Cancelled (2 Viewers)

Neurodiverse is an incredibly useful term but sanity/insanity isn’t really part of what neurodiverse reflects. On a related note, my wife just finished reading Neurotribes by Steve Silberman and said it was excellent at framing what exactly neurodiverse means and how disability has been shaped over the past 100-200 years. It sounded fascinating.

i assume it just means 'our brains work in different ways' rather than delving into 'our brains can malfunction in different ways'?
Exactly. ASD, ADHD, dyspraxia, dyslexia, etc. have things that societally are found to be “unacceptable” or “defective” - however it’s clear that these individuals have strengths too that are often absent in neurotypical individuals. I mean, it’s clearly all more complicated than this but the neurodiversity movement is possibly the most radical and fundamentally needed changes in our understanding of pretty much everything about the brain and mind since Phineas Gage took a tamping iron through his skull.

just don't make the mistake i did and read 'the man who mistook his wife for a hat' on the day i got royally stoned for the first time and then get the blinding realisation that everything he had mentioned in the book was now happening to me, and my brain would be stuck like that forever.

yet another reason to cancel this wanker

Exactly. ASD, ADHD, dyspraxia, dyslexia, etc. have things that societally are found to be “unacceptable” or “defective” - however it’s clear that these individuals have strengths too that are often absent in neurotypical individuals. I mean, it’s clearly all more complicated than this but the neurodiversity movement is possibly the most radical and fundamentally needed changes in our understanding of pretty much everything about the brain and mind since Phineas Gage took a tamping iron through his skull.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Dyslexia is a funny one. It must have existed before we invented writing, but we couldn't have known about it
I had a brilliant conversation with a speech neurologist/therapist about how dyslexia manifests in languages with different structures and written forms.

I was just about able to keep up and have forgotten most of it mind…

I had a brilliant conversation with a speech neurologist/therapist about how dyslexia manifests in languages with different structures and written forms.

I was just about able to keep up and have forgotten most of it mind…
Dyslexia doesn’t really exist in Italian as the words are pronounced exactly as written, there’s no funny business like we have in English with words like rough and though.

Taht's grrnad and all. But sreiosuly lsad, waht's teh befenit fo dilesxya?
Dyslexia is framed as a problem with reading but when you actually study people with dyslexia they show enhancements in other areas of cognition and tasks like visualising spatial arrangements. And the fact that only dyslexia’s weaknesses are discussed reinforces the need for the neurodiversity movement.

yet another reason to cancel this wanker

Seth Putnam was right about Eric.
I'd be happy to donate to towards paying her bills. she really should do a gofundme.
I always laugh when I think Clapton played on Zappa's We're Only In It For The Money.

best comments:
"Eric Clapton would never let a bag of cocaine fall out a window"
"The saddest part of the story is that she had to keep the CD"

Dyslexia is framed as a problem with reading but when you actually study people with dyslexia they show enhancements in other areas of cognition and tasks like visualising spatial arrangements. And the fact that only dyslexia’s weaknesses are discussed reinforces the need for the neurodiversity movement.
neurodiversity sounds like another word for brainstorm.
I am a mentaler and refer to myself as such.
as a victim of growing up in Ireland, I reject the word 'survivor' which makes me think of Rocky 3 and the WWF.

neurodiversity sounds like another word for brainstorm.
I am a mentaler and refer to myself as such.
as a victim of growing up in Ireland, I reject the word 'survivor' which makes me think of Rocky 3 and the WWF.
It’s really not. It’s probably closer to the reframing of gender and sexuality by the LGBT+ community. Neurodiversity was created by the autistic community to reject the idea of defective individuals which is a product of a patriarchal medical model which fetishises freak show over inclusiveness.

So many aspects of disability are social constructs and neurodiversity is challenging many of these societal norms, things like autism-friendly times in the supermarket are equivalent to the ramp to wheelchair users when we think of physical disabilities. If you see it as threatening in any way, you really need to reflect on that and question why you feel like that because neurodiversity isn’t the problem…

It’s really not. It’s probably closer to the reframing of gender and sexuality by the LGBT+ community. Neurodiversity was created by the autistic community to reject the idea of defective individuals which is a product of a patriarchal medical model which fetishises freak show over inclusiveness.

So many aspects of disability are social constructs and neurodiversity is challenging many of these societal norms, things like autism-friendly times in the supermarket are equivalent to the ramp to wheelchair users when we think of physical disabilities. If you see it as threatening in any way, you really need to reflect on that and question why you feel like that because neurodiversity isn’t the problem…
I simply pointed out that that was the first thing to come to mind. the other two points were separate.

POC and African American seem to have gone out of favour but I'll go along with every adjective or pronoun people want to use for themselves.

having a lots of experience of mental health stuff I am not a fan of terms like 'mindfulness' or 'advocacy'
they just sound like catchphrases which will get dated.

people should use whatever terms they want to describe themselves and not have to use standardised terms they haven't chosen or don't like.

never heard term neurodiversity until today...
of the articles I just read on neurodiversity this was the most informative.
an Australian sociologist Judy Singer came up with the term in the 90's. she has autism so she's entitled to coin the term.

the only adult I know who is autistic did some visual tests where they were shown multiple images of complex designs that had almost undetectable differences and asked to pick the odd one out.
they immediately got the right answer every time.
this is not uncommon for autistic folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back