Cancelled (5 Viewers)

It's always the nutjobs in work obsessed with "tells" and counter intuitive ways of manipulating people that are into evolutionary psychology. I declare the entire field a scam run by psychopaths.

I am cancelling evolutionary psychology.

That was an interesting few pages. I agree with shitepipe. I thought his way of thinking was de riguer in polite society these days? Maybe since the author was taking it as a given that we knew what she really meant it confused the issue. But I guess egg is talking about scientists doing science.

Also, thank you egg for introducing me to SA. Obviously I'd heard of it, but never looked at it, and I need the reading material.

haha

that's not what evolutionary psychology is about at all, but nutjobs gonna nutjob
you can't use thermodynamics to try to justify your dickish behaviour in the same way you can try to use evolutionary psychology, though.
'what you gonna do, black body radiation's gonna black body radiate, that's why it's ok for me to be a cock'.

I had a really quick look through this, I guess they are suggesting that noticeable effects of slavery as a modifier of current populations could be still seen today, in the form of an over-representation of female associated DNA.

So they aren't saying the overrepresentation of typically sub Saharan Africans in athletics is related to slavery. (They aren't commenting on that.)

But they are saying that they think there's at least something going on with this population that's unusual.
They seem to be saying that despite the fact that relatively few female slaves were brought over, those female individuals had a higher than expected impact on the current population, and this could be explained by most males not surviving long enough to be able to pass on their genetics.

There is so much in this thread that I should probably address but I don’t know where to start…

In the meantime, evolutionary psychology is a massively flawed field though, largely “Just so” stories and confirmation biases dressed up as evolutionary fact. It’s not all like that but the field is very much polluted by a lot of crap. Probably no more than other fields but quack evolutionary psychologists always seem to be asked onto the radio or give public lectures. There is absolutely a place for comparative psychology across the animal kingdom but those who put forward reasonable arguments are buried under the Jordan Petersons of the world.

I’ll come back to genetics and behaviour tomorrow, and then I’ll tackle biases in medical data over the weekend. We’ll see what’s left then and the test will be an MCQ at the start of February.

haha

that's not what evolutionary psychology is about at all, but nutjobs gonna nutjob

(aiui evolutionary psychology is just ethology where the animals being studied are humans)

I had thought that a lot of the problems derived from the fact that evolution is a gene-level process, not an organism-level one, but that a lot of people get this backwards, and suddenly turn into proto-nazi social-darwinists dressing their biases up as science

It's always the nutjobs in work obsessed with "tells" and counter intuitive ways of manipulating people that are into evolutionary psychology. I declare the entire field a scam run by psychopaths.

I am cancelling evolutionary psychology.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back