Cancelled (5 Viewers)

I haven't read that book but my friend who's a tour guide in a concentration camp in Germany loathes it. He's not afraid of upsetting well meaning but dumb Americans who cite it to him.

the book presents a tragedy where a young innocent german kid is accidentally killed in the concentration camp. that's kinda problematic.

EDIT: Actually meant to quote @egg_ there.

think because it papers over the horror of it and complicity of the general public. I don't think he'd mind me quoting him:

"[30/01, 12:24] +49 **********: Very good. You have no idea the amount of times people on tours mention to me The Boy in the Stripes Pyjamas and how it affected them or how it taught them about the Holocaust. I have to tell them something like 'that's nice, but you have to realise it's complete fiction and never happened and you should read an actual historical source or biography'. Last year the Auschwitz memorial basically had to tell people to stop using that book to study what happened at Auschwitz-Birkenau as it is a work of fantasy and has ZERO historical value, and they are completely right about that. Now, when it comes to teaching kids, particularly American kids, about the Holocaust I know that they have been using Maus for decades to slowly introduce children into the time period, so by the time they are older they will have a better understanding of bigotry, anti Semitism and how groups like the Nazis came to power. But I think removing the "unpleasant stuff" because it might upset some children is insanely wrong and will lead within one or two school generations to this stuff being sidelined altogether.
[30/01, 12:30] +49 **********: It's part of a much wider ranging problem in the USA of helicopter, or more recently "bulldozer" parenting removing any obstacles or upsetting material that the kids might not like, and then the kids as adults can't handle tough or upsetting situations. It also something I can definitely see developing here in western Europe too. If you can read "The Coddling of the American Mind" as it explains it better than I can."

... but having said that I don't think every novel set during A Bad Thing needs to reflect the full horror of that thing. Writers can write what they want, I reckon

(but having said that I've never read The Boy In the Striped Pyjamas, so maybe I'd hate it too)

... but having said that I don't think every novel set during A Bad Thing needs to reflect the full horror of that thing. Writers can write what they want, I reckon

(but having said that I've never read The Boy In the Striped Pyjamas, so maybe I'd hate it too)

At this point many objections to the book are wrapped up in how much of a dick the author is.

i also think it's an issue if the book is used as a teaching aid about the holocaust. which is what seems to have happened; because then it's being presented to kids as somehow representative.

would be interesting to dig out a copy of 'across the barricades' and see how well that has weathered.

i also think it's an issue if the book is used as a teaching aid about the holocaust. which is what seems to have happened; because then it's being presented to kids as somehow representative.

would be interesting to dig out a copy of 'across the barricades' and see how well that has weathered.
Read that in school, I don't remember so well but it seemed decent enough really.

and surely adults should know TBITSPs is a watered down kids book?!

The Silver Sword by Ian Serrelier is the same type of thing for previous generations of kids.
in the post war chaos of 1945 you are supposed to believe these kids who have gotten separated from their folks travel across Germany unaccompanied to be reunited with them. and it's really badly written.

From yas kween to eww, racist much? in record time. Bravo 👏🏻

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

From yas kween to eww, racist much? in record time. Bravo 👏🏻

Was it racist or was it just demeaning their accomplishments because they were only competing against women?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back