Cancelled (3 Viewers)

I was expecting some sweet banjo and mandolin singalongs, imagine my outrage!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Playing with Ulster,from Brazil

from the perspective of the kids, I suppose I’m a product of my times, just like the racist grandad of yore. and maybe that’s for the best. it’s their world now.
It's still our world too, right? Isn't it a bit of a cop-out on our part not to call out ill-informed youthful nonsense when we see it? I sure as shit am wiser than I was 30 years ago, if I ran around trying to appease my 20 year old self my life would be a disaster

the band I.R.A. from Medellin name stands for heart attack in Spanish - Infection Repository Attack or something like that.

I have heard a lot of punk, metal, grind bands from Medellin from the mid 80's to early 90's and they were all very, very good to awesome.

The 'best' inapproiate words used in this thread are lame and dumb. Both only went out fashion in the US in the 2010's.

Rapeman was a Japanese comic that later (after the band split up) became anime films.

The comics inspired Albini's idea that decent people could enjoy something very messed up but be otherwise benign.

Remember Girls Against Boys? a male band, from 90's Riot Girl era.

As far as the artists formerly known as Girl Band go, they probably got sick of being asked about the name and have got plenty of publicity for their new one, without having to bring a guy on stage and piss on him.

I was expecting some sweet banjo and mandolin singalongs, imagine my outrage!!

remember when Sepultura nearly got cancelled around the time of Chaos A.D? They thanked a Brazilian band called ira in album notes, and played a few one-off gigs (before the proper album tour) called terror attacks.

by way of comparison...

I always thought rapeman was a stupid, offensive, sexist name for a band (and I saw in a recent interview that apparently albini now agrees, just thirty years too late)

but at the same time I always tended to give it a pass of sorts, in the context of the times. rapeman was just one more gross-out name in amongst anal cunt, piss christ, nailbomb, midget handjob, butthole surfers, 1000 homo DJs, john cougar concentration camp, etc, etc, etc. — another entry in the grand tradition of shock as performative strategy.

so the girl band thing seems... trivial? I don’t know what word to use here that doesn’t seem dismissive: I’m not trying to be dismissive about it.

from the perspective of the kids, I suppose I’m a product of my times, just like the racist grandad of yore. and maybe that’s for the best. it’s their world now. interesting to read the perspectives here, might go seek out some from the young uns too.

and for the band, if they think this is what’s best, all good.
Just admit that this is you

I was actually getting the impression from all of this that they decided on the name change themselves rather than being coerced into it. That they probably came up with the name naively but had moved on since...

...I’d say it’s something similar with Gilla Band
I read that press release as a little from column A and a little from column B tbh.

Anywhoo I'm glad that they've moved away from appropration and look forward to the old Irish element that they are going to bring to their music and lyrics.

Manky would be good to.

I remember nearly 30 years ago reading some discourse about what then known as Political Correctness slowing down activism and we needed to pull together and 'get on with it'.

I didn't agree and thought surely both should be possible.

But increased tolerance of minority groups has somehow ended up in indentity divisions.
And the right wing American white male cohort (formerly thought of themselves as simply 'Americans') got a billionaire psychopath elected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back