Cancelled (4 Viewers)

Hadn't realised the name had been an issue since at least 2015, they were namechecked for it an Fader article.
Comments below this are funny. "who the fuck are girl band?"

I asked you to give me a synopsis of what another human being said to you. That's not "answering for women". Do you think I can just ask any woman "what's the problem with the band name Girl Band" and get the same answer?

You said "really?, why?" I said you'd have to ask them and then you went off on one. I never said anyone said anything to me. "Plenty of women have taken umbrage" in no way means any women has said anything to me. You've jumped to a bunch of conclusions and made a bizarre assumption of me for whatever reason. Having seen a couple friends who are women in bands commend the name change in the last hour and they said pretty similar to what Sleepy has said above. Hopefully that helps.

I remember there was a similar issue with the band Preoccupations changing their name from Viet Cong a few years back. There was lots of non-Vietnamese people complaining that they’d changed their name to appease the snow flakes.

there is a significant extra layer to all of this in that vietnamese americans are, generally speaking, the exiled former elite that the communists sent packing, for whom ‘viet cong’ is politically offensive. contrast that to germany, where the significant population of vietnamese germans are almost exclusively there as a result of arriving into the old east germany, and for whom the viet cong is regarded as a heroic movement of national liberation. so they might not like a band called viet cong because it’s all white dudes, but they’d probably have no problem with the name politically.

You say Gilla

I think..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

the bastards

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They defo had two at some point.
yeah, I was a big fan. Their bass player and their drummer at the time they split up

*I'm assuming they identify as female

though Phil, the guitarist mentioned on instagram that he/they identifies as non-binary (can't remember exactly the wording he/they used)

PS I'm shit at pronouns

Throwing Muses were originally called The Muses until a man joined them, but then women tend to be more sensitive about these things don't they? #yesallmen

yeah, I was a big fan. Their bass player and their drummer at the time they split up

*I'm assuming they identify as female

though Phil, the guitarist mentioned on instagram that he/they identifies as non-binary (can't remember exactly the wording he/they used)

PS I'm shit at pronouns

they/them :)

“We are changing our band name. We will no longer be performing or releasing songs under the name Girl Band. We apologise for choosing a misgendered name in the first place and to anyone who has been hurt or affected by it."

Tell me this is a wind up?....please.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back