Cathal Coughlan (1 Viewer)

ron

Yes, on the subject of the great man's show this Sunday night (26th)and his new album out the end of June, I'm mystified as to why he's not given the credit he deserves for his brill live performances (both Mansions and solo) as well as the great allbums he's made now for yonks.

As singular, surreal, brutally honest and individual an Irish born and bred songwriter there has never been, yet the amount of 'You're It', mediocre, derivative, 'next big thing' crap you see hawked around Dublin in comparison makes the mind boggle!

Post rock my arse and ditto other instumentalist weaklings, is there anyone knocking around to touch him in a lyrical songwriting sense?

Originally posted by ron
Post rock my arse and ditto other instumentalist weaklings, is there anyone knocking around to touch him in a lyrical songwriting sense?

I would say that the Redneck Manifesto's new one that goes do, de, de, de, dooooo beats his lyrical abilities anyday. They're the next big thing ya know.

do,de,de,de,doooooo

uh...no? You're taking the mick, no?

Cut you're heart off... is a fine fine album by a fine fine band, but no, you're wrong there sparticus.

Cathal Coughlan is a great lyricist. *sob*Why does nobody appreciate good lyrics?*sob*

Why compare the two anyway? Chalk and cheese.

Originally posted by ron

Originally posted by snakybus
Why compare the two anyway? Chalk and cheese.

HE STARTED IT LOOK!
But sorry.
TRM rule, and no I haven't heard Cathal Coughlan, so no offence just being a smartass

Re: Re: Cathal Coughlan

Originally posted by sparse-icus

HE STARTED IT LOOK!
But sorry.
TRM rule, and no I haven't heard Cathal Coughlan, so no offence just being a smartass

Ah yeah I knew it. But you should check out the Fatima Mansions. A bit eighties in places, and often inconsistent and weak, but he was ahead of his time when he was on form. I went to see them in Galway yonks ago in a place called Setanta.

Ah, those idealistic, heady days of Irish indie. Microdisney, the High Llamas, Ahouse.....actually not great really, was it?

Nice to see Edward Mulhare (Knight Rider's boss) name checked as another Cork great.
With Finbarr Donnelly, Mick Lynch and Cathal now all gone - Joe MacCarthy resumes his role as Cork's greatest living frontman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back