here have bigger collections than me and my question is How do you all manage these things if you move?

How tempting is it to instead of reorganising it, to just listen to the stuff, then get nothing done?

Now onto the books :d

Did you not put them into the boxes in order so that you could just take them out exactly as they were? Last time I packed up my CDs (not that many really) was 2012 and they haven't been unpacked since.

i ripped all my cds to mp3 years ago and put them into storage boxes in the attic where they lived happily ever after. the end.

and if they're not in boxes never to be seen again they should always be in artist alphabetical order you monster

Living in a 1 bed apartment for 12 years I had to cull the physical media every now and again. Which sucked. Moved to a house 2 years ago and found cd specific furniture difficult to come by. Ended up sticking two different types of ikea things together. Now the kids have come along they have been fucking them around the living room any chance they get. So there's a blanket hanging over the CDs at the minute, but the kids have figured that defense out easily. The pricks.

Think of getting a Billy bookcase with doors on it. What do you use @IFF ?

i ripped all my cds to mp3 years ago and put them into storage boxes in the attic where they lived happily ever after. the end.

and if they're not in boxes never to be seen again they should always be in artist alphabetical order you monster
Buck Rogers over here.

Did you not put them into the boxes in order so that you could just take them out exactly as they were?

I had some alphabetisation in this and put them in boxes in order that I had previously had them but through time, as listening to stuff from it, some of it had fallen out of place. To quote fry in futurama "Time makes fools of us all."

But the alphabetisation I did and hadn't fallen out did really help.

Living in a 1 bed apartment for 12 years I had to cull the physical media every now and again. Which sucked. Moved to a house 2 years ago and found cd specific furniture difficult to come by. Ended up sticking two different types of ikea things together. Now the kids have come along they have been fucking them around the living room any chance they get. So there's a blanket hanging over the CDs at the minute, but the kids have figured that defense out easily. The pricks.

Think of getting a Billy bookcase with doors on it. What do you use @IFF ?

I actually did get 2 Billy ones for storage and between them, affixeda number of shelves got in local hardware place between them. I had bought 2 Gnedby too, specifically for cds. In my living room, I put a hemnes (so much easier if I did woodwork in school) as well as putting some shelves in the other corner (which I really like)

moving twice in 3 years will do a job on you. I had mine perfectly organised. Big freestanding shelf thing with custom additional shelves with added wood to keep the CDs from going back too far on the shelf. Then they all went into boxes (still in alphabetical order), until a couple of months before the second move when "certain people" decided to raid the boxes an completely fucked it up. So for the second move the same boxes are used but they're all over the place. Those boxes went straight under the bed. I'd love to get back to the pre-move organisation. Can't see it happening though. I miss CDs.

I kinda think while cd's/music sits better in alphabetical, books are better served by dewey decimal or BISAC or something, with a bit of personalisation.

Books organisation will be what I think looks nice together. Having similar sized books together also is nice

Some publishers that I like make it easy to keep their books together like & Other Stories, Peirene press, and Istros.

I kinda think while cd's/music sits better in alphabetical, books are better served by dewey decimal or BISAC or something, with a bit of personalisation.
When my CDs were on shelves I had them ordered in a semantic system - not necessarily by genre but spiderwebbing from key artists. Someone like Nick Cave was a node for which related bands would be filed alongside, then spiderwebbing from them and connecting up with other nodes. Each artist was arranged in chronological order.

Now they’re all in boxes in the attic and box room. Like @pete I have ripped them all to mp3 and I sold a lot of stuff that I rarely play.

Got rid of most of my DVDs there after the last move (a couple that I was particularly attached to got dropped back to the family home). I think the CDs might be next. Only ever listen to them in the car nowadays so that's mainly where they are, strewn across every part of the banger in rag order. Or in boxes. The CD player is starting to creak a bit as well. If I get one of those bluetooth yokes for the car that might be the death knell for the collection.

If I get one of those bluetooth yokes for the car that might be the death knell for the collection.

I got one of those and really regret not spending another 20 euro to get one that also had a cd player. very handy if you use android auto though you can teach the phone to go into driving mode when it sees the car bluetooth id.

My cd's are in random ill fitting shelves squeezed in where they just about fit. A bunch are in boxes and have been selling off some. I was always more interested in having my records sorted than cds so never got anything decent for them.

When I moved to dublin,I kept all the boxes i moved my records in. Have been very grateful on a few occasions. Moving cds is a breeze in comparison to moving lps.

Used to use a bluetooth speaker for the car ,did the job.

On a vaguely related note. I need a tape player (separate) if anyone is getting rid of one.

I have some of those CD towers. When I moved two years ago I wrapped them all in shrink-wrap and transported them as they were. The shrink-wrap is still on them.

I have 5 similar to these type (not my pic)

1575383099240.png

The order needs a bit of work. Even though I haven't moved in over 17 years.
I was thinking of getting something bigger but there are pricey enough & then you have to put the fucking thing together. I still plays CDs all the time. Barely do any streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back