Casual anti-Americanism (1 Viewer)

Lili Marlene ..or should I say I is JOHN! (dramatic accusation style)

6007605393_cb36f06e3c_z.jpg

I felt guilty about this when @jane brought it up first but ... ahem ... would anyone mind if I had a tiny little rant? I watched a few This Is Pop episodes on Netflix lately, hoping it'd be all the kind of technical details about music that I'm interested in. It wasn't alas, though it did have some interesting stuff, but by fuck the difference in communication style between the Swedes/Brits/Americans was stark.

Maybe it's just American showbiz people rather than Americans in general? The Swedish songwriters went on about fun they had or how they got lucky, but all the Yanks had to offer was either hero-worship or self-aggrandisement.

And then in the festival episode the footage from Glastonbury was normal-looking people trudging around with backpacks on a drizzly day, like a real festival, whereas in the footage from the Yank festivals everyone was either impossibly-young-and-gorgeous or running around like a mad yoke setting everything on fire

I dunno. I never felt like we here have much in common, culturally, with other Europeans (apart maybe from the brits), but these days I feel like we have even less in common with the Yanks

And then in the festival episode the footage from Glastonbury was normal-looking people trudging around with backpacks on a drizzly day, like a real festival, whereas in the footage from the Yank festivals everyone was either impossibly-young-and-gorgeous or running around like a mad yoke setting everything on fire
The overall above is of course a gross generalization (and if anything globalization has made Ireland and Irish culture more, not less, like the US), but your point about festivals seems spot on!

I felt guilty about this when @jane brought it up first but ... ahem ... would anyone mind if I had a tiny little rant? I watched a few This Is Pop episodes on Netflix lately, hoping it'd be all the kind of technical details about music that I'm interested in. It wasn't alas, though it did have some interesting stuff, but by fuck the difference in communication style between the Swedes/Brits/Americans was stark.

Maybe it's just American showbiz people rather than Americans in general? The Swedish songwriters went on about fun they had or how they got lucky, but all the Yanks had to offer was either hero-worship or self-aggrandisement.

I dunno. I never felt like we here have much in common, culturally, with other Europeans (apart maybe from the brits), but these days I feel like we have even less in common with the Yanks
I work with folks from the us - I think I have more in common on approaches to most practical issues, basic worldview etc with my fellow Europe’s

Our popular culture may be very us centric - but not sure the attitudes have tracked across

Of course Merica isn’t a static entity anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back